ITT, name every concert you've ever seen

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:14 pm

We walked in right as Green Day went on. It was July 3rd 2001.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:23 pm

Radiohead
Blur
Sigur Ros
Franz Ferdinand
The Walkmen
Interpol
Clinic
Arcade Fire
Muse
The Shins
The National
Weezer
The Rapture
Travis
Supergrass
Super Furry Animals
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Beastie Boys
Wolf Parade
Frog Eyes
Sunset Rubdown
The Killers

...didn't count festivals or bands I only saw because I went with friends. Most of these are multiples too. Saw Radiohead 4 or 5 times. Same with interpol and franz Ferdinand. Sigur Ros I might be at 6.

I pretty much checked off all the ones I really wanted to see. Sad I was late to the party with Pulp, Suede and the Stone Roses and somehow I never saw the Strokes. But I'm content with my resume.
Nice list. I missed on a chance to see Sigur Ros when they were in Pittsburgh a few years back. My wife ended up going with her friend while I was out of town.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:23 pm

I think the more relevant topic is, "who haven't you seen, that you would like to".
Yep. Tom Waits is the clear #1 for me. Don't know that I'll ever get the opportunity.

Also I'd say:
Grinderman
PJ Harvey
Caravan Palace
Fiery Furnaces
Rancid

And:
The Cramps
Talking Heads
Velvet Underground

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:24 pm

Radiohead
Blur
Sigur Ros
Franz Ferdinand
The Walkmen
Interpol
Clinic
Arcade Fire
Muse
The Shins
The National
Weezer
The Rapture
Travis
Supergrass
Super Furry Animals
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Beastie Boys
Wolf Parade
Frog Eyes
Sunset Rubdown
The Killers

...didn't count festivals or bands I only saw because I went with friends. Most of these are multiples too. Saw Radiohead 4 or 5 times. Same with interpol and franz Ferdinand. Sigur Ros I might be at 6.

I pretty much checked off all the ones I really wanted to see. Sad I was late to the party with Pulp, Suede and the Stone Roses and somehow I never saw the Strokes. But I'm content with my resume.
Nice list. I missed on a chance to see Sigur Ros when they were in Pittsburgh a few years back. My wife ended up going with her friend while I was out of town.
Don't make that mistake again if you can help it!

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:27 pm

We walked in right as Green Day went on. It was July 3rd 2001.
I saw Green Day at X-Fest in 1998 at Starlake, which also happened to be my concert. They set the drum set on fire, which 14 year old me found hilarious. Their performance was fine, but it's the Bosstones that I vividly remember being amazing.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:43 pm

Radiohead
Blur
Sigur Ros
Franz Ferdinand
The Walkmen
Interpol
Clinic
Arcade Fire
Muse
The Shins
The National
Weezer
The Rapture
Travis
Supergrass
Super Furry Animals
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Beastie Boys
Wolf Parade
Frog Eyes
Sunset Rubdown
The Killers

They stopped touring with other supporting musicians. No more strings/horns/etc. just 3 dudes and a little bit of pre-recorded stuff. It's not a great decision. There are some other details about their recent tours that just make it seem like an easy cash grab.

It's too late for mr toupe. The milk has gone sour.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:45 pm

Radiohead
Blur
Sigur Ros
Franz Ferdinand
The Walkmen
Interpol
Clinic
Arcade Fire
Muse
The Shins
The National
Weezer
The Rapture
Travis
Supergrass
Super Furry Animals
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Beastie Boys
Wolf Parade
Frog Eyes
Sunset Rubdown
The Killers

They stopped touring with other supporting musicians. No more strings/horns/etc. just 3 dudes and a little bit of pre-recorded stuff. It's not a great decision. There are some other details about their recent tours that just make it seem like an easy cash grab.

