NTP66's thread of IT

Lemon Berry Lobster

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:23 pm

I see Windows has a Remote Desktop Connection built in so I am going to play around with this at work. I'm looking into this stuff for work so we can host a server and stream our clients web cams so security will be a factor in this. Thanks for the information guys.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby iamjs » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:26 pm

We lost our MFP that usually sits outside of our office due to a project that requires a ****ton of scans. So we have two options: a printer down the hall that is always in use, or a printer that is practically on the other side of the building.

Tried to print an RMA tag for an item that is going back to Dell today, and the printer was out of paper from 9 to about 2:30ish. I wasn't refilling their paper tray (long story), so I eventually logged into our print server, deleted my print jobs and ended up walking to the furthest printer from my office to print this tag.

Petty behavior? Probably... ok, yes. Yes it is.
Is their printer still out of paper? Also yes.

AuthorTony

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:18 pm

My current desktop boots from a 100gb ssd. I'm constantly running out of space and want to switch out to a much larger drive. I've never changed the main drive before though and I'm wondering if it's something easy enough to do. I mean, I can install a new HD easy enough, but I'm unsure about getting Windows on it and making the PC boot from it.

dodint

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:20 pm

Why not just add a second drive and save your stuff to that?

My PC is like this:

256GB SSD for OS
128GB SSD for Gaming
750GT HDD for storage.

Your desktop likely has another SATA cable and an extra power connector. It would probably be plug and play if the drive is already formatted, if not you'd have to format it when you get into Windows after booting the first time.

I say that because you wouldn't have to migrate an OS or clone drives or anything.

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:30 pm

Cloning the drive would literally be the easiest possible solution.

AuthorTony

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:05 pm

I have a sh*t ton of exterior drives. I don't know why my main drive keeps filling up. Some of it has to do with Adobe Lightroom. I've managed to get most of those camera raw files to save to one of the externals, but when I import directly from the card is automatically saves them to the "pictures" folder. And one CF card sucks up 32gