2018 Steelers Thread

Viva la Ben

2018 Steelers Offseason Thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:40 pm

I don't think there's any doubt that this is solely Roethlisberger's team and the organization is just trying to do everything they can to squeeze out one more SB appearance.
Just let Ben run the no huddle all the time.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:43 pm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... o-qb-sneak
"It's been a while since we've run the quarterback sneak," Roethlisberger said in the postgame news conference. "I'm for it, but it's kinda over my head why we don't do it. I'm not going to second guess why we don't run the quarterback sneak. I don't know."
thsi is a horsesht copout. he can change any play he wants to whatever he wants whenever he wants, as we saw when he changed the whatever the second 4th and 1 call they failed on to a 20 yard in route that fell incomplete.
I think its BS as well, was posting in response to "its Ben's team". Even if Tomlin didn't let him call the sneak what is Tomlin going to do as punishment if Ben did?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:46 pm

Get rid of the rest of the ping pong tables?

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Brutal if true.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:48 pm

I’m is true: there’s no mistaking that quote.
That’s a really shitty cop out.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:49 pm

I don't think there's any doubt that this is solely Roethlisberger's team and the organization is just trying to do everything they can to squeeze out one more SB appearance.
Yup. Coordinators come and go. Franchise quarterbacks aren't that easy to come by.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:55 pm

Looking back at the loss to Jacksonville specifically, Ben was asked about one of the biggest issues we’ve heard about on the station, the teams failure to convert on 4th and 1 and why they don’t ever just have him run a quarterback sneak.

“I’d love to” Ben said about running it. “I actually literally tuned in to you guys for two minutes and heard you guys and the fans bashing us for not quarterback sneaking and not believing me when I say that we don’t run it and I want to do it. Since it’s my show now, I can speak freely and tell you guys, my co-hosts, that I truly have never said ‘I don’t want to run it’ and I don’t have the freedom to check to a quarterback sneak because we don’t have that call if we’re not in the huddle.”

“If you’re at the line of scrimmage, we don’t have a call to get to a quarterback sneak…am I supposed to whisper to everyone ‘quarterback sneak’?”

Ben even went as far as to tell us that he has petitioned Mike Tomlin to add a quarterback draw to their two-point conversion playbook.

“When we get to like the two-yard line, two point play, to spread the defense out and go empty and run quarterback draw. I’ve asked for that. He laughs at me and says ‘Ben, maybe in your younger days, not now.’ I still ask for those things. I would love the quarterback sneak. Hopefully we’ll get into more of it.”
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/01/ ... -one-year/

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:03 pm

I hadn't realized that on the opening drive when the Steelers inexplicably went empty set they also had Hubbard checked into the game as an extra tackle. They started the damn game with no running back and an offensive lineman as a wide receiver. That just amazes me. I also find it amazing that Rosie Nix was somehow limited to five offensive snaps the entire game.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:04 pm

I guess they need to hire someone, who is better at handling the king diva.
Not kidding when I say just promote Randy Fichtner and then get a proper OC when Ben moves on. Ben likes him and the offense will be turnkey for the next two years with the talent they have.
This would be my move as well.
Munchak?
I don't like non-skill position guys as offensive coordinators.
Mike Mularkey is looking for work...

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:13 pm

Jim Wexell suggesting bump Fichtner and steal Leftwich from Cardinals as QB coach.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:13 pm

Looking back at the loss to Jacksonville specifically, Ben was asked about one of the biggest issues we’ve heard about on the station, the teams failure to convert on 4th and 1 and why they don’t ever just have him run a quarterback sneak.

“I’d love to” Ben said about running it. “I actually literally tuned in to you guys for two minutes and heard you guys and the fans bashing us for not quarterback sneaking and not believing me when I say that we don’t run it and I want to do it. Since it’s my show now, I can speak freely and tell you guys, my co-hosts, that I truly have never said ‘I don’t want to run it’ and I don’t have the freedom to check to a quarterback sneak because we don’t have that call if we’re not in the huddle.”

“If you’re at the line of scrimmage, we don’t have a call to get to a quarterback sneak…am I supposed to whisper to everyone ‘quarterback sneak’?”

Ben even went as far as to tell us that he has petitioned Mike Tomlin to add a quarterback draw to their two-point conversion playbook.

“When we get to like the two-yard line, two point play, to spread the defense out and go empty and run quarterback draw. I’ve asked for that. He laughs at me and says ‘Ben, maybe in your younger days, not now.’ I still ask for those things. I would love the quarterback sneak. Hopefully we’ll get into more of it.”
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/01/ ... -one-year/

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:15 pm

Jim Wexell suggesting bump Fichtner and steal Leftwich from Cardinals as QB coach.
I'd rather bring Heftwich back as backup QB.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:18 pm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... o-qb-sneak
"It's been a while since we've run the quarterback sneak," Roethlisberger said in the postgame news conference. "I'm for it, but it's kinda over my head why we don't do it. I'm not going to second guess why we don't run the quarterback sneak. I don't know."
thsi is a horsesht copout. he can change any play he wants to whatever he wants whenever he wants, as we saw when he changed the whatever the second 4th and 1 call they failed on to a 20 yard in route that fell incomplete.
I think its BS as well, was posting in response to "its Ben's team". Even if Tomlin didn't let him call the sneak what is Tomlin going to do as punishment if Ben did?
I think he went further explaining this that there's no "audible" for a QB sneak, and otherwise he'd just be telling the defence what they're doing. It's still BS because Ben could just say hey Pouncey, "I'm running" - while in the huddle.

