Star Trek Discussion (Spoilers)

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:55 am

While TOS seems quite dated now, it really was the bomb in the early - mid 70's.

TNG was great, DS9 was good. I only watched a few Voyager episodes and don't really remember it.
I watched TOS for the first time a couple years ago and enjoyed it immensely. It's pretty campy, but does hold up well.
The reboot movies suck. Discovery sucks. Everything after DS9 sucks. The Orville is a better Star Trek show than anything actually called Star Trek since the end of DS9.
I almost agree completely, but I did enjoy Beyond. Haven't seen Discovery yet, so I can't weigh in on that. The Orville is indeed awesome.
Haven't seen Beyond or Discovery, otherwise I'd also agree.

First I've heard of The Orville. I'll have to check it out.
It's damn good. A much lighter sci-fi than most of whats out there now, with a blend of humor too. Seth McFarlane loved TNG and you can tell when watching it. Plus, there has been a couple Trek cameos already.
While TOS seems quite dated now, it really was the bomb in the early - mid 70's.

TNG was great, DS9 was good. I only watched a few Voyager episodes and don't really remember it.

The best thing about watching the old stuff is the datedness. Hippies on TOS... great stuff. While the social commentary (and acting) of TOS is sometimes a little strained, it is actually watchable. A lot of the first couple season of TNG are actually difficult to rewatch.

DS9 was the best for me. Martok, Garak, and Worf (better done than on TNG) were great characters. Jeffrey Combs nailed it every time he was on screen.

Voyager was insanely hit or miss.

Enterprise tried, but just seemed to fall short most of the time.
Jefferey Combs is a goddamn legend. He was great as Shran in Enterprise, too.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:40 am

Agree with Jim on early seasons on TNG: those are like watching The Simpsons on the Tracy Ullnan (sp?) Show.

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:34 am

Ships.

It seems like most people lean towards various Federation ships as their favorites. However, I trend towards Klingon ships. The Klingon Bird of Prey was always one of my favorites. With the torpedo launcher in the nose I associated it with the A10, my favorite plane. Eventually, the Vor'cha became my favorite overall.

I was never really a fan of the Galaxy Class. The Conny is crap. Maybe it is the roundedness/softness of the Federation ships that make them less appealing to me. Some of the newer ones go away from the smooth round and go a bit more edgy, even though generally round.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:45 am

You shut your mouth. The Constitution refit is incredible.

I think Excelsior class is probably my favorite Federation class, though. Sovereign and Intrepid tied for second.

As for the non-UFOP ships... The TNG era Romulan Bird of Prey is beautiful, and I'm a fan of the Jem'Hadar, too.

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:20 pm

Do you mean the D'Deridex, giant green thing hollow in the middle? If so, I agree.

TOS Romulan BoP was butt!

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:22 pm

Definitely.

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:25 pm

This is the butt one

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:30 pm

Yep. Funnily enough, I have both versions as ornaments for my Christmas tree. The TOS one is newer, though, and runs off of batteries. The D'Deridex is from the 90's and isn't compatible with the new style of bulb sockets.

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:43 pm

I liked the Xindi ships too, but they looked more like they belonged in Babylon 5 than Trek.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:48 pm

I'm partial to the Eagle 5 myself.

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:20 am

Star Fleet always stated that it was not a military fleet. Even after contact with the Borg there was a major push by the anti-military lobby to not build warships. However, at every stage of development, Star Fleet had basically the most powerful ships (offensive firepower and defensive abilities) around.

Is it that the political/social environment was just delusional and lying to themselves about being non-military, or was it that Federation's scientific discoveries were so advanced (maybe even lucky) on the phaser/shield/photon side that even though they really weren't trying to militarize, their general level weapon systems were simply THAT powerful compared to other, straight forward, military based races (Klingon, Romulan, etc)?

Jim

Postby Jim » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:32 am

Was flipping around this weekend looking for something to stop on while I was in DC. TNG was on so I stopped... It was the episode where Dr.Crusher gets freaky with the "ghost" thing that was getting freaky with her grandmother before her death like a week before. Flipped it off rather quickly. I've said before, the more that Dr. Crusher is in an episode, the worse that episode is. ... and that episode was about her so it ssuuuuuuccccckkkksss.

relantel

Postby relantel » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:01 pm

Orville was good. Still have to watch the season finale, but second the comment that it feels more like Trek than the current real Trek.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:32 am

This is cool:

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:36 am

Yes, yes, yes, yes, meh.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:37 am

Star Fleet always stated that it was not a military fleet. Even after contact with the Borg there was a major push by the anti-military lobby to not build warships. However, at every stage of development, Star Fleet had basically the most powerful ships (offensive firepower and defensive abilities) around.

Is it that the political/social environment was just delusional and lying to themselves about being non-military, or was it that Federation's scientific discoveries were so advanced (maybe even lucky) on the phaser/shield/photon side that even though they really weren't trying to militarize, their general level weapon systems were simply THAT powerful compared to other, straight forward, military based races (Klingon, Romulan, etc)?
I think they had to be that powerful, since there is so much ground to cover. Their level of tech also lends to it, because once the UFP actually did set their mind to it, they made the most powerful warship in the quadrant (actual line stated by Gul Dukat) - the Defiant.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:39 am

Yes, yes, yes, yes, meh.
I didn't mind Archer. Enterprise had its problems, but season 4 had some really amazing episodes, and you could tell they were building to something big. I think if the show hadn't been canceled, we'd have seen the Earth-Romulan war and the formation of the Federation.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:57 am

I think I've seen about half an episode of Enterprise. :oops:

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:00 am

I think I've seen about half an episode of Enterprise. :oops:
It has its ups and downs. Seems like every Trek minus TOS took about two seasons to really find its stride. Enterprise is no exception.

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:12 am

Patrick Stewart announced that he will be reprising his role as JLP soon. Admiral? Head of the Academy?

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:15 am

I'm hoping for Ambassador. I don't think he would accept and Admiralty position when he steps down from the Enterprise - he saw too many corrupt admirals in his tenure, and he might have taken Kirk's words in Generations to heart.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:32 pm

I am not a ST person, but I recommend spending some time traversing the Marina Sirtis rabbit hole on YouTube. She's a hoot when she speaks at cons.

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:58 pm

I am not a ST person, but I recommend spending some time traversing the Marina Sirtis rabbit hole on YouTube. She's a hoot when she speaks at cons.

She is not afraid to make people look bad... because they shouldn't have been a-holes to begin with...

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:28 am

So, there is going to be an animated Star Trek on CBS All Access. It's called 'Lower Decks' and will be about low ranking crewman on a ship that is pretty insignificant. Slightly old news, but it makes it more likely that I get CBS All Access. Especially for the Picard show.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:32 am

Sounds like a bad sitcom.