Outdoor Activities

MrKennethTKangaroo

Outdoor Activities

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:04 pm

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/ ... /index.htm

That gives a rough list of walk in sites. Good starting points.

robbiestoupe

Outdoor Activities

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:08 pm

I'm going to start looking soon at destinations within about a 3 hour radius for some motorcycle camping. I assume there are tons. Might just do Ohiopyle first before looking somewhere completely new but I'm open for suggestions. We like to find sites we can park the bike and backpack to, we're not so much into the practice of driving to a campground and 'camping' next to 40 other people who are sitting around watching TV in their RVs.
Check out the Laurel Highlands Trail. There are lean-to's every 7-10 miles, about 4-5 sites per. Just make sure you bring your own water, as I don't think it's potable.

As I finish typing this, I realize the trail starts in Ohiopyle, but that is where you will see 40 other car-campers with you.

robbiestoupe

Outdoor Activities

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed May 03, 2017 9:57 am

Rachel Carson Trail - an underrated treasure in the burgh. My wife and I are planning to hike it a few miles at a time, whenever we get the chance. This past weekend we did a section from Route 8 near Aldi to Sample Road. It was only 2-3 miles, but it was really fun traversing the creek and getting a little bit of quiet between major roads.

The parts of the trail we've done are a decent challenge. I really don't know how the people who do the Rachel Carson Challenge are able to finish the whole trail in a day.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Outdoor Activities

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon May 08, 2017 3:17 pm

@robbiestoupe

Always got the impression that the RCT was essentially just walking through peoples back yards and next to roads and stuff. Is that accurate?

Also, anyone either A.) Camp at chapman state park in the ANF and B.) Ever hiked the minister creek trail

robbiestoupe

Outdoor Activities

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon May 08, 2017 3:59 pm

@robbiestoupe

Always got the impression that the RCT was essentially just walking through peoples back yards and next to roads and stuff. Is that accurate?

Also, anyone either A.) Camp at chapman state park in the ANF and B.) Ever hiked the minister creek trail
That's semi-accurate*. There are parts where you are walking on the border of some people's property, but other parts that are far enough away from civilization that you don't hear any noise pollution.

* I've only done maybe 1/4 of the trail so far, so YMMV. I've done from Hampton Community Park to the end in North Park, and also a section near route 28 near Pittsburgh Mills (my favorite section so far - don't remember going near any properties, and get a bird's eye view of the Allegheny River).

Here's a good map of the trail: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 00004&z=12

Viva la Ben

Outdoor Activities

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon May 08, 2017 6:24 pm

We do 4 nights at knoebel's campground every year. This year there are around 20 of us. After becoming obsessed with these MRE reviews on YouTube I got two cases of US MREs for our meal night. 24 meals, ready to eat...the full A & B menus with 11/18 expiration dates. Plus my aunt who is a big Trumpster will get the 25th meal....a Russian federation single meal; all thanks to eBay.

Silentom

Outdoor Activities

Postby Silentom » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:09 am

Stopped at Pine Creek off of Wildwood-Sample Rd after work last night, for some fishing with Pops. Perfect night for it, and the smallmouth were hitting!

MrKennethTKangaroo

Outdoor Activities

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:10 am

gotta gget my friggin fishing license this year

edit: this gentlemen has a lifetime goal of visiting all 120+ state parks in the fair commonwealth of PA. So far this year have picked up two-Chapman and Hills Creek. Hills Creek was a fairly yuge letdown after seeing how interesting the geography is along route 15 north of wellsboro

eddy

Outdoor Activities

Postby eddy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:16 am

gotta gget my friggin fishing license this year

edit: this gentlemen has a lifetime goal of visiting all 120+ state parks in the fair commonwealth of PA. So far this year have picked up two-Chapman and Hills Creek. Hills Creek was a fairly yuge letdown after seeing how interesting the geography is along route 15 north of wellsboro
This past weekend at Fort Necessity I saw they had a state park passport which I thought was pretty cool and it looks like they have certain stamps at each park. This idea crossed my mind after seeing that.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Outdoor Activities

