NTP66's thread of IT

dodint

dodint's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:40 pm

I haven't researched at all, but from what I understand the effects of CryptoWall and similar can be reversed if done on a standard account. If they're logged in as Administrator they're hosed. I've also heard they'll negotiate down since they have no incentive to turn down a lesser sum.
Source of the post Is there a way for Win 7 to give me the option to use an administrator password on the standard user account?
Have you tried Ctrl+Shift+Left Click? Will run a program as Administrator even if there is no right click option to do so.

Sarcastic

dodint's thread of IT

Postby Sarcastic » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:26 am

That image Digi posted looks like it's from CBT Locker. Here's more info on this infection. It's not fun.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-r ... nformation

dodint

dodint's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:04 pm

Yay, updated Flash Player to 7..169 and now Chrome doesn't do Flash. Weeeeeeeee, hate Chrome.

tifosi77

dodint's thread of IT

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:19 pm

Yay, updated Flash Player to 7..169 and now Chrome doesn't do Flash. Weeeeeeeee, hate Chrome.
Huh? Chrome has Adobe Flash built in.

shmenguin

dodint's thread of IT

Postby shmenguin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:28 pm

She's screwed. From above link:
Unfortunately, there is no possibility to decrypt the crypted by CBT Locker files for now, unless you pay the ransom. Please, consider this as the very last option, because you might be funding further criminal activities.
I just read that and they have instructions on how to get rid of it so she should be fine if she follows the instructions. Tell her top stop downloading pr0n.
depending on the virus, she is definitely screwed. this happened to my office last month. if i didn't have reliable data backups in place, we would have been paying these people all the money.

but the good news is, i hear that if you pay them, they do indeed cooperate.

skullman80

dodint's thread of IT

Postby skullman80 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:33 pm

This is yet another reason to always have backups. That's some pretty crazy stuff reading through there. It's a shame that people who are obviously talented choose to do stuff like that. You would think security firms etc would love to have people who can write damaging stuff like that so they could use them to combat it from the inside out.

dodint

dodint's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:16 pm

Huh? Chrome has Adobe Flash built in.
Yeah, and yet, not working. It's even toggled on in the Plugins menu and says "Enabled by Enterprise Policy" and yet, now it's broke. Meh.

Silentom

dodint's thread of IT

Postby Silentom » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:26 am

How is Chrome anyway? I've been using Firefox so long that I can't bring myself to switch to something else. (Even though the little t-rex thing on Chrome is good LoL's.)

DigitalGypsy66

dodint's thread of IT

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:47 am

Source of the post How is Chrome anyway?
I've been using Chrome for a few years after switching from the increasingly bloated Firefox. I really like it, and use it on multiple devices and platforms - all my passwords and browsing history is synced between all platforms. Of course, that means Google knows what I'm up to though... :lol:

We're also a Google for Education campus, meaning we use Gmail, Calendar, Drive/Docs, Sites, Groups etc. for our I.T. backend(?) So of course, Chrome works well with that.

Silentom

dodint's thread of IT

Postby Silentom » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:50 am

We're also a Google for Education campus, meaning we use Gmail, Calendar, Drive/Docs, Sites, Groups etc. for our I.T. backend(?) So of course, Chrome works well with that.
Yeah, everything is Google where I work now as well, as far as Gmail, drives, etc., and I do dig it so far. I've just been so used to ff for the last 10 years that I don't know if I want to switch yet. Almost like the Kingsford commercial where the guy has been inside all winter. :slug:

DigitalGypsy66

dodint's thread of IT

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:00 am

Yeah, I was like that too. I used Firefox exclusively until Chome started to gain traction. Firefox just got really bloated and sluggish for a while there.

We also use Blackboard for our course management system, and that works best with Firefox, so I still have it installed for that.

And our student information system works best with Internet exploder, so I use that occasionally... :roll:

Silentom

dodint's thread of IT

Postby Silentom » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:19 am

Blackboard is solid. We almost integrated our access control with it a few years ago, but decided to upgrade existing instead. I can't believe anybody tries to support IE anymore. I feel your pain there.

dodint

dodint's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:17 pm

Chrome is a memory hog, weird to hear people say that is a reason to take it over Firefox. Also, Firefox Sync does the multi-platform sharing of favorites, passwords, etc.

