Outdoor Activities

robbiestoupe

Outdoor Activities

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:52 am

We booked our trip to Yellowstone - going in September. This is my first time past the Rockies on a non-work sponsored trip.

Coincidentally, PBS has been showing a special called Great Yellowstone Thaw. I have a feeling I won't want to come back.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Outdoor Activities

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:21 pm

some dood caught a paddle fish on the allgeheny. very cool sht right here

http://triblive.com/local/valleynewsdis ... heny-river

dodint

Outdoor Activities

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:12 pm

Props to him for releasing it.

Silentom

Outdoor Activities

Postby Silentom » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:14 pm

Indeed. That'd be awesome to pull something out like that.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Outdoor Activities

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:29 pm

Props to him for releasing it.
It is illegal to keep paddlefish.....so....yeah.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Outdoor Activities

Postby iamjs » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:59 pm

Oh man, haven't been freshwater fishing since.............................. the 80s? Crap.
think it's been 91 for me. I acquired my dad's fishing gear last year. Tackle boxes full of stuff that I'm not even sure what or how it's used. It's been sitting in my basement and really hasn't moved since I acquired it.

With the new job and hearing about people fishing, I considering learning/getting back into it/whatever you call it.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Outdoor Activities

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:02 am

the nice thing about fishing is that it is what you make of it. you want to sit around a lake, passively fishing, and just enjoy the sights and sounds? Go for it. You want to drop five digits on a boat and technology? Go for it? You want to wade ass deep into river water and try to catch some bass while getting a legit workout? Go for it. You want to be a nerd and tie your own ties and be a pseudo romantic fly fisher? Go for it.

dodint

Outdoor Activities

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:52 am

Did a fishing charter on Lake Erie out of Oak Harbor, OH. I have never hired a boat to do fresh water fishing, was a cool bucket list item to check off. I've been spoiled by a good friend of mine being a salt water deep sea fishing captain but this was fun too. We hooked up a few walleye that were under the limit, and some sheeps head which I never knew was a thing in fresh water, totally different fish from the salt variety. Mostly we caught perch, 89 of them which is a healthy sized fish fry since there were six of us.

I don't give Ohio credit for much, but it was a really pretty day yesterday and it was great to get outside and do something new. With everything going on with my wife and stuff lately it was really nice to slip away and get on the water again.

robbiestoupe

Outdoor Activities

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:07 am

https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/news/hot-topics.htm
The National Park Service is considering increases to fees at 17 national parks during peak visitor seasons. The peak season for each park would be defined as its busiest contiguous five-month period of visitation. During the peak season at each park, the entrance fee would be $70 per private, non-commercial vehicle; $50 per motorcycle; and $30 per person on bike or foot.
I'm not totally against a rate hike, but I think they should put the burden on non-US citizens. When I visited Yellowstone last month, well over 50% of the visitors were non-US citizens. Increasing the rate on US citizens will detract people from visiting these parks (which I think is a great privilege).

Foreigners will come to visit the sites regardless, IMO. They are already paying large amounts to travel to the US, and most will hit multiple parks while in the states.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Outdoor Activities

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:16 am

I'm going to go apesht if PA ever starts charging for its state parks.

Its kind of a shame that so many really great places are just so polluted with people though. A few years back this gentleman went to see the Maroon Bells outside of aspen. It was a special place but i'll be damned if I ever hike somewhere that was so infested with people again. The whole point of hiking is getting the f away from people

robbiestoupe

Outdoor Activities

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:41 am

Amen Mr. Roo. My first mind boggling experience was at Smokey Mountains NP near Labor Day. We hiked a trail that was just under a mile, and it was lined from top to bottom with people going both ways. Takes some of the aura out of it.

You have to go to places where it takes some energy and stamina if you want to enjoy the true peace and quiet. Hikes greater than a few miles, portages, long bike rides, etc.

dodint

Outdoor Activities

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:00 pm

Talking in the Jobs thread reminded me that I need to get a way, if only for a short 3-4 days weekend.

Also, this is kind of on the fringe of this topic but whatever.

Anyone know a decent cabin rental within about 2 hours of Pittsburgh, preferably east. Has to be single dog pet friendly. Looking to do it in January or February. Bonus points if it comes with two sets of snow shoes. I just want to get out on a ridge somewhere and walk my dog in the woods for a few days where there are no computer screens or law books.

Tony? This seems like a you thing.

Maybe I'll check VRBO or something.

robbiestoupe

Outdoor Activities

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:37 am

Glamping or camping type setting? Cooks Forest is always a wonderful getaway in the winter, but expect pricey rentals. I'm not sure if Lynn Run rents in the winter, but we stayed at a cabin back in April that would be suitable for winter conditions. There was only one though, so may be tough to rent.