I saw the "new" version of the show in Pittsburgh last year and still loved it. The difference in venue helped make it feel like a bit more of an intimate engagement.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:00 pm

Radiohead
Blur
Sigur Ros
Franz Ferdinand
The Walkmen
Interpol
Clinic
Arcade Fire
Muse
The Shins
The National
Weezer
The Rapture
Travis
Supergrass
Super Furry Animals
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Beastie Boys
Wolf Parade
Frog Eyes
Sunset Rubdown
The Killers

I saw the "new" version of the show in Pittsburgh last year and still loved it. The difference in venue helped make it feel like a bit more of an intimate engagement.
Last summer? I saw that too in philly. I also saw the identical tour the prior fall. They clipped 3 songs off of the set list (which is easily 20 minutes of the show) and seemed very disengaged. I know they're always sort of closed mouthed, but this was just super clinical. Everyone has off nights I suppose, but this had the distinct feel of, "we did it last fall and it was easy and everyone liked it. Let's do it again, but try less hard."

I also saw them in an outdoor venue that I didn't really care for. Maybe this is all about the setlist + venue. But even while I loved the show in the fall,a lot of the big moments fell flat. And some of the songs that should have slayed were super undercooked (Festival and Starlafur come to mind) because of the 3 man format. I'm a pretty big fan boy so my standards are sort of high for them. So take this fwiw.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:02 pm

I'm not really into Sigur Ros, got dragged to that show, was bored out of my mind.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:07 pm

I'm not really into Sigur Ros, got dragged to that show, was bored out of my mind.
This is a little surprising. Especially with THAT show, where they omitted most of the slow burners.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:02 pm

Source of the post but it's the Bosstones that I vividly remember being amazing
:thumb:

MMB and Primus were my favorite concerts.

BigMck

Postby BigMck » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:36 pm

From memory and ticket stubs:

.38 Special
Alabama
AC/DC*
Bryan Adams
Pat Benatar
Big and Rich W/ Cowboy Troy*
Blackfoot
Boston
Larry Charlton
Ray Charles
Motley Crue
Chicken Foot
Steely Dan*
Deep Purple
Def Leppard*
Dio*
Dokken*
Eagles*
Donald Fagen*
Fleetwood Mac
Genesis
Girlschool
Sammy Hagar*
Van Halen*
Chaka Khan
KISS*
Pat Metheney*
Madonna (Wife's surprise Birthday gift)
Eddie Money
Molly Hatchet
Stevie Nicks*
Santana*
Judas Priest*
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Eric Clapton
Tom Petty*
Jimmy Buffett*
Hall and Oats
Huey Lewis*
Iron Maiden*
Tesla
Ozzy*
Scorpions*
Shania Twain
Billy Squire (booed off stage after humping the stage while singing Stroke Me)
Bob Seger*
REO Speedwagon
Riot
Vandenberg
RAIL
Survivor
Journey
Kingdom Come
Lita Ford
Night Ranger
RATT
Pink Floyd
Poison
Queensryche
RUSH*
Simon and Garfunkel
Ted Nuggent*
Skid Row
Larry Gatlin
Brian Wilson
Whitesnake
Great White*
ZZ Top

Of these, I think the most money paid per ticket were for Madonna, Simon & Garfunkel or Ray Charles. Van Halen 1984 tickets were $22.00. Times have changed.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:37 pm

That's a quality list, BM.

Just to check my comprehension: Singing the words "Stroke Me", okay. Acting something similar out, booed off stage.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:43 am

One of my favorites was Stereolab, Dots & Loops era. I had seen them at the same venue the year before and they were not good at all and annoyed with themselves. This time, they were great.

@Blue Canary

I'm still sad about Mary Hansen.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:50 pm

One of my favorites was Stereolab, Dots & Loops era. I had seen them at the same venue the year before and they were not good at all and annoyed with themselves. This time, they were great.

