eddysnake's Thread of Stephen King

AuthorTony

The Dark Tower

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:30 pm

I think he'll hate it, especially when it gets further along. Could be wrong.

PFiDC

The Dark Tower

Postby PFiDC » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:33 pm

If I was a betting man I would put money on that as well. It's that moment (or maybe even the deeper connections in WotC) that can really turn people off.

AuthorTony

The Dark Tower

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:54 pm

If I was a betting man I would put money on that as well. It's that moment (or maybe even the deeper connections in WotC) that can really turn people off.
I personally loved that moment, but I'm a dork like that.

dodint

The Dark Tower

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:19 pm

Source of the post The revised version or the original release?
The revised version. It had two forwards by King.

I don't mind that you guys think I won't like it. I probably won't. Like he said in his forward, everyone has read The Stand, but it's a surprisingly small sect that have read and enjoyed the entire Dark Tower series. I feel like I've read nearly everything else of his. So if I keep reading around this series without trying it I'll mentally block myself from ever reading it (like Star Wars movies) so I might as well give it a shot. It seems odd to not even take a crack at his opus, so I will. I plan to read the first two books before making my determination as to whether I'll follow through. I think what tipped the scale for me is that I mentioned the poor casting of the movie to a friend from work and it turns out he is a huge, huge Dark Tower fan. He wouldn't shut up about it yesterday, so I figure at the very least I can talk to him about it if I like it.

This is what will make the difference for me, and take it for what you will: I don't like fantasy but can hack supernatural. If I get the feeling that Roland is not bound by his world and can get out of any difficulty by waving some pixie dust whenever he wants then I'll jump ship. A character without limitations and never in any real conflict isn't worth reading and it's why I find most fantasy to be insufferable. He says it's his LoTR but he didn't want to do it in that style, and that's what I need. I'll take the desert over Middle Earth any day, because it's relateable. If he starts talking in a made up nonsense language to trolls and goblins I'm out.

AuthorTony

The Dark Tower

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:52 pm

I'd give it 3 books. They're not crazy long. I honestly think you'll like most of it. Until a point... ;)

PFiDC

The Dark Tower

Postby PFiDC » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:57 pm

Source of the post If I get the feeling that Roland is not bound by his world and can get out of any difficulty by waving some pixie dust whenever he wants then I'll jump ship. A character without limitations and never in any real conflict isn't worth reading and it's why I find most fantasy to be insufferable
You're in luck..

Roland is the most tragic character I have ever read. Dude has no magic pixie dust. His life sucks.

PFiDC

The Dark Tower

Postby PFiDC » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:58 pm

Also, you have the right attitude. There is a lot of potential for you to really enjoy it.

dodint

The Dark Tower

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:35 pm

I'm not very far into it (they just got to that Oracle after passing through the desert) and I don't know what to say. It holds my attention just fine but puts me to sleep without fail every night. I've been reading it in like 25 minute bursts which is highly unusual for me. I tend to get sucked into books for hours.

I did go back and reread a synopsis of Insomnia since I haven't read that since 2009 and never will again.

I have no idea how they can put this on film given the scope.

Willie Kool

The Dark Tower

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:40 pm

I'm not very far into it (they just got to that Oracle after passing through the desert) and I don't know what to say. It holds my attention just fine but puts me to sleep without fail every night. I've been reading it in like 25 minute bursts which is highly unusual for me. I tend to get sucked into books for hours.
The Gunslinger is a bit of a tedious read, it gets much better after the first book.

dodint

The Dark Tower

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:42 pm

I enjoy it, don't get me wrong. I don't feel like I'm slogging through it or anything. It just knocks me out every time I read it. :lol:

I'll chime in when I get farther down the road. Just wanted to let it be known that I haven't thrown it into the fireplace or anything.

PFiDC

The Dark Tower

Postby PFiDC » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:49 pm

That GD oracle...

eddy

The Dark Tower

Postby eddy » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:05 pm

well this is interesting and maybe not so great....
It’s easy to imagine that phrase being The Dark Tower’s version of “A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away …,” serving to introduce almost any part of the saga. But this first film will not adapt the plot of the first book, The Gunslinger, published in 1982.

“[The movie] starts in media res, in the middle of the story instead of at the beginning, which may upset some of the fans a little bit, but they’ll get behind it, because it is the story,” King says.

