5AF's 2018-19 Premier Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

NAN

5AF's 2018-19 Premier Pittsburgh Super Panthers Football Thread (and Basketball)

Postby NAN » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:37 am

In Chronological order:

Cuse (when mcnabb was there and the marsupial was in middle school)
UNC
VT
Toledo
Tire Bowl
Cuse again
Fiesta Bowl
Louisville
Cuse
Rutgers (lol)
Utah
ND
VT
Navy
Little Ceasars (fun)
Akron
OK State
Clemson (ok time)
ND
UVA
Nice list. I've edited mine to include bowl games. Bowl games are a blast IMO, no matter how big or small.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:50 am

you have seen some really shitty games

I greatly regret not going to Iowa. My bros went there both times, and they loved it each time.

Every road trip is a fun time. College towns are generally awesome.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:01 am

a. pitt hoops won their first game, so that is nice.

b. looking to get some input from da fans on what everyone thinks pitt needs to do to win the rest of the games. an improved passing game would be a start, but I think consistency on defense and shtty qb play from opposing teams would help more.
If they play like they did vs Virginia they will win out. If they can somehow figure out how to pass block and make effective play action passes on top of that they can win the last three handily. Or they can play like they did at UNC and go 0-3

Look pal, its not changing. This team does one thing at an elite level and that is maraud d-lines with sheer force and run two large, strong men at 230lbs at you for 60 minutes. They cannot pass block consistently. Even when they do on an individual play, Kenneth Shane Pickett has happy feet and takes off too early. Shawn Watson is incapable of understanding how to deploy an effective play-action game, slant routes, or his TEs (and the TEs probably stink as receivers anyway).

But listen chief, VaTech is 85th in I-A against the run. Wake is 115th. The U, however, is 23rd (and that doesn't mean Pitt can't run the ball on the U, either; I believe UVA was 20th against the run coming into last Friday and we demolished their D-line).

If the D continues its improvement week over week as has been the case, I feel pretty good about these next two. Really do not want to be in a situation where they need to beat Miami on the road if they go 1-1 or 0-2 (if they go 0-2 and beat Miami, they need a very minor amount of help to win the Coastal if they tie with a bunch of other teams at 5-3).

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:08 am

If they play like they did vs Virginia they will win out. If they can somehow figure out how to pass block and make effective play action passes on top of that they can win the last three handily. Or they can play like they did at UNC and go 0-3
I mean, did they really play that well against UVA? Or the cuse for that matter? Pitt won both games, so they deserve credit where credit is due. But that doesn't mean they can continue to play the way they did against the cuse or uva or duke and expect to win six games playing in a manner that leaves no margin for error. imo pitt isn't good enough to wait around and hope for hall to bust a 75 yard run or another 50+ yard field goal. something has to change

imo

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:14 am

I am not aware that Pitt has any TE's on its roster.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:16 am

If the D continues its improvement week over week as has been the case, I feel pretty good about these next two. Really do not want to be in a situation where they need to beat Miami on the road if they go 1-1 or 0-2 (if they go 0-2 and beat Miami, they need a very minor amount of help to win the Coastal if they tie with a bunch of other teams at 5-3).
a. good take on the pitt offense imo

b. regarding the d: Is it improvement from the D or just the fact that pitt is playing crappy quarterbacks? on one hand, uva's qb stunk. On the other hand, I thought pitt played with 5 DBs more in the second half, and the defense looked noticeably better in the second half. they had some formations with two lbs and some formations with 3 down linemen.

wake's qb is hurt. Miami's qb situation is laughable. vt's qb kind of stinks. that matches up well for pitt.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:17 am

I mean, did they really play that well against UVA? Or the cuse for that matter? Pitt won both games, so they deserve credit where credit is due. But that doesn't mean they can continue to play the way they did against the cuse or uva or duke and expect to win six games playing in a manner that leaves no margin for error. imo pitt isn't good enough to wait around and hope for hall to bust a 75 yard run or another 50+ yard field goal. something has to change

imo
The #13 in the CFP Playoff rankings and 7-2 Cuse Disrespector has logged onto 5AF

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:18 am

child please

Syracuse sucked. you saw it with your own eyes.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:19 am

b. regarding the d: Is it improvement from the D or just the fact that pitt is playing crappy quarterbacks? on one hand, uva's qb stunk. On the other hand, I thought pitt played with 5 DBs more in the second half, and the defense looked noticeably better in the second half. they had some formations with two lbs and some formations with 3 down linemen.

wake's qb is hurt. Miami's qb situation is laughable. vt's qb kind of stinks. that matches up well for pitt.
They are getting an actual pass rush from the D-line is the main difference

Nice of Hendrix to have his first good game in the history of his Pitt career, for example. Rashad Weaver is problematic for O-lines.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:23 am

child please

Syracuse sucked. you saw it with your own eyes.
They are decent. They're the only ones not to get blown off the field by Clemson and they have a win against a top 15 team. They seem like a 7-8 win team, so they will end up over-achieving their "true" talent.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:30 am

They are getting an actual pass rush from the D-line is the main difference

Nice of Hendrix to have his first good game in the history of his Pitt career, for example. Rashad Weaver is problematic for O-lines.
Pass rush is probably the biggest difference I've noticed on defense in the past couple weeks.