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:24 am

Yeah that passport looks like it would be a lot of fun. This pseudo-outdoorsman is a member of the PA parks and forest foundation, which sells the damn things, so it would make sense just to buy one. Some company also released some really cool state park patches, if patches are your thing:

http://goodbonesstudio.com/new-project/

eddy

Outdoor Activities

Postby eddy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:58 am

I'm heading to the Kinzua Bridge State Park this weekend with the family, I may have to grab that passport as I'll have hit 5 in the last week.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Outdoor Activities

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:16 am

I'm heading to the Kinzua Bridge State Park this weekend with the family, I may have to grab that passport as I'll have hit 5 in the last week.
very cool park. a testament to human ingeniuty and the power of mother nature. not somewhere you'll spend the whole day, but it is still cool. there is a good ice cream place in mt. jewett.

eddy

Outdoor Activities

Postby eddy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:55 am

very cool park. a testament to human ingeniuty and the power of mother nature. not somewhere you'll spend the whole day, but it is still cool. there is a good ice cream place in mt. jewett.
this is true (tastee freeze, right?). My great grandpa helped build the bridge (I have a lot family from up around there). I used to hike across it when younger and come back up on the valley floor. I can't believe they used to let people walk across those tracks with no support on the sides or below.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Outdoor Activities

Postby LITT » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:03 pm

do people still play paintball?

MrKennethTKangaroo

Outdoor Activities

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:24 pm

yes. a friend had a birthday party as a paintball facility last year.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Outdoor Activities

Postby LITT » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:40 pm

interesting. when i was a young lad one of my side hustles was reffing paintball on weekends. i feel like its lost popularity. it was an expensive hobby

robbiestoupe

Outdoor Activities

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:09 pm

@eddysnake, @MrKennethTKangaroo, have either of you hit up Hickory Run State Park? We stopped by there on the way back from a long trip, and wish we had more time to explore. It's definitely worth a 1hr stop if you are ever travelling across state on I-80. The boulder field is breath taking.

eddy

Outdoor Activities

Postby eddy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:40 pm

I have not, but that sounds great. I haven't been to many state parks in Eastern PA.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Outdoor Activities

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:13 pm

Yes, this gentleman stayed there overnight a few years back. The park itself was very cool but the campground was bleh and the bathrooms were definitely below the line. that being said, lots of cool trails and the boulder field was fun and interesting.

eddy

Outdoor Activities

Postby eddy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:22 pm

while it's not a state park, one of my favorite places to goto is Bilgers Rocks up around Grampian and Currwensville, PA.

http://uncoveringpa.com/visiting-bilgers-rocks

LITT

Outdoor Activities

Postby LITT » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:07 pm

Has anyone used one of those solo stove fire pits/stoves that are supposed to Be "smokeless" based on how it burns

shafnutz05

Outdoor Activities

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:35 am

while it's not a state park, one of my favorite places to goto is Bilgers Rocks up around Grampian and Currwensville, PA.

http://uncoveringpa.com/visiting-bilgers-rocks
:thumb:

That was one of the first parks our Mom took us to when I was younger. I always remembered where they were because Grampian reminded me of Grandpa, so I thought a lot of old people lived there (probably not wrong) :lol:

eddy

Outdoor Activities

Postby eddy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:42 am

A couple pics from Kinzua Bridge this weekend. They did such a nice job with the welcoming center, I was very impressed.

LITT

Outdoor Activities

Postby LITT » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:43 am

thats interesting. i know nothing about that bridge nor have i heard about it. what happened to it?

eddy

Outdoor Activities

Postby eddy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:44 am

tornado. The bridge has so much interesting history to it, I'm glad they build the center so people can learn about it. Very cool place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinzua_Bridge_State_Park