NTP66's thread of IT

dodint

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:06 am

Yeah, 2020 is super obscure and I am just being obtuse by using it. I just really hate the DC products, they waste resourses and still try to contact the cloud constantly even if you are not signed into it.

Tangentially, I finallly sat down and did the cost analysis on Adobe Acrobat Pro subscription vs. flat fee. It's $15/mo or $450. So the flat fee version pays for itself after 30 months. The product support life cycle is currently 5 years, so if you catch it early in the product cycle or are willing to keep using it beyond support it averages down pretty far. Adobe products tend to be very unsafe beyond end of life, or even during support. ;)

The thing I don't like is you can install it on as many machines as you want but you have to be signed in to use it and you can only be signed in to one at a time.

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:26 am

The new Edge is pretty good actually.
Because it’s based entirely on Chromium. :)

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:28 am

Yeah, 2020 is super obscure and I am just being obtuse by using it. I just really hate the DC products, they waste resourses and still try to contact the cloud constantly even if you are not signed into it.

Tangentially, I finallly sat down and did the cost analysis on Adobe Acrobat Pro subscription vs. flat fee. It's $15/mo or $450. So the flat fee version pays for itself after 30 months. The product support life cycle is currently 5 years, so if you catch it early in the product cycle or are willing to keep using it beyond support it averages down pretty far. Adobe products tend to be very unsafe beyond end of life, or even during support. ;)

The thing I don't like is you can install it on as many machines as you want but you have to be signed in to use it and you can only be signed in to one at a time.
You’ve done more research than I would have. :lol: Are you only interested in using Adobe Reader? If so, Foxit Reader is a very good free alternative.

dodint

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:32 am

I downloaded and used Foxit for the evening until we figured out the 2020 piece. Like I said, I am being obtuse. My reasoning being that because I am obligated, due to the feature set, to eventually get Acrobat Pro I might as well stay in the same product family from the start. I am setting up a new laptop that I bought this week and I do law firm work on it that will eventually require the Adobe Acrobat Pro feature set.

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:34 am

Ah, gotcha. Acrobat Pro does have a lot of nice features, and I don’t know of any competent free alternatives.

dodint

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:04 pm

Yeah, I need stuff like digital signing, redaction (with and without password), etc.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby iamjs » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:37 am

So I unwittingly stumbled into like a Product Owner or whatever for a while...and that role has continued to grow into basically adjudicating when IT tickets get done...

So this week I became a user in our IT ticketing system and I have a copy of them all coming to me...

I know there's some IT folks here, but Jesus H. ****...how pathetic are you losers that are submitting these tickets?!?!

"Can you chew my juice for me, mommy?" "Can you type my password in for me, my fingies are sticky"

I basically read 80% of them like...

I knew it would be bad, but man alive...you can't figure anything out on your own...?
We had some real winners at my last job.

"We're out of coffee. Can somebody bring us up some coffee? If possible brewed."

Towards the end of my days at the last place, I ended up being labeled as "he's the one with the coffee" since I'd always try to bring in some non-Starbucks stuff because of my strong dislike of Starbucks. As long as I got a cup of what I brewed in the AM, I didn't care who drank what was left. That somehow ended up translating into "hey, JS must be in charge of coffee. He's in IT. I'll just drop a ticket for him." Yeah, except building management was responsible for our coffee stations. I ended up closing it with a semi-snarky response saying that IT doesn't provide coffee for the building. Had this person not been on my shitlist for another recent offense, my response would have probably been different.

"Why wasn't my trash emptied last night. This is unacceptable."

The best part about this one is that it was somehow routed to our queue for a user that was three time zones away in CA. If we had to reroute tickets to another group in a different location, it was required that we needed to provide an explanation before transferring the ticket. I thought my response of "(our group) is unable to accommodate this request in a timely manner, as it would require a three hour flight. Rerouting to local support" was quite funny. Apparently the team lead in that office didn't think it was, which in turn got me a talking-to about ticket etiquette.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby meow » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:53 am

I think I’ve told this story before, but I had a 45 minute meeting with a EVP at my company - dude’s base salary is seven figures. And every time I said “click” he would ask “left or right button?” And my response would always be “left, sir. There is no right click functionality.” No joke, I said this 30 times. Now, I get that he is a frigging genius in his area and is world renowned, but come on man.

willeyeam

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby willeyeam » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:00 pm

I feel like after take two or three you should have just said left click instead of click. That's why you don't get seven figures

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby meow » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:04 pm

mikey

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby mikey » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:43 pm

So I unwittingly stumbled into like a Product Owner or whatever for a while...and that role has continued to grow into basically adjudicating when IT tickets get done...

So this week I became a user in our IT ticketing system and I have a copy of them all coming to me...

I know there's some IT folks here, but Jesus H. ****...how pathetic are you losers that are submitting these tickets?!?!

"Can you chew my juice for me, mommy?" "Can you type my password in for me, my fingies are sticky"

I basically read 80% of them like...

I knew it would be bad, but man alive...you can't figure anything out on your own...?
We had some real winners at my last job.

"We're out of coffee. Can somebody bring us up some coffee? If possible brewed."