It's a solid example of Ben not owning something he doesn't want to when he wants a coach out.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:19 pm

I guess I don't see what Leftwhich like Porter would bring as a coach. Seemed one-dimensional, not to mention Leftwhich is the last guy you want to learn from QB mechanic wise I'd imagine.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:38 pm

The Steelers have definitely entered "Friends of Mario" status with their coaching hires. Talk of Hines replacing the retiring Richard Mann. Carnell Lake. Joey Porter. Jerry Olsavsky (who at least seems to have earned his spot). LeBeau kept around too long. Butler promoted to DC primarily because he had been here for 12 years. Haley hired because of his dad. It's become a very incestuous coaching staff and I would prefer to see some outsiders brought on.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:45 pm

If Jesee James had 1/10th of the manliness of Jerry O, we wouldn't be having these conversations.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:53 pm

The Steelers have definitely entered "Friends of Mario" status with their coaching hires. Talk of Hines replacing the retiring Richard Mann. Carnell Lake. Joey Porter. Jerry Olsavsky (who at least seems to have earned his spot). LeBeau kept around too long. Butler promoted to DC primarily because he had been here for 12 years. Haley hired because of his dad. It's become a very incestuous coaching staff and I would prefer to see some outsiders brought on.

Yup.

Regarding Butler... I don't get it either. His defense has absolutely ZERO identity. Regarding Haley leaving, I'm pretty convinced that Ben would be having similar success without Haley. I don't think Haley is predominantly responsible for his (and the offense's success), I think AB, Bell, Ben are.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:54 pm

I know Cowherd isn't super popular in this group, but he was going full bore on this today. According to him, this is now the seventh time Ben has thrown coaches under the bus in the media. The rumor is that it is not just Haley that Ben is kind of over. Tomlin is the most vulnerable he's ever been after that JAX game, and Ben is standing on his neck.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:58 pm

Regarding Haley leaving, I'm pretty convinced that Ben would be having similar success without Haley. I don't think Haley is predominantly responsible for his (and the offense's success), I think AB, Bell, Ben are.
I give Haley all the credit in the world for installing a system that has prevented Ben from being murdered multiple times a game for the last four or five years. But at this stage, it's kind of fire-and-forget. All the key pieces (save JJSS) have been around a while, they know what's what.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:02 pm

I know Cowherd isn't super popular in this group, but he was going full bore on this today. According to him, this is now the seventh time Ben has thrown coaches under the bus in the media. The rumor is that it is not just Haley that Ben is kind of over. Tomlin is the most vulnerable he's ever been after that JAX game, and Ben is standing on his neck.
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Ben's personal sentiment echoed what DeCastro publically said after the game. Tomlin does absolutely nothing to control his players (or in Porter's case his assistant coaches) and this team has had many lost seasons because of nonsense.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:07 pm

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Ben's personal sentiment echoed what DeCastro publically said after the game. Tomlin does absolutely nothing to control his players (or in Porter's case his assistant coaches) and this team has had many lost seasons because of nonsense.
I actually think this is more plausible than I thought before. I think Ben's one of the last few that has seen how a team operates under Cowher vs. Tomlin - and there's no denying that Tomlin's group has become incredibly lax when it comes to the media hype and stuff. I think there's a contingent that wants to feel less like a buddy and more like an employer. In that regard, all teams should be aiming for the Patriots and now Jaguar led front office with Coughlin.

I find the Steelers get by on skill a lot of the time, but then when they can't, they get smoked. Which causes Tomlin to become defensive of his calls. On-side kick, clock management, etc. That stuff when taken serious decides games - and I think Tomlin assumes it's someone elses problem when they lose.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:26 pm

While it seems pretty clear that Roethlisberger has turned his personal life around. He has to own some of the team's hi-jinx. He's not a passive bystander on this team. The face of the franchise has some clout and ability to influence a bad culture.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:28 pm

Agreed. All of these guys speaking out now is purely out of convenience. I would hope they keep speaking about it when it pops up again, as it surely will.

To that degree I give Ben a fair shake because when Bryant was speaking up via social media, he fought back. He lets things slide with AB and Bell though, that's for sure.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:32 pm

Can the whole team suddenly get married and start a family as damage control?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:33 pm

Can the whole team suddenly get married and start a family as damage control?
That only works to mute sexual assault allegations.