@Blue Canary

I'm still sad about Mary Hansen.
Mary Hansen...I remember a coworker and I talking about her death. I hadn't even heard about it when it happened, and he filled me in a month or so later; hard to believe that it's been 15 years since she was killed. I'm not familiar with all of Stereolab's catalogue, but I can tell you that Dots and Loops has stood the test of time for me as much as their more "accessible" stuff. I would've enjoyed seeing that show, Gaucho.
Last edited by Blue Canary on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:59 pm

The interwebz tells me I saw Stereolab on 5/24/96 in DC.
That was a fun night.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:14 pm

Concerts are quality-of-life issue for me. I'm not as good with crowds as much as I used to be, but I try to hit 3-4 a year in any venue size. I'm apparently not as good with remembering things as much as I used to be, either, because I've failed trying to make a list.

I'm really enjoying reading this thread. :thumb:

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:23 am

I’m still amused that Bill Rieflin (SWANS, Ministry, NIN, etc) is now in King Crimson.
not only do I forget that he was also in REM, but that he was in REM for almost a decade (2003-11)

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:12 pm

Ghost is awesome live. Metz was into them a long time, and I finally went to one of their shows with him a few years ago. Songs are so catchy. Stage presence is cool.

Kind of lost a little bit of luster since they "revealed " Papa and there has been some band turnover - but, still good.
Hope they come to the burgh soon. I'll definitely be there.

Huh, just looked up the turnover thing. I didn't realized all that had happened.
May 18th at the Benedum. https://trustarts.org/production/58839

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:16 pm

Ghost is awesome live. Metz was into them a long time, and I finally went to one of their shows with him a few years ago. Songs are so catchy. Stage presence is cool.

Kind of lost a little bit of luster since they "revealed " Papa and there has been some band turnover - but, still good.

Huh, just looked up the turnover thing. I didn't realized all that had happened.
Got two tickets hanging on the fridge. :thumb: Bought them as soon as I heard about them.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:24 pm

Got two tickets hanging on the fridge. :thumb: Bought them as soon as I heard about them.
I somehow completely missed it. Going to end up with two orchestra seats beneath the balconies. The seat view on the website still looks good though.

Robot B9

Postby Robot B9 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:53 pm

Sideshow Bob (all of the times)
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (umpteen times)
Nuno Bettencourt solo bands (15+x, they played local LA bars/clubs all the time)
Lo Mass Republic (8-10x, Mrs Tif's best friend's hubby was the bass player)
Foo Fighters (4x)
Extreme (4x)
Steve Vai (3x)
Iron Maiden (3x)
Chevy Metal (2x)
Kiss (2x)
Poison (2x)
Lenny Kravitz (2x)
Black Crowes (2x)
The Struts (my favorite new band)
U2
Bon Jovi
Steve Miller
Godsmack
Winger (\m/)
Rufus Wainwright
Spinal Tap
Judas Priest
Anthrax
Smashing Pumpkins
Duran Duran
Gloria Estefan & The Miami Sound Machine
Metallica
No Doubt
Sheryl Crow
Stone Temple Pilots
Beastie Boys
Queensryche
Ratt
Heart (sans the blonde sister, as she was preggers)
King's X
Pearl Jam
Ben Harper
Roy Harper
Ozomatli
Orange Crush
Fleetwood Mac
Tom Petty
Gary Clark Jr
Stabbing Westward
G3
Muse
Weezer
Radiohead

With the exception of The Struts, I'm not including opening acts in the reckoning unless I was a fan and would've gone to see them on their own. Same with bands I saw at festivals.
I worked in the music industry for six years, and nearly all of my friends were in bands. Going to shows 3-4 nights a weeks was pretty normal during that time. There'd usually be around three or four acts on the bill at each place. So I don't know how to even guess what that total would be. A lot.
You'll be elated to know that we share very similar music tastes. Throw in some r and b and intelligent hip hop, and we're an unstoppable duo of outstandingness.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:21 am

Unstoppable duo of outstandingness.

I like it.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri May 18, 2018 7:47 am

Ghost tonight at the Benedum. Anyone going? Metz & I doing meet & greet....get to see the 3 Papas lying in cases plus meet Cardinal Copia. :twisted:

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri May 18, 2018 8:10 am

My wife and I will be there. :D