5AF's 2018-19 Premier Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

Morkle

5AF's 2018-19 Premier Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

Postby Morkle » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:17 pm

don't know how you can even be sad, you should have seen this coming with 12 minutes left in the fourth.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:23 pm

don't know how you can even be sad, you should have seen this coming with 12 minutes left in the fourth.
I just get angry that football coaches (college and pro) make big bucks when anyone who grew up playing Madden could do a better job of managing a game and calling plays.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:26 pm

How exciting. It's a shame they have to play a second half.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:14 pm

I’m sad because those kids had that game then the Nardawg did his thing

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:41 pm

Imagine going into week 8 and not being in control of your own destiny in the conference. H2P

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:44 am

I felt like the meme with the sweating guy having to press one of two buttons yesterday. But damn the "NOTRE DAME OUR MOTHER" crap all over social media reaffirmed how badly I wanted them to lose.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:39 am

Pomp posted a clip on Twitter of the bullsh!t pass interference call on Jackson that helped continue the ND drive that resulted in their go-ahead TD.

Someone replied that the back judge that threw that flag - Gary Dancewicz - is the exact same official that threw the flag on the K’Waun Williams phantom PI call in 2012. Dancewicz’s father was an All-American QB for Notre Dame in the 1940s.

None of this absolves Pitt’s coaching staff of the beyond-bonehead mistakes they made on their own when they cost their kids that game yesterday, but this is just another thing I’m going to be angry about today.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:22 am

Pomp posted a clip on Twitter of the bullsh!t pass interference call on Jackson that helped continue the ND drive that resulted in their go-ahead TD.

Someone replied that the back judge that threw that flag - Gary Dancewicz - is the exact same official that threw the flag on the K’Waun Williams phantom PI call in 2012. Dancewicz’s father was an All-American QB for Notre Dame in the 1940s.

None of this absolves Pitt’s coaching staff of the beyond-bonehead mistakes they made on their own when they cost their kids that game yesterday, but this is just another thing I’m going to be angry about today.
Acc refs are no help

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:57 am

Update: Kenny the kangaroo's road record now sits at 4-15 (.211 winning percentage). Next chance for a loss: Pitt UVA in two weeks under the Friday night lights

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:02 am

It's better that they lost. We wouldn't want any misplaced encouragement.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:14 am

Update: Kenny the kangaroo's road record now sits at 4-15 (.211 winning percentage). Next chance for a loss: Pitt UVA in two weeks under the Friday night lights
Thank you for your service

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:55 am

They're dangerously close to being 5-2 and undefeated in the conference. This is what they do

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:05 pm

This guy sometimes has some good insights, but the majority of the time is the most miserable, self-loathing Pitt fan you could possibly conjure up. I dont know why I go to his site sometimes, so mark this down as me hate-reading him:

https://pittpov.com/2018/10/15/povs-mmq ... o-nd-2018/
When I watched Kenny Pickett being interviewed about that foolish fake punt on our 2nd to last possession and heard him say this my heart dropped a bit:

It’s coach Duzz’s call, and I back him till death,” Pickett said. “I love that guy to death, so whatever he thinks is best, is best. You know, everyone else wants to be a football expert out in this world and they have no clue what the hell they’re talking about — a majority of the time.

“No offense to any of you guys [in the media] but sometimes it’s you guys, too. That’s just the flat-out truth of it. That’s coach Duzz’s call, and I back him 100 percent.”

That language and the “Us against the world.” mentality behind it is absolutely not what you want to hear come out of the mouth of a 20 year old college student – football player or not. To me it smacks of delusion and used-car salesman leadership.

Granted he’s a young man but he’s no novice in being interviewed…a simple “That’s not my decision to discuss” not only would have sufficed but thown the blame spotlight squarely back where it belongs – glaring directly into Narduzi’s eyes. That was a sad thing to happen in a season of surprises, both good and bad.