UPS - 1 sack, 1 QBH
GT - 1 sack, 5 QBH because their offense requires the QB to get hit
UNC - 1 sack, 2 QBH
UCF - 1 sack, 1 QBH
Cuse - 2 sacks, 7 QBH
UND - 3 sacks, 3 QBH
Dook - 2 sacks, 6 QBH
UVA - 5 sacks, 0 QBH because they just sacked him the entire time

Coverage has still been spotty, Zeise has never met a wheel route that he can't figure out how to cover, but getting to the QB and forcing turnovers makes a huge difference.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:40 am

b. looking to get some input from da fans on what everyone thinks pitt needs to do to win the rest of the games. an improved passing game would be a start, but I think consistency on defense and shtty qb play from opposing teams would help more.
Look pal, its not changing.
Yeah. My "somehow" was supposed to read more like "if there is in act of God that helps them figure this out".. I'm in agreement

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:41 am

imo
Pitt played an excellent game vs Virginia. Defense played the best game of the year, and the offense did what they do best and demolished UVA's front seven. Cuse is a different story but they are better than you are letting on and they came out with a W.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:42 am

Look pal, its not changing.
Yeah. My "somehow" was supposed to read more like "if there is in act of God that helps them figure this out".. I'm in agreement
#blessup Pitt passing game

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:23 pm

Peak posted this on the PL board but I thought this bore mentioning, especially since this weekend's game is the last home game for the redshirt seniors:
The current redshirt seniors were part of the class of 2014, which was the last recruiting class signed by Paul Chryst. That means next year's redshirt seniors were from the class of 2015 - Pat Narduzzi's first class. Assuming Narduzzi is the head coach next season, that class of 2015 will be the first to play five years under the same head coach at Pitt since the class of 2006.
2006. That was the class that brought in Jason Pinkston, Dorin Dickerson, Nate Byham, Greg Romeus, Aaron Berry, and John Malecki.

The last part of Peak's statement is very much a sad testament to the damage that Steve Pederson's incompetence did to this program.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:31 pm

That's how you get a bunch of NFL stars and 6-6 records

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:23 pm

That 2006 class is something.

https://pittsburgh.rivals.com/commitments/football/2006

Aaron berry, Dorin Dickerson, Greg Romeus, Jason Pinkston, Jeff Otah, John Malecki, and Nate byham all either got drafted or spent some time in the NFL. Kevean smith has 500 mlb plate appearances.

Dan Loheyde and Greg Webster never got to play becuase of injuries. Actually Webster had chron’s disease or something.

Dexter Davidson, Mackenzie Matthews, and Kevin collier all flamed out.

Rickie Gary was just wierd.

Then there are Aaron smith, Elijah fields, jovani Chappell, and tj porter. Aaron smith got kicked off the team then robbed jason pinkston at gunpoint. Elijah fields had more than a few drug problems. Jovanni Chappell had his own drug problems and robbed a bank in greenfield several years after he was done at pitt. Tj porter is shady’s personal caddy and goon.

Aundre right is a police officer.

Wanny knew how to pick em.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:33 pm

Sticky Ricky Gary had an all time twitter account

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:15 am

The guys from that class who got NFL time is quite a collection as well. Berry was arrested multiple times in his NFL career and is somehow still in the CFL. Dickerson was a man without a position and used practice squads and injured lists to make some money. Romeus probably would have been a stud but never got on the field due to injuries. Otah was a stud tackle who played only four games after his second season due to knee injuries. Malecki hung around the league for four years before finally dressing for a single game. Byham's 40 yard time at the combine was slower than most offensive linemen, yet he still got drafted, hung around the league for four years, and finished with as many career catches as Scorin Dorin.

Honestly, Kevan Smith and his 281/318/376/694 career split might have the most successful pro career out of that list.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:47 am

don't forget that pinkston had to retire due to blood clots.

Rocco

Postby Rocco » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:16 pm

Congrats in advance on your Coastal division title. Please ruin Clemson's day in the ACC title game.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:22 pm

Congrats in advance on your Coastal division title. Please ruin Clemson's day in the ACC title game.
Is a @Rocco jinx like an @shafnutz05 jinx?!?!?!

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:30 pm

Rocco

Postby Rocco » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:59 pm

The team is a mess and Fuente is stealing money. Pitt wins by 2 scores.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:12 pm

The team is a mess and Fuente is stealing money. Pitt wins by 2 scores.
You’re not a Fuente guy? I thought he was nearly universally beloved there.