eddysnake's Thread of Stephen King

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:23 am

So, I read a little about this series and it sounds really good. Should I just buy one, or make the jump and buy them all?

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:25 am

heh

Not trying to be snarky, honestly. You found the thread, but did you read it?

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:27 am

Nope.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:27 am

:lol:

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:27 am

wat

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:30 am

So, I read a little about this series and it sounds really good. Should I just buy one, or make the jump and buy them all?
I haven't read them yet, either, but this appears to be the consensus order in which to read them in:

The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
The Dark Tower 2 - The Drawing of the Three
The Dark Tower 3 - The Waste Lands
The Dark Tower 4 - Wizard and Glass
The Dark Tower 4.5 - The Wind Through the Keyhole
The Dark Tower 5 - The Wolves of the Calla
The Dark Tower 6 - Song of Susannah
The Dark Tower 7 - The Dark Tower

I've had the ePubs sitting on my computer for a while now, and will likely start once I'm finished with my current series.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:31 am

Ok, smart-ass. ;)

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:31 am

I appreciate your honesty, that's all.

A good portion of the middle of this thread is me hemming and hawing about whether to read the Dark Tower series, and a bunch of kind souls imploring me not to do so because they know I don't like fantasy. I read it anyway and, despite finishing the first book, have had no inkling whatsoever to read more of it.

If you enjoy fantasy stuff you'll probably like it. The first book is pretty short, you can't really go wrong with it. I'm told to read, what, the first three before making a real judgement but it couldn't hold my interest.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:34 am

I love fantasy. This is my favorite book. I think I'm sold.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:35 am

Enjoy!

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:27 am

I've found that honesty can go a long way.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:37 pm

I started the audiobook version of The Gunslinger the other day. Very interesting so far.

Reveutopique

Postby Reveutopique » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:57 am

I've been reading The Shining on and off.. oh boy it really chills me to the bone. I was reading it and thinking ugh, he's such an overrated writer and pretty soon I didn't want to pull the covers off over my head. Totally made me eat my words. I'm glad he exists. I can't believe this is what comes out of his head in quaint little beautiful (I assume from longing google picture searches) Maine.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:21 am

If you enjoy The Shining and you want to continue the story, Doctor Sleep is worth a read. It's about 7/10 as good as The Shining but if you have nothing else to do it's worth it.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:09 pm

I've been reading The Shining on and off.. oh boy it really chills me to the bone. I was reading it and thinking ugh, he's such an overrated writer and pretty soon I didn't want to pull the covers off over my head. Totally made me eat my words. I'm glad he exists. I can't believe this is what comes out of his head in quaint little beautiful (I assume from longing google picture searches) Maine.
Is this your first SK book? His writings are pretty much the reason I will never go to Maine. That place scares the **** out of me now.

The Shining is a fantastic book IMO. King wrote a strong female protagonist when it was not very common to do so and he did a phenomenal job with it. The movie version makes Wendy out to be a frail, scared, wimpy, little woman. Not the case in the novel.

I echo dodint's words on Doctor Sleep. If you want to know more about Danny then please read it.

If you like the Shining and want more SK I may suggest going on to something like Pet Semetary (if you have kids this one will be a terrifying read) or Salem's Lot (if you like vampires). If you want to continue with a more female-esque role I would go with Firestarter or Carrie.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:11 pm

Lisey's Story is probably the top of his strong female character books, I'd reckon.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:19 pm

Still haven't read that. I will also add Gingerbread Girl to the list.

Stay away from Gereald's Game. 400 pages of a chick tied to a bed isn't worth it IMO.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:48 pm

Oh, wow. Gingerbread Girl is great. I told this before, but I played it as an audiobook for my wife on the way to an Outer Banks trip. :lol:

Have you read Duma Key? It's basically the obverse of Lisey's Story.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:33 pm

Duma Key may be my favorite King novel.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:09 pm

I bet it we looked, we've had this conversation once or twice.

Reveutopique

Postby Reveutopique » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:18 am

Is this your first SK book? His writings are pretty much the reason I will never go to Maine. That place scares the **** out of me now.

The Shining is a fantastic book IMO. King wrote a strong female protagonist when it was not very common to do so and he did a phenomenal job with it. The movie version makes Wendy out to be a frail, scared, wimpy, little woman. Not the case in the novel.

I echo dodint's words on Doctor Sleep. If you want to know more about Danny then please read it.

If you like the Shining and want more SK I may suggest going on to something like Pet Semetary (if you have kids this one will be a terrifying read) or Salem's Lot (if you like vampires). If you want to continue with a more female-esque role I would go with Firestarter or Carrie.

I am interested in all those things, especially a Danny centric book.

I didn't find the movie version of Carrie scary but did find it so heart breaking. I just wanted to be friends with Carrie and tell her she was beautiful and loved.

I think the only movies that really creeped me out were the Shining (my college looks faintly similar to that place and boasts seclusion and quiet and beauty and it totally screwed with me, like what if some weirdo went around recreating this movie? ) and oddly enough, the made for t.v. movie the Langoliers.

And that actually scared me more than the Shining.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:21 am

Langoliers is awesome. One of the few adaptations that held up.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:57 pm

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:21 am

1. The thirteen colors used reference the "Bends of the Rainbow," a set of thirteen crystal balls important to the Dark Tower universe. The "wheel" chart style and the numbers should also have significance to Tower fans.
2. The locations (Derry, Castle Rock, 'salem's Lot, and Mid-World) are included only if they're present in a story; being mentioned is not enough.
3. Being mentioned is sufficient in the case of characters, as with Flagg in Hearts in Atlantis and the Crimson King in Black House and Hearts in Atlantis.
4. There's some speculation that Tak from Desperation and The Regulators is the Crimson King, but it's more likely that he's simply a todash monster, similar to It/Pennywise.
5. "The Man in the Black Suit" and "Uncle Otto's Truck" are mentioned because they take place within Castle Rock city limits (or where Castle Rock city limits will eventually be).
6. Also, thanks to Stephen King, who managed to create exciting short stories and novels, and then a book series, and then an entire universe, and then a friggin' multiverse.

https://horrorfilms101.blogspot.com/201 ... verse.html

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:35 am

That goes a long way to explaining why I hated Insomnia.