Arcel declined to specify which books his movie focus on, but he did offer this clue: “A lot of it takes place in our day, in the modern world.”
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/29/da ... cconaughey

so it appears they are starting somewhere in the middle and nothing else but some ideas are even done for the future books/movies/tv shows. Akiva Goldsman script being the foundation is also a little frightening. Where would they be starting? Is this a smart move?

dodint

The Dark Tower

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:07 pm

If it makes money they'll go back and do it as a prequel and claim they were going to do that all along. ;)

PFiDC

The Dark Tower

Postby PFiDC » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:18 pm

well this is interesting and maybe not so great....
It’s easy to imagine that phrase being The Dark Tower’s version of “A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away …,” serving to introduce almost any part of the saga. But this first film will not adapt the plot of the first book, The Gunslinger, published in 1982.

“[The movie] starts in media res, in the middle of the story instead of at the beginning, which may upset some of the fans a little bit, but they’ll get behind it, because it is the story,” King says.

Arcel declined to specify which books his movie focus on, but he did offer this clue: “A lot of it takes place in our day, in the modern world.”
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/29/da ... cconaughey

so it appears they are starting somewhere in the middle and nothing else but some ideas are even done for the future books/movies/tv shows. Akiva Goldsman script being the foundation is also a little frightening. Where would they be starting? Is this a smart move?

This is going to suck so much

dodint

The Dark Tower

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:57 pm

I'm okay with retroactively blaming King for these terrible adaptations. The one he hates is The Shining, which is brilliant. He is the common thread.

PFiDC

The Dark Tower

Postby PFiDC » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:09 pm

I'm okay with retroactively blaming King for these terrible adaptations. The one he hates is The Shining, which is brilliant. He is the common thread.
Considering the movie The Shining totally ignores the book it was based on I can see why he hates it. I have trouble liking it myself but I can separate the film and the novel. I understand that King can't.

AuthorTony

The Dark Tower

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:45 pm

Pretty much my thoughts too.

I love The Shining movie, but I can see why King hated it. Nicholson was completely unsympathetic and Shelly Duvall was awful. The best King adaptations are the ones that aren't as "out there". Shawshank, Green Mile, Stand By Me/The Body. His more horror-themed stories usually fail as adaptations because what the filmmakers come up with is never as scary as what we can create in our minds as readers.

dodint

The Dark Tower

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:49 pm

Orrrrrrrrrr, they just discard the premise and create drivel like Under The Dome and then he writes a letter to his fans telling them if they like the book so much it's still on the shelf for them to read.

I'm not *trying* to tear down whatever they're making for TDT, I am saying that it already sounds like it's going tits up like UTD, down to the "King approval" quote.

AuthorTony

The Dark Tower

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:57 pm

Orrrrrrrrrr, they just discard the premise and create drivel like Under The Dome and then he writes a letter to his fans telling them if they like the book so much it's still on the shelf for them to read.

I'm not *trying* to tear down whatever they're making for TDT, I am saying that it already sounds like it's going tits up like UTD, down to the "King approval" quote.
Yeah, I don't understand adapting a great novel and changing almost all of it. The things I'm reading about the IT movie are equally scary. Heck, even when Fukinaga was attached, he wanted to cast a teenager to play Pennywise and set it in NYC. I mean, what the fudge, man? IT is as much about the evil in small town Derry as it is the alien clown. But filmmakers just don't seem to get it. Hollywood in general sucks because you have 20+ people trying to put their own spin on the movie. Too many cooks in the kitchen, as they say.

dodint

The Dark Tower

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:01 pm

Source of the post he wanted to cast a teenager to play Pennywise and set it in NYC.
Ouch. :lol:

PFiDC

The Dark Tower

Postby PFiDC » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:43 pm

Source of the post IT is as much about the evil in small town Derry as it is the alien clown
Derry is definitely a character in that book.

I also move to change this thread to Stephen King instead of just Dark Tower

AuthorTony

The Dark Tower

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:52 pm

Source of the post IT is as much about the evil in small town Derry as it is the alien clown
Derry is definitely a character in that book.

I also move to change this thread to Stephen King instead of just Dark Tower
Seconded.

shafnutz05

The Dark Tower

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:40 pm

Much like GRRM's next book, I've pretty much written this off. And like the book, if this does eventually happen, I am prepared for it to be a major disappointment.

shmenguin

The Stephen King Thread

Postby shmenguin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:11 pm

Pretty much my thoughts too.

I love The Shining movie, but I can see why King hated it. Nicholson was completely unsympathetic and Shelly Duvall was awful. The best King adaptations are the ones that aren't as "out there". Shawshank, Green Mile, Stand By Me/The Body. His more horror-themed stories usually fail as adaptations because what the filmmakers come up with is never as scary as what we can create in our minds as readers.
Except for The Mist. That's an awesome movie right there.

dodint

The Stephen King Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:13 pm

The Mist worked, actually. Darabont is good people. Wonder where The Walking Dead would be if they hadn't parted ways.