If you're looking for a more rustic setting, Laurel Highlands trail has lean-to's available every 5-10 miles. I'm actually doing my second stint of winter camping there this upcoming season.

dodint

Outdoor Activities

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:47 am

Nah, like I said, this may be the wrong thread. Not looking for camping, just a cabin rental that is actually a little remote. I don't want to rent a condo at Seven Springs but I still want electricity, running water, etc.

shafnutz05

Outdoor Activities

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:59 am

Nah, like I said, this may be the wrong thread. Not looking for camping, just a cabin rental that is actually a little remote. I don't want to rent a condo at Seven Springs but I still want electricity, running water, etc.
I would rent something up in Allegheny National Forest. You aren't going to be 100 percent remote, but will be a lot quieter and more isolated than it is here.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Outdoor Activities

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:00 am

I just rented a cabin from ohiopyle vacation rentals if that is the type of thing you would like

they do charge $$$ for dogs and they do have TVs.

Dogs in cabins program for PA state parks:

http://www.docs.dcnr.pa.gov/cs/groups/p ... 031733.pdf

prince Gallitzin has modern cabins that allow dogs. its a pretty nice park, very large. ample hiking. not really in the ridge and valley country though.

columbia

Outdoor Activities

Postby columbia » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:02 am

Allegheny National Forest is super for getting away from most humans - if that is the goal.

dodint

Outdoor Activities

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:05 am

Thanks. In NC Grandfather Mountain was our go to, and there is a cabin every five feet in Wisconsin. Haven't had a chance to look here yet so I figured I'd get the ball rolling by asking you fine folks. Thanks!

AuthorTony

Outdoor Activities

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:26 am

Tony? This seems like a you thing.

Maybe I'll check VRBO or something.
Definitely my thing. My go to is Berkeley Springs because it's close and I don't have to spend a day driving there. There are tons of cabins available in that area. One that I stayed at last year which was very nice and very remote (for the area, you couldn't see any other cabins/houses) is Stonedrifts. It's about 35 min from town (but I drive like a granny so for others it would be less).
https://www.vrbo.com/270877

The Hocking Hills area in OH has some nice ones. The PA Wilds is a place I've been wanting to go but all the dog friendly cabins I've found were either stupid expensive or had too many restrictions to screw with.

Further away, Lost River, WV is very nice and there are some cabins way up on the ridge, but there are other houses in sight.

Obviously, NC is full of great spots but that's a hike to get down there.

Also, Drooly Bear bear Raystown is a little run down (very old, partially working appliances) but I still enjoyed it. You have to make a fire for heat though.
https://www.vrbo.com/248667

dodint

Outdoor Activities

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:39 am

Thanks. I'll dig into these next week.

The ideal situation is to get remote enough that I can let my dog off leash with a reasonable expectation that she won't get hit by a car. We haven't really done that since we'd go to the beach.

shafnutz05

Outdoor Activities

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:44 am

Thanks. I'll dig into these next week.

The ideal situation is to get remote enough that I can let my dog off leash with a reasonable expectation that she won't get hit by a car. We haven't really done that since we'd go to the beach.
I actually just got an itch to reserve an isolated cabin for a few days up there...this was the first thing I found:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/20458516

Honestly, I think AirBnB is the best choice. I have absolutely no desire to stay in a campground with dozens of other people...that ruins the whole point of making the trip. There are a lot of very isolated spots on AirBnB and others. This cabin is on 30 acres...

dodint

Outdoor Activities

Postby dodint » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:25 am

That looked fantastic right up to the coffin nail. How posh is this place that it's not suitable for pets?

Willie Kool

Outdoor Activities

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:44 am

How posh is this place that it's not suitable for pets?
Apparently pretty posh
- Please remove shoes in mud room.
:roll:

dodint

Outdoor Activities

Postby dodint » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:45 am

Yeah.

I'm not picking on shaf, the suggestion of using AirBnB is great. I like AirBnB, used it last week. That property just doesn't seem to fit my needs, which is fine.

shafnutz05

Outdoor Activities

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:20 pm

Yeah.

I'm not picking on shaf, the suggestion of using AirBnB is great. I like AirBnB, used it last week. That property just doesn't seem to fit my needs, which is fine.
Haha, yes I wasn't suggesting you should book this place. I was saying that your best chance of finding truly isolated destinations is going to be in that vein.

In a related vein, I am 100% staying here in the next 2-3 years. Only dark sky site in the mid-Atlantic:

http://www.swedenvalleycabins.com/Cherr ... _Park.html

http://www.blueskieslodge.com/
Blue Skies Lodge is a remote, isolated mountaintop Cabin in the middle of 55 acres with your own private star gazing field. Located on the same parallel as Cherry Springs State Park, it sleeps up to six, has a complete kitchen and we supply all the towels and linens.

Hike our trails, take in mountain air from the wrap around deck or commune over the fire-pit with family and friends.
This sounds amzing.