2018 Pittsburgh Pirates In-Season Thread

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:01 am

I would think that to be be a no-no, as far as league policy.
Maybe not.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:04 am

@Dickie Dunn

If you were wondering what would make me finally turn on the Pirates' management. It is Coonelly at a Saccone event where KA Conway is the guest of honor, and him bringing the Pirate Parrot along.

**** this team. Ron Burkle is a big democratic supporter, can you even imagine the Pens using their brand for political purposes?
Rooney and Tomlin headlined DNC fundraisers and brought Steeler stuff with them.

Winning and good PR colors everything.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:08 am

@Dickie Dunn

If you were wondering what would make me finally turn on the Pirates' management. It is Coonelly at a Saccone event where KA Conway is the guest of honor, and him bringing the Pirate Parrot along.

**** this team. Ron Burkle is a big democratic supporter, can you even imagine the Pens using their brand for political purposes?
Rooney and Tomlin headlined DNC fundraisers and brought Steeler stuff with them.

Was about to say, even with Obama Rooney gave up a jersey, etc. That being said - Rooney has always been a Dem and was an ambassador to Ireland, and owned the team. I *think* the stipulation is different here. FC doesn't own the team, and the political messaging given along with the team mascot is very poor form.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:10 am

can anyone confirm or deny that steely mcbeem traveled to Ireland with ambassador rooney

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:10 am

Maybe that's why Steely never came back.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:11 am

And bad for business.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:11 am

@Dickie Dunn

lol. I actually thought of you this morning when I saw that Moustakas re-signed with the Royals for this:
Mike Moustakas' deal has a $5.5M salary in 2018 with $2.2 million in performance bonuses. There is a mutual option for $15 million in 2019 with a $1 million buyout.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:11 am

The mascot was there to...parrot the party line.

@silentom

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:12 am

@Dickie Dunn

I'm seeing that Tomplin was active in the campaign, but I'm only seeing that Rooney endorsed Clinton, but I'm not seeing him being very active in the campaign. And also, I think these dudes getting involved in the presidential election is a slightly different from diving in to a congressional special election. (note, I understand the underlying concept is the same, but life has nuance)

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:13 am

@Dickie Dunn

Was about to say, even with Obama Rooney gave up a jersey, etc. That being said - Rooney has always been a Dem and was an ambassador to Ireland, and owned the team. I *think* the stipulation is different here. FC doesn't own the team, and the political messaging given along with the team mascot is very poor form.
People already disdain Coonelly so this is a softball for them to knock out of the park. Plus the Pirates have godawful communications with the city and region so something like this is just more kindle for the fire.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:13 am

@Dickie Dunn

lol. I actually thought of you this morning when I saw that Moustakas re-signed with the Royals for this:
Mike Moustakas' deal has a $5.5M salary in 2018 with $2.2 million in performance bonuses. There is a mutual option for $15 million in 2019 with a $1 million buyout.
I read that this morning and lol'ed.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:13 am

The mascot was there to...parrot the party line.

@silentom

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:13 am

@Dickie Dunn

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/lifelong- ... 27070.html
How lifelong Republican Dan Rooney became one of Obama's biggest supporters, and his U.S. ambassador to Ireland

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:14 am

@Dickie Dunn

People already disdain Coonelly so this is a softball for them to knock out of the park. Plus the Pirates have godawful communications with the city and region so something like this is just more kindle for the fire.
Absolutely, I think it's incredibly wrong to alienate your fan-base in either direction. Sports shouldn't side with politics, religion, etc. They dun goofed.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:14 am

@Dickie Dunn

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/lifelong- ... 27070.html
How lifelong Republican Dan Rooney became one of Obama's biggest supporters, and his U.S. ambassador to Ireland
I stand corrected, had no idea he was a Republican. He endorsed Obama and Hillary though too.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:16 am

@Dickie Dunn

Yeah, but not like Moustakas is signing that deal with the Pirates. I'm sure his asking price was high at the start, and if were to settle for something like that, it would make sense for it to be his prior team.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:17 am

@Dickie Dunn

Yeah, but not like Moustakas is signing that deal with the Pirates. I'm sure his asking price was high at the start, and if were to settle for something like that, it would make sense for it to be his prior team.
I definitely would expect it to have cost more for the Pirates to sign him. My primary amusement was that he declined his $17.4MM qualifying offer in November.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:18 am

Also interesting that Coonelly would be at an event with alternative facts expert Kelly Ann Conway. Optics and all.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:37 am

Politics is a heckuva drug.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:53 am

Politics is a heckuva drug poop flavored popcicle.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:01 am

Dan Rooney was a lifelong Republican.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/stee ... 1704140100

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:09 pm

Pirates lost 15-1 to the Braves and 13-5 to the Os today. Chad Kuhl got violated, giving up 8 earned, 3 homers, and 3 walks in 2.1 innings of work.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:51 pm

#Pirates Kevin Kramer 2-out RBI triple. Hitting .417 in the spring, all 5 hits for extra-bases.
https://twitter.com/joe_block/status/97 ... twterm%5E3

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:16 pm

#Pirates Joe Musgrove has struck out 5 #Yankees thru 2 innings. Mainly their everyday lineup.
https://twitter.com/joe_block/status/974341321208057857

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:18 pm

#Pirates Joe Musgrove has struck out 5 #Yankees thru 2 innings. Mainly their everyday lineup.
https://twitter.com/joe_block/status/974341321208057857
#Pirates Kevin Kramer 2-out RBI triple. Hitting .417 in the spring, all 5 hits for extra-bases.
https://twitter.com/joe_block/status/97 ... twterm%5E3
Crown their ass.