Everything else I use is Google except the browser, the interface is just so bad. I also use OneDrive in place of GDrive for documents, but OneDrive* has been tripping over its own ballsack lately so I'm considering moving exclusively to GDrive.

*My issue with OneDrive is as soon as I open a file from a folder in my OS, it gets a Red X and a prompt says that "An Office File Needs Your Attention" and that I have to open it. But it's already open. Closing it doesn't fix it, I have to resave it for it to go back to synced. Sometimes this will happen with batches of files. Very annoying.

Anyone else using the latest build of Win10 Technical Preview? They changed the start menu and now the start menu shortcuts are dead. You click on something and it just sits there doing nothing, but if you right click and run as administrator the app will launch. This is a step back from the last build, really weird.

DigitalGypsy66

dodint's thread of IT

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:37 pm

Source of the post Chrome is a memory hog, weird to hear people say that is a reason to take it over Firefox.
At the time (2007? 2008?), Firefox was really putting out bloated releases. Slow browsing speeds, too. Chrome was (at that time) much faster and more efficient, and I'm sure FF has improved. I can confirm that Chrome is a memory hog, especially if you run multiple instances of it, like I do (work profile, personal profile on the second screen at work). Probably need to give FF another shot.

dodint

dodint's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:42 pm

I'm not advocating for FF, they've certainly gotten some bloat. I *want* to like Chrome, but I just haven't been able to get past the UI. I took FF off of my machine and put Chrome on it at work to demonstrate that we don't need FF anymore so I can take it off of our network for other reasons and I still haven't warmed up to it. Combine that with Google's strong arm tactics on some stuff and I'm not ready to commit to them full time right now.

tifosi77

dodint's thread of IT

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:04 pm

Been full on Google since about a year after getting an Android phone.

dodint

dodint's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:06 pm

It would help if Android phone pictures went to GDrive instead of Google+ Albums. Decisions like that keep me from going full Google.

tifosi77

dodint's thread of IT

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:13 pm

I think they do now, don't they? 'Google Photos' or something, new thing they just started doing recently. I think the Google+ nonsense is how they did away with Picasa web galleries (you can still view and upload images to Picasa web galleries; all the photos I share in the cooking thread are from my old Picasa thing).

Maybe I'm not fully understanding how it works, tho.

dodint

dodint's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:16 pm

I started using Google Photo backup about two weeks ago (Concurrent with OneDrive) and Google Photos is part of your G+ 'tools.' It's actually called "Google Plus Photos" which is lame. I looked into whether it can go straight to GDrive and they said no.

tifosi77

dodint's thread of IT

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:21 pm

That's dumb. They don't bill it that way; it's just a folder in My Drive labeled 'Google Photos'. There's no Plus or anything.

I don't want to use Google+, because that's too much like Twitter, and Twitter is dumb.

Factorial

dodint's thread of IT

Postby Factorial » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:21 pm

Chrome is a memory hog, weird to hear people say that is a reason to take it over Firefox.
From my experience, Firefox is the biggest memory hog over time. I've worked on some very javascript intensive websites (no HTML outside of header tags and the referencing of external javascript libraries) and it would regularly eat up 1GB+ of ram, although chrome isn't much better. Believe it or not, ie11 was the best. I'm guessing that with ie they are able to tap into some core windows feature that allows for better memory management.

tifosi77

dodint's thread of IT

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:29 pm

One thing I don't know if I like or hate with Chrome is that every open tab and every extension installed to the browser is treated like its own discrete process. So it's not uncommon to have like 11 instances of chrome.exe *32 in your Task Manager even if you only have, like three tabs running.

dodint

dodint's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:15 pm

tifosi77

dodint's thread of IT

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:41 pm

Yesterday was 'Patch Tuesday' for Windows users. Instead of the usual 2 or 3 updates, my Win 7 Pro on my work laptop installed 29 updates and my Win 7 Home 64 install on my home PC installed 23 updates. This morning, I turned on my work laptop at 9:06 am..... it is now 9:39 and my screen still says 'Preparing to configure Windows. Do not turn off your cmputer.'

W t actual f?

schreibdog

dodint's thread of IT

Postby schreibdog » Wed May 13, 2015 1:12 pm

Didn't see an Android topic so I'll add it here. Did anyone get the software update to Android version 5 (lollipop)? Just applied it to my Galaxy S4 and wow does it look different.