yeah why is knight spelled knight when it's prnounced ke-nig-it

Craig

Who Are You?

Postby Craig » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:36 pm

What?

NAN

Who Are You?

Postby NAN » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:36 pm

I never knew the pronounceation of GIF was that big of a deal.

I say jif.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Who Are You?

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:38 pm

What?
words are not pronounced how they're spelled

willeyeam

Who Are You?

Postby willeyeam » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:38 pm

I spell it out and say g-I-f every time so deal with it

Craig

Who Are You?

Postby Craig » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:40 pm

What?
words are not pronounced how they're spelled
And "knight" was your example?

Pavel Bure

Who Are You?

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:41 pm

Knife
Opossum
Pterodactyl

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Who Are You?

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:42 pm

want another one?

Krzyzewski

Craig

Who Are You?

Postby Craig » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:43 pm

Thats a name. Move along.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Who Are You?

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:43 pm

why does one have to be right and one have to be wrong?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Who Are You?

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:44 pm

Thats a name. Move along.
gnat

PFiDC

Who Are You?

Postby PFiDC » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:44 pm

Phonetically

Craig

Who Are You?

Postby Craig » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:44 pm

Knife
Opossum
Pterodactyl
When does a word start with pt and not make that sound? Likewise with knife and knight. Im not sure what you are even trying to say with the 2nd example.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Who Are You?

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:46 pm

The GIF graphics file format was invented by Steve Wilhite at CompuServe in 1987. In the years since, a debate has been raging as to the correct way to pronounce "GIF": like "jif" as in the peanut butter, or with a hard 'g' as in "gift" as a majority of Mac users seem to prefer. With this page I intend to clear this up once and for all...

It's pronounced like "jif". Period. The end. That's final. End of story.

You disagree? Hey, I'm just quoting the inventors of the format. Here's the evidence:

CompuServe used to distribute a graphics display program called CompuShow. In the documentation for version 8.33 in the FAQ section, it states:
The GIF (Graphics Interchange Format), pronounced "JIF", was designed by CompuServe and the official specification released in June of 1987.

There, straight from the inventors of the format.

Convinced yet?

The image below is an example GIF that came with CompuShow:

It is a picture of CompuShow's author, Bob Berry. He used some of the then-new features of the GIF89 format to display text on top of graphics. One of the lines he entered in the text states:

Oh, incidentally, it's pronounced "JIF"

You can't see this text within a web browser, but if you save this image and load it up in GIF Construction Set or another animated GIF89 editor, you can see the comment for yourself. Drag and View also displays this text, but kind of screwed up. For further proof from Bob Berry, check this out.

Steven O'Neill writes:
Another way to get the JIF line out of Bob Berry using standard Unix tools:

Code: Select all

~>curl http://www.olsenhome.com/gif/BOB_89A.GIF | strings | grep JIF % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time % Time Current Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed 100 37062 100 37062 0 0 69595 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 166k |s,Oh, incidentally, it'spronounced "JIF"
Convinced yet?
The Graphics File Formats FAQ states the following:
Choosy programmers choose "gif" or "jif"?

The pronunciation of "GIF" is specified in the GIF specification to be "jif", as in "jiffy", rather then "gif", which most people seem to prefer. This does seem strange because the "G" is from the word "Graphics" and not "Jraphics".

That last statement doesn't mean anything. It's an acronym. There's no defined way to pronounce acronyms--it's up to the creators.

Convinced yet?

A graphics format known as PNG is being pushed by its creators as the next big thing. Among its list of features is its "unambiguous pronunciation". Here's part of its documentation:
Pronunciation

No detail was too small for consideration in the authors' quest for a near-perfect image format; yea, verily, even the acronym and pronunciation were major topics of discussion. The reason, of course, is the GIF format; some pronounce it with a soft G like giraffe, some with a hard G like gift, and no one really knows what they're talking about. (For the record, the soft G is correct; it is how the author of the format pronounces it.)

"PNG" is always spelled "PNG" (or "Portable Network Graphics") and always pronounced "ping," not "pinj" or "pee en gee" or any other multi-syllabic disaster. See the introduction to the PNG specification for the definitive statement on the matter.

Convinced yet?

NetBITS, a weekly ePublication that provided practical Internet information, asked its readers in Issue 002 to supply information that could solve the GIF pronunciation debate. They followed up in Issue 003 with this:
It's "Jiff" and I Don't Want to Hear Another Word -- Logic may dictate the "g" in GIF (Graphic Interchange Format) is pronounced hard, like gift or gefilte fish, but that didn't stop dozens and dozens of readers from offering opinions, many of them hilarious.

However, several people wrote to say that they either worked with folks at CompuServe or read the original GIF specification, all of which specified a soft "g". None of us at NetBITS understand why we haven't seen the definitive word before, so here it is. Charlie Reading <charlier@kreber.com> writes:

I worked with the creator of GIF (Steve Wilhite) when I was still employed by CompuServe. Steve always pronounced it "jiff" and would correct those who pronounced it with a hard G. "Choosy developers choose GIF" (spinning off of a historically popular peanut butter commercial).

If you want to make a difference in this pronunciation conundrum, print this piece of NetBITS out and send it to the person who writes your local newspaper's technology or Internet column. We now have the specification's authoritative pronunciation. Let's stamp out the hard "g," however logical, once and for all.

Convinced yet?

Craig

Who Are You?

Postby Craig » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:48 pm

The creator made a graphics interchange format. Gif is an acronym. It matters not what he things becUse: english.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Who Are You?

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:50 pm

King Colby

Who Are You?

Postby King Colby » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:56 pm

So can the resolution be to not explicitly invite CG, but if he joins, let him have his fair shake but keep a watchful eye? And then we can have a block pool for how long he lasts?

count2infinity

Who Are You?

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:58 pm

So can the resolution be to not explicitly invite CG, but if he joins, let him have his fair shake but keep a watchful eye? And then we can have a block pool for how long he lasts?
he has already been invited, who knows how he may post here, but if he does come here, we expect people to at least be respectful. I notice many posters have a different style and personality here than they did at the other board.

blackjack68

Who Are You?

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:59 pm

As long as I get in on the block pool.

King Colby

Who Are You?

Postby King Colby » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:00 pm

he has already been invited, who knows how he may post here, but if he does come here, we expect people to at least be respectful. I notice many posters have a different style and personality here than they did at the other board.
Good different or NAN different?

blackjack68

Who Are You?

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:00 pm

I notice many posters have a different style and personality here than they did at the other board.
That's the beauty of being a wiseass. I'm always a wiseass. There and here.

NAN

Who Are You?

Postby NAN » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:02 pm

Good different or NAN different?
:pop:

shafnutz05

Who Are You?

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:03 pm

This is no way to be acting on Maundy Thursday

blackjack68

Who Are You?

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:05 pm

How long have you been waiting to use "Maundy Thursday?"

FreeCandy44

Who Are You?

Postby FreeCandy44 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:12 pm

Im the same ole goofy/slightly geeky and awkward FC. I like me...even if certain posters here dont.