Outdoor Activities

Silentom

The OFFICIAL Fishing Thread

Postby Silentom » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:35 am

Managed to hit Pine Creek after work yesterday. Few people still lingering from opening day. Saw a beautiful palomino swimming in a pool, but couldn't get him to hit anything.

So glad spring is here. Next stop is Erie for the smallmouth season!

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:51 am

Managed to hit Pine Creek after work yesterday. Few people still lingering from opening day. Saw a beautiful palomino swimming in a pool, but couldn't get him to hit anything.

Solid bump.

When you go to erie, do you fish by boat, shore, wade?

This gentleman waded in Presque isle two years ago in june. Only caught 3 or 4 bass, but obviously they were much bigger than the mopey smallies in the yough or cassleman, where this gentleman usually fishes.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:53 am

Solid bump.

When you go to erie, do you fish by boat, shore, wade?

This gentleman waded in Presque isle two years ago in june. Only caught 3 or 4 bass, but obviously they were much bigger than the mopey smallies in the yough or cassleman, where this gentleman usually fishes.
Sometimes we wade the bay. Usually we hit the mile streams, though. Last year we went up to 20 mile in June and they were everywhere.

Nothing like pulling those football sized fish out of 8" of water. They fight like hell. too.

Joegap

Postby Joegap » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:03 am

Opening day of trout is almost upon us and I'm itching like a mofo to get out in the water! Depending on water levels me and the old man usually hit the Slippery Rock creek off the Portersville exit, but I have a feeling with this rain that the water levels will just be to dang high for it. Which usually means Deer Lakes because its close.

Anyone else going out for Opening Day and beyond?
Did you end up going to Slippery Rock? We were at Slippery Rock right near you, ended up catching 7 or 8.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:16 am

Opening day of trout is almost upon us and I'm itching like a mofo to get out in the water! Depending on water levels me and the old man usually hit the Slippery Rock creek off the Portersville exit, but I have a feeling with this rain that the water levels will just be to dang high for it. Which usually means Deer Lakes because its close.

Did you end up going to Slippery Rock? We were at Slippery Rock right near you, ended up catching 7 or 8.
Lol, I posted that last April.

Joegap

Postby Joegap » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:18 am

Hahha whoops :face: ! Well on a good note the creek was beautiful this year!

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:21 am

Hahha whoops :face: ! Well on a good note the creek was beautiful this year!
All good. We usually go up there every year. This year is the anomaly. Getting sick of the crowds of people on opening day who you never see out there again.

So we skipped Saturday and just went to Pine Creek last night. They're restocking today, which is also nice. :fist:

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:11 pm

big fan of Slippy Rock in McConnell's mill above the dam.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:19 pm

I can't stop reading this thread title as Oh-Fish-All Fishing Thread. I know PFiDC already said that, but my mind won't unsee it.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:33 pm

I know. :( I was bummed that I blew that opportunity.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:22 am

big fan of Slippy Rock in McConnell's mill above the dam.
That is a nice stretch. I enjoy going there on occasion as well.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue May 10, 2016 9:00 am

bump

there is no outdoors thread, so this gentleman will post here.

thinking about doing some hiking and/or outdoorsy stuff on memorial day weekend, either at black moshanon state park or parker dam state park. any comments?

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:55 am

Anyone go out this year? Pops found a nice spot in North Park. There wasn't a soul around. Everyone crams into the lake and the bend on Wildwood Rd.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:57 am

Also, can we rename this to the Outdoors Thread or something in that vein? Our friend the marsupial is right in that there is no outdoors thread here at 5AF.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:58 am

You're the thread owner om...

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:59 am

Fishing where I am is pretty terrible. Really need to go off the coast for good stuff.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:10 am

You're the thread owner om...
Oy. Forgot OP's could change the title. :face:

Silentom

Outdoor Activities

Postby Silentom » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:12 am

Fishing where I am is pretty terrible. Really need to go off the coast for good stuff.
I'd love to do some ocean fishing at some point. Just haven't had the opportunity, yet.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Outdoor Activities

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:24 am

Haven't purchased a fishing license yet and unfortunately the schedule deems that fishing time will be at a premium. will be camping @ chapman state park in the ANF in may....might be a reason to get a license.

robbiestoupe

Outdoor Activities

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:31 am

First off, thank you for renaming the outdoor thread. This is my kind of thread.

Second, I'm hitting up Linn Run this weekend with friends. I am not a fisherman by any means, as I'll only fish if I'm at my aunt & uncles in Ohio who have a stocked pond. But I decided to get a license this year (first time) and will be trying my hand at it.

(t)Om, you mentioned Pine Creek early on. Are there good spots I should look out for? What about Emmerling Park - ever been? My buddy keeps telling me he wants to go there to fish, so thinking of doing that with him sometime this year.

Silentom

Outdoor Activities

Postby Silentom » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:35 am

Never been to Emmerling Park, but Pine Creek has some nice areas. The bottom of Wildwood-Sample Rd is good for trout, and little smallmouths in the late spring/summer. Decent fishing in Pine near the North Park bait shop, too.

dodint

Outdoor Activities

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:17 am

I'm going to start looking soon at destinations within about a 3 hour radius for some motorcycle camping. I assume there are tons. Might just do Ohiopyle first before looking somewhere completely new but I'm open for suggestions. We like to find sites we can park the bike and backpack to, we're not so much into the practice of driving to a campground and 'camping' next to 40 other people who are sitting around watching TV in their RVs.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Outdoor Activities

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:38 pm

A lot of the state parks have designated walk in sites. some of those sites are ~100 yards from the road, and some are just a few feet from the road but isolated enough from the other campers. Kenny the kangaroo stayed at a walk in only site at little pine (which is just beyond the 3 hour limit) and it was a nice blend of privacy and convenience. There are other places where they are more remote. There are two walk in sites at blue knob that were like a quarter mile from the actual campground. not sure how mrs. int would feel about having to make a steep hike up a hill for 10 minutes to go to the bathroom, but if you want remote, blue knob has a good opportunity for a remote site.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Outdoor Activities

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:39 pm

Never been to Emmerling Park, but Pine Creek has some nice areas. The bottom of Wildwood-Sample Rd is good for trout, and little smallmouths in the late spring/summer. Decent fishing in Pine near the North Park bait shop, too.
The DHALO section near Duncan supposedly is popular but this gentleman has never actually sacked up and fished there

dodint

Outdoor Activities

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:47 pm

A lot of the state parks have designated walk in sites. some of those sites are ~100 yards from the road, and some are just a few feet from the road but isolated enough from the other campers. Kenny the kangaroo stayed at a walk in only site at little pine (which is just beyond the 3 hour limit) and it was a nice blend of privacy and convenience. There are other places where they are more remote. There are two walk in sites at blue knob that were like a quarter mile from the actual campground. not sure how mrs. int would feel about having to make a steep hike up a hill for 10 minutes to go to the bathroom, but if you want remote, blue knob has a good opportunity for a remote site.
Cool. We did this last 4th of July in Wisconsin. The walk-in was about 1.5mi uphill, but they had an outhouse at the site and that helped. Each of the three sites was about 100 yards apart through woods so we might as well have been remote. Looking for the same kind of setup here.