eddysnake's Thread of Stephen King

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:36 am

Wizard and Glass. I can't ever remember being so conflicted about a story so beautifully written.

Not sure if spoilers are a thing with something written like 25 years ago, but:
500 pages of Roland just raw dogging this girl over and over again, with long sonnets about how their love is power and eternal.

One paragraph of Roland looking in a glass ball and saying "Nevermind, she can die, I need to go to this Tower."

100 pages of Roland feeling bad she's dead.

There was a very specific line where he gives up on her. I remember it because I stopped and thought "oh, this was all for nothing."
Romeo and Juliet but Romeo didn't have the stones to hold up his end.
That's a bit flippant, and I did enjoy the ride, but like with a lot of Kings work it gets undone by something that just doesn't fit.

That said, the Reaping setting was great atmosphere, Rhea is now one of my favorite characters of his.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:54 am

I was so annoyed after the long wait after Book 3 that Book 4 was so much prequel stuff.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:50 am

150 pages into King's new book Fairy Tale and so far it's terrific!

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:09 pm

That tracks.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:03 am

I'm about 80% of the way through Wolves of the Calla. I'm starting to get that itch in the back of my brain that King doesn't have an actual ending for this series. This is the fifth book in this series and it's entirely a side quest with seemingly no main storyline progression. With the last book being almost entirely a flashback we haven't really moved along at all in a really long time. Hmph.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:08 am

The Dark Tower is definitely a "the journey is the reward" type of story. But the final 2 books are (from what I remember) pretty much completely about the main story.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:10 am

That's encouraging. I love reading King, I bet I've read at least 75% of what he has published. It's fairly often you get endings that are not endings, like Under The Dome and 11/22/63. I might just be gunshy from that.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:14 am

Personally, I think the ending of TDT is perfect, but a lot of people hated it. If I have to guess, I suspect you'll fall into that later group (sorry) but getting there is still 100% worth it. The final book is also one of maybe 2 or 3 books I've ever read that make me cry. It wrecked me. I do think you'll enjoy them, even if the ending disappoints you.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:17 am

I appreciate the journey. There are points during all of these books where I've stepped back and marveled at how good of a story it is. I'm not like my wife, she gets really pissed when she gets to the end of a book or movie and the ending doesn't suit her, she feels like her time was wasted. With me, I just ponder about whether it is laziness or ineptitude that painted the writer into that corner. With King it's a tough pill to swallow because he appears to be neither, and yet it seems to happen so often.

Except for Insomnia. **** that whole book from start to finish.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:11 pm

King's pretty notorious for not plotting out his books. He gets and idea and runs with it. I think that's why so many of his books just sort of fizzle out. He never plans out how it's going to end and waits to see what develops.

I read Insomnia when I was in junior high and remember nothing about it aside from Gage Creed's shoe in a tree or something. I should give it another a go sometime.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:18 pm

I read it in Afghanistan.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:22 pm

Obligatory: Thank you for your service.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:26 pm

Insomnia was worse than the war.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:30 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:52 pm

I'm with Tony and think the ending for dark tower is terrific

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:34 pm

Gonna get another go on Amazon. If anyone can do it, this is the guy, right? Right?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:58 pm

I'm with Tony and think the ending for dark tower is terrific
I've come around on it for sure.

@dodint, I bought Wizard and Glass right before a three month Pacific/Bering Sea patrol. I vividly remember it, it was 2004 and I was reading it in my bunk, getting more and more pissed off every time the story went backwards to Roland's childhood. Then I was thrown from my bunk when we hit a 30 footer in the Gulf of Alaska :lol:

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:11 pm

:lol:

I wasn't going to mention this, but Susannah is my least favorite character. Split personality stuff just kind of bores me in a very off-putting way, always has. So, as you can imagine Song of Susannah has been a real **** treat. :lol:

King's self-referential masturbation isn't doing much for me either, it's coming off as heavy handed cringey fan service.

I swear I am enjoying this series, just some really silly stuff from time to time.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:39 pm

Apologies if already posted, but... This sounds promising. Seems like Flanagan truly respects and is a lifelong fan of the source material. He did well with Doctor Sleep and really well with Geralds Game, which I did not envision in film format.

https://deadline.com/2022/12/mike-flana ... 235191018/
I wrote a pilot, we view it as a as a series that’s going at least five seasons.
I’ll tell you, more than half of my life, I’ve closed my eyes and been able to watch a lot of this play out, I’ve dreamed about this. That first shot which comes right off at the first incredible sentence of the first book, The Gunslinger, I’ve had that image just rattling around in my head since I was an undergrad. It’s going to have to get out of there eventually, I really need to get it out of my head.
Absolutely. This happened because I sent him a very, very detailed outline of what I wanted to do with it. And it was in response to that, that he gave us the rights. A project like this, I wouldn’t want to be involved in it at all If we were taking it in a direction that was going to be blasphemous to the Stephen King material, but he’s been very, very supportive and very excited about what we’d like to do with it.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:14 pm

Nice.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:34 pm

King's self-referential masturbation isn't doing much for me either, it's coming off as heavy handed cringey fan service.
I just wanted to circle back to this and say that the epilogue being 40 minutes of reading his 'diary' where he just makes in-jokes about his other books, as a character in this series, is really cringy. I hate this device he's using.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:51 pm

I'm 60% done with the final Dark Tower book. Man, it's pretty gut-wrenching, really has me hooked. Very glad you guys talked me into reading the series.

That said, along these lines...
It's unreal that a character in the book gives Roland a copy of Insomnia and he's like "yuck, no" and passes it along to another character that he plans to never talk to again. :lol:

I hope with all my heart that is a self-deprecating inside joke review by King. :mrgreen:

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:58 pm

I'm 60% done with the final Dark Tower book. Man, it's pretty gut-wrenching, really has me hooked. Very glad you guys talked me into reading the series.

That said, along these lines...
It's unreal that a character in the book gives Roland a copy of Insomnia and he's like "yuck, no" and passes it along to another character that he plans to never talk to again. :lol:

I hope with all my heart that is a self-deprecating inside joke review by King. :mrgreen:
You'll get your answer soon enough

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:27 pm

Really glad you're enjoying it!

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:44 pm

I've started pushing my sister into it. She loves fantasy but isn't big on King. Hoping she starts it soon.