ITT, name every concert you've ever seen

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:15 pm

Slayer announced their "final, FINAL, no we're definitely done, this is it we promise" tour on Monday. Supporting acts are Phil from Pantera, Ministry... and Primus.

Closest they are getting to Pittsburgh is Columbus (3 hrs) and Louisville/Hershey (both 4 hrs.) I'm going to Florida that week and don't want to burn an additional two days this early in the year for a travel day out and back.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:21 pm

Louisville, KY? That's closer to 7 hours.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:23 pm

I've done Columbus concerts and driven back the same night. Not always fun, but doable.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:45 pm

Slayer came here last summer on their farewell tour right? I feel like this is just another leg and they are hitting places they didn't hit last summer which is why they aren't coming back here.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:49 pm

Any of you see the Peter Frampton Farewell Tour at the Benedum recently?

If you're not in the 'Burgh and can still catch a show at another stop, then I highly recommend it.

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/peter ... tour-2019/

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:16 pm

Louisville, KY? That's closer to 7 hours.
Ah **** I thought it was closer than that. I thought when I went to Cincy last year that there were signs for it across the river. Google maps is saying it's another 99.9 miles past Cincy to get to Louisville.

Looking at the map now, yeah I was off by a little. :face:

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:37 pm

I've done Columbus concerts and driven back the same night. Not always fun, but doable.
I'm still kicking it around but man I'd be worn out the next morning.
Slayer came here last summer on their farewell tour right? I feel like this is just another leg and they are hitting places they didn't hit last summer which is why they aren't coming back here.
I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see them play one last time, but this is also more for seeing Ministry and Primus. Somewhat.

I was a longtime Ministry fan and kinda got away from them once Paul Barker left the band. That said, I still want to catch them one last time before Al hangs it up since he's not exactly getting any younger. I've jokingly told a few people that I'm holding out for him to play With Sympathy live from front to back, but he has indirectly called my bluff by doing a few pre-industrial Ministry songs live over the last few years.

Primus has been on my list for years, but the last few times they've come around I've already had things scheduled. TopGolf at Heinz Field the last time (although I got to hear the encore as I was leaving), vacation the time before, out of town because of work the time before that.

So it's kinda like catching Slayer and also wanting to scratch off two other bands off my list at one location.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:51 pm

Primus was one of my favorite all time concerts. Granted it was back in 1996 and I was only 19.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:29 am

Stones were absolutely fantastic last night. It amazes me that they can all still tour so well at that age but that was great.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:56 am

Here is the view from our seat. We had a great sight line to the stage.

The contrast between Charlie Watts and the rest of the Stones is great. He sits back there just steadily drumming with a bemused look on his face as Richards and Jagger prance around.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:24 pm

Charlie Watts is one of my most favorite people in rock history. His vibe is like, "Meh, the pay's good."

"You're my **** singer!"

:thumb:

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:22 pm

Stones were absolutely fantastic last night. It amazes me that they can all still tour so well at that age but that was great.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:12 am

Was at Queen + Adam Lambert 2 nights ago, and Jeff Lynne's ELO last night. Queen always puts on a good show, and the other night was no different.

Main reason I wanted to go to ELO was that Dhani Harrison was opening. That's George Harrison's son - who, by the way, sounds frighteningly like George. I mean - tone, pitch, the way he sings certain words/syllables if that makes sense. Gives you chills. He came out to do "Handle With Care" with Jeff & ELO - talk about magic. It was like for a split second, George was still here.

I'm not the world's biggest ELO fan, but I have to say they sounded great. And their stage setup/lighting etc. were really top notch.

On to Ace Frehley (with meet & greet!) on Saturday.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:17 am

went to lake street dive on free tickets tuesday night at stage AE. had no knowledge of them prior. interesting act. the opener was pretty remarkable - YOLA. she was very good.

they were giving out free tickets to killswitch engaged tonight which seemed like you are targeting the exact opposite demographics

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:12 am

Yeah, I'm a big Dhani Harrison fan. His music isn't something I listen to all of the time, but he does have his Dad's vibe. You should check out the Concert for George - he plays throughout the show with some George's friends.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:04 am

Yeah, I'm a big Dhani Harrison fan. His music isn't something I listen to all of the time, but he does have his Dad's vibe. You should check out the Concert for George - he plays throughout the show with some George's friends.
I have seen it many times - it's so damn awesome. But you bringing it up makes me think I need to watch it again soon.

This is also making me think of "My Back Pages" from the Dylan 30th anniversary. How awesome was that?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:19 pm

My first guitar hero! :fist:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:22 pm

The best moment from that is when they bring out all the stops for While My Guitar Gently Weeps. There's a moment where he looks over at Prince - who is absolutely shredding a solo - and in the moment you can see Dhani just lose his mind and he breaks out into an enormous sht-eating grin. It's great.

And then Prince throws his guitar up into the air and it just....... never comes down. It's like he tossed it up to George.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:23 pm

That was the Hall of Fame ceremony, iirc. But a cool moment to be sure.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:24 pm

Oh my mistake, I remembered it as the Albert Hall gig.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:35 pm

My first guitar hero! :fist:
Dude, I'm SO excited. Have been a KISS fan for like 25 years - I had Ace posters on my walls in college when everyone had Pearl Jam. I still have the one poster - that's going to be one of the items I get signed. :D

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:29 pm

I was also at Queen on Wednesday. Friend of mine had an extra and it was free, so I figured why not. I checked the setlist beforehand to make sure I knew at least a few songs. Sure enough, I probably knew about 8-9 songs so I knew I wouldn't be going in questioning most of their set. By the time the show wrapped up, I think there were maybe less than a handful of songs that I didn't know and that it ended up being a case of just not knowing the song titles or that it was Queen that sang the song.

I was kinda surprised that there was no opener and that they were "only" two hours long. Not that either is bad, but with a 30+ song setlist I figured that it would have been pushing 3 hours easily.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:06 pm

Heart and Joan Jett tonight. Missing Elle King opening now.

tjand72

Postby tjand72 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:21 pm

went to lake street dive on free tickets tuesday night at stage AE. had no knowledge of them prior. interesting act. the opener was pretty remarkable - YOLA. she was very good.

they were giving out free tickets to killswitch engaged tonight which seemed like you are targeting the exact opposite demographics
Killswitch Engage / Clutch were moved inside because there weren't a ton of tickets sold. I'm not complaining, though.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:18 pm

So meeting Ace was cool. I got him to sign my '77 Destroyer smoking guitar poster, which was freaking awesome. He was all jazzed to see it too - kept telling his guys "We need to print this again!" I also got him to sign my Dynasty poster ("that's going back, isn't it?" he said) - got a few pics too which was cool. Cool experience. Glad I got to do it.