Towards the end of my days at the last place, I ended up being labeled as "he's the one with the coffee" since I'd always try to bring in some non-Starbucks stuff because of my strong dislike of Starbucks. As long as I got a cup of what I brewed in the AM, I didn't care who drank what was left. That somehow ended up translating into "hey, JS must be in charge of coffee. He's in IT. I'll just drop a ticket for him." Yeah, except building management was responsible for our coffee stations. I ended up closing it with a semi-snarky response saying that IT doesn't provide coffee for the building. Had this person not been on my shitlist for another recent offense, my response would have probably been different.

"Why wasn't my trash emptied last night. This is unacceptable."

The best part about this one is that it was somehow routed to our queue for a user that was three time zones away in CA. If we had to reroute tickets to another group in a different location, it was required that we needed to provide an explanation before transferring the ticket. I thought my response of "(our group) is unable to accommodate this request in a timely manner, as it would require a three hour flight. Rerouting to local support" was quite funny. Apparently the team lead in that office didn't think it was, which in turn got me a talking-to about ticket etiquette.
I saw one go by a couple weeks ago that said, "Batteries Needed for my Mouse"

It continued...

"Good Afternoon,

I need a battery for my mouse."

And let's just say you don't know where the batteries are in the office supply closet or if you're unsure about cracking open company-owned tech equipment, fine, fair enough...but you're currently working from home, so, what kind of operation do you think we're running here...? What's those nerds that drive around in that Aamco van...? Geek Squad or whatever? We have like 1.5 IT admin people, the rest are developers, we're not coming to find you even if your computer was on fire and was transmitting social security numbers out on to Craigslist...

DigitalGypsy66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:03 pm

There should be a way to block a particular user on a Windows 10 PC from adjusting/changing clock settings? I have a very shifty 14 year old who is working his way around time restrictions on his PC by altering the computer's time. I've tried User Group policy settings, but that hasn't done anything.

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:15 pm

There should be a way to block a particular user on a Windows 10 PC from adjusting/changing clock settings? I have a very shifty 14 year old who is working his way around time restrictions on his PC by altering the computer's time. I've tried User Group policy settings, but that hasn't done anything.
Do it via the local security policy (assuming that you have your own account on that PC... which you should): https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/929 ... -10-a.html

DigitalGypsy66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:02 pm

Yeah, I tried option two and three...no dice. I didn’t have time to try option one last night...guess that’s up next.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby iamjs » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:18 pm

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/105 ... ndows.html

would this work? I know it says changing the date/time formats but I want to say this locked out the ability to change anything.

DigitalGypsy66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:11 am

^ This change blocks from changing region or time and date formats. I tried this too, and had no dice. :lol:

mikey

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby mikey » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:56 am

Saw this IT ticket come through today, this is it in its entirety...

"Had icon which brought up my document, [name of server] and so forth.

How do I get it back ?"

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:55 pm

I have officially made the switch to Edge Chromium on all of my work devices; Chrome is now gone. I never thought I'd see the day where I went back to using a Microsoft browser full-time.

faftorial

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby faftorial » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:58 pm

I have officially made the switch to Edge Chromium on all of my work devices; Chrome is now gone. I never thought I'd see the day where I went back to using a Microsoft browser full-time.
Isn't that chromium underneath it's skin? So none of the crap in Chrome is in chromium?

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:21 pm

It is, but Edge Chromium consumes far less memory and CPU. They’ve also rolled out the new features quicker than Google has. Microsoft’s developers are simply doing a better job with the engine, which is hilarious.

faftorial

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby faftorial » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:24 pm

It is, but Edge Chromium consumes far less memory and CPU. They’ve also rolled out the new features quicker than Google has. Microsoft’s developers are simply doing a better job with the engine, which is hilarious.
FF and Chrome use ridiculous amounts of RAM these days.

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:26 pm

FF and Chrome use ridiculous amounts of RAM these days.
And that’s exactly why we’re replacing everything with Edge Chromium at work. I still run FF at home because of how customizable the GUI is (CSS 4 lyfe), but the second they remove that I’m out.

Tomas

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby Tomas » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:53 pm

I got Airpods Pro as a gift. I'd like to use it with my archaic 2014 Dell Precision M6700 mobile workstation (still running Windows 7 Professional) - which, surprisingly, does NOT have Bluetooth.

I never had to deal with a Bluetooth-lacking notebook, so here is my question:

Can I buy the simplest, cheapest Bluetooth adapter (something like
) or do Airpods Pro require something different/more expensive?

Thanks!!

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:54 pm

I got Airpods Pro as a gift. I'd like to use it with my archaic 2014 Dell Precision M6700 mobile workstation (still running Windows 7 Professional) - which, surprisingly, does NOT have Bluetooth.

I never had to deal with a Bluetooth-lacking notebook, so here is my question:

Can I buy the simplest, cheapest Bluetooth adapter (something like
) or do Airpods Pro require something different/more expensive?

Thanks!!
That will work for you just fine. TP-Link makes quality stuff, FWIW.

DigitalGypsy66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:05 pm

Are the AirPods proprietary to Apple devices though? Like my Apple Pencil won’t work with my Pixel 3, or Android tablet, etc.