What a jackass. The coaching decision was positively atrocious -- just run your offense you moron, no one is falling for a fake in that context -- but to claim that the starting QB backing up his coach in the post-game presser is somehow "sad" or that Kenneth Shane Pickett's responsibility in a press conference after a brutal loss is to "throw the blame spotlight squarely" on his coach...what an assclown. There are too many dudes like this guy in this fanbase, no matter how disillusioned one can fairly be after 30 years of *gestures broadly* this.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:41 pm

This guy sometimes has some good insights, but the majority of the time is the most miserable, self-loathing Pitt fan you could possibly conjure up. I dont know why I go to his site sometimes, so mark this down as me hate-reading him:

https://pittpov.com/2018/10/15/povs-mmq ... o-nd-2018/
When I watched Kenny Pickett being interviewed about that foolish fake punt on our 2nd to last possession and heard him say this my heart dropped a bit:

It’s coach Duzz’s call, and I back him till death,” Pickett said. “I love that guy to death, so whatever he thinks is best, is best. You know, everyone else wants to be a football expert out in this world and they have no clue what the hell they’re talking about — a majority of the time.

“No offense to any of you guys [in the media] but sometimes it’s you guys, too. That’s just the flat-out truth of it. That’s coach Duzz’s call, and I back him 100 percent.”

That language and the “Us against the world.” mentality behind it is absolutely not what you want to hear come out of the mouth of a 20 year old college student – football player or not. To me it smacks of delusion and used-car salesman leadership.

Granted he’s a young man but he’s no novice in being interviewed…a simple “That’s not my decision to discuss” not only would have sufficed but thown the blame spotlight squarely back where it belongs – glaring directly into Narduzi’s eyes. That was a sad thing to happen in a season of surprises, both good and bad.

What a jackass. The coaching decision was positively atrocious -- just run your offense you moron, no one is falling for a fake in that context -- but to claim that the starting QB backing up his coach in the post-game presser is somehow "sad" or that Kenneth Shane Pickett's responsibility in a press conference after a brutal loss is to "throw the blame spotlight squarely" on his coach...what an assclown. There are too many dudes like this guy in this fanbase, no matter how disillusioned one can fairly be after 30 years of *gestures broadly* this.
I agree. I've lost a lot of faith in Narduzzi's ability to get this program beyond the levels that Harris & Wanny achieved but this seems like an awful reach when it comes to legitimate criticism. Yes, this season has been disappointing - not so much because of the record but because of how they've looked in 3 of the 4 losses. Yes, Narduzzi still looks lost at times. Yes, the offense is still one-dimensional hot garbage. That said, the defense HAS been better these last two games. They had some extended lapses against Syracuse but they parlayed that into the best overall effort of Narduzzi's tenure 1) on the road 2) against the 5th-ranked team in the country AND 3) down one of their best players.

So no, I've got no issue with what Pickett said. Honestly, if he answers the way Reed wanted him to, the very same segment of the fan base that's criticizing Pickett for what he DID say would seize upon it immediately and turn it into evidence that Narduzzi is losing the team. I can just see the "OH, HIS OWN QUARTERBACK WON'T EVEN DEFEND HIM SO NARDUZZI HAS LOST THE ROOM WHEN IS PICKETT TRANSFERRING FLAIL FLAIL FLAIL" comments from a few specific people on Reed's site now.

All that does is create more distractions that these players don't need, especially now. They're now entering the most crucial stretch of their schedule, and the last two games could be evidence that they're finally turning a corner, even if it's turning slowly. It's something to build on with a schedule that sees them staring at three straight matchups that appear winnable and their ACC destiny still in their hands, as unbelievable as that is to say.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:50 pm

I've been more critical of Narduzzi than anyone in this topic, but while the timing and execution of the fake punt left a lot to be desired, the idea was **** genius. Shoulda used it in the first half when it wasn't an obvious time for it.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:25 pm

Agree with both of your posts. That Jeff George thing was creative as hell; just not the right time as you say DD.

Big picture here is: "Pitt, 2018 ACC Coastal Champions."

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:28 pm

The first 30,000 fans at the VT game will receive a Bill Hillgrove bobblehead. Heck yes. Can't wait for the Pittsburgh Dad Jr. mock yinzer tweets on this bad boy

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:37 pm

My chief complaint with the fake punt was they were on the right hash. If they were on the left hash, I bet that ish works

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:44 am

The first 30,000 fans at the VT game will receive a Bill Hillgrove bobblehead. Heck yes. Can't wait for the Pittsburgh Dad Jr. mock yinzer tweets on this bad boy
Bill Hillgrove is an underrated Pittsburgh legend. I can't tell you how many times I've heard his voice listening to Steeler and Pitt games from the past 35 or so years. Even if the Pitt basketball team is 0-18, I will still tune in if I'm in the car to listen to him and Dick Groat.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:23 am

The good ole days of the Jamie Dixon Experience.
Six years ago this month began a journey that ended up being too brief for Pitt basketball fans, but, by his own estimation, much too long for former Panthers center Steven Adams.

Vaguely outlined in his new autobiography — titled “My Life, My Fight: Rising Up From New Zealand To The OKC Thunder” — the 7-foot, 250-pound five-star center prospect Jamie Dixon lured to Pitt was all set to go play somewhere new. And for someone new, rather than the only college coach he had ever known, introduced to him by mentor Kenny McFadden, Dixon’s former teammate in New Zealand.

Adams, almost always regarded as a witty, candid personality in the basketball world, notes early on that Pitt was his only option at the time he committed, and he went there because they offered him first. He is brutally honest in the book about his college experience, writing that he felt “restricted” by Dixon’s philosophy, both for him and any big man in the program. It also helps explain why he steadfastly stated he’d be back for his sophomore season, only to abruptly leave school and declare for the 2013 NBA draft less than two weeks after Pitt’s season-ending loss to Wichita State in the first round of the NCAA tournament:
“In reality, my freshman college season was pretty good. I put up decent numbers and didn’t show any major weaknesses. But because I hadn’t enjoyed it, I finished our final game just relieved to be getting a break,” Adams wrote with co-author Madeleine Chapman.

“I had complained to Kenny [McFadden] a lot during that season, and he promised he would start looking for other college options after I told him there was no way I could play four years being so restricted. Since then I’ve heard that some top coaches will restrict a potential draft pick in their freshman year because it forces them to return to school the following year.”

“To Coach Dixon, I was a big man for rebounds and dunks and nothing else,” he wrote. “Kenny had spent countless hours drilling into me that no matter what position you play, you should have a full skillset. But pretty quickly I found my skillset diminishing as the bigs only worked on ‘big’ stuff and had no time for shooting or ball handling. If I shot a mid-range floater — my new favorite shot — during a game, I’d be told off and benched. … That wasn’t the game I wanted to play; it was the game I was forced to play.”
He hated Pitt’s strength and conditioning program, to the extent that he “thought seriously about chucking it all in, quitting America and going home to New Zealand where I was more comfortable.” His moniker for the weight room was “meathead training” because he didn’t see how it helped him as a basketball player.
And off the court, he laments how easy his studies were at Pitt. Adams insists he was interesting in farming, and wanted to take classes that were closer to the field of agriculture, or in math and science, but discovered “I’d already been put in some of the easiest elective courses.”

“It’s a weird situation because I think the athletic department assumed that all the basketball players wanted to do the least schoolwork possible and worked out their timetables for them,” Adams continued.

He concedes that he didn’t need any of the learning or studying habits he developed in the New Zealand educational system, and that he “basically didn’t go to school” because his assignments were so open-ended. “I’d just go to the exam, write an essay on what I thought about a topic, and get really good grades.”
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt ... 1810180121

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:40 am

tldr Jamie Dixon made Steven Adams want to "quit America." Bravo, Jamie.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:02 am

Looks like Steven Adams and I had the same experience in college.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:38 am

I like Adams but his takes about his role at pitt are awful

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:09 am

Pitt volleyball team kicking ass and taking names. That was a fun match this Sunday.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:37 am

Bill Hillgrove is an underrated Pittsburgh legend. I can't tell you how many times I've heard his voice listening to Steeler and Pitt games from the past 35 or so years. Even if the Pitt basketball team is 0-18, I will still tune in if I'm in the car to listen to him and Dick Groat.
My one and only encounter with Bill Hillgrove: I think it was the summer of 2002. Pitt football had their pre-season FanFest event at the old SportsWorks building that was across from the Carnegie Science Center. I went down to the event with another one of my friends. We're standing at a stoplight waiting to cross North Shore Drive to head over the building and get in line to go in. As we look across the intersection to the building, we realize there was already a pretty good logjam of people trying to get in.

While we're standing there waiting on the light to cross, we hear a familiar voice next to us. It's Bill Hillgrove. He was emceeing one of the events there and he's with someone else...I'm not sure who. He has a Pitt polo shirt on a pair of sunglasses. He's scanning over the crowd and as he does, he grimaces and just goes...

"I'll tell you what...I don't have a f*cking clue how we're gonna get in there."

He wasn't angry or loud or anything but it was absolutely, completely disarming to hear him drop an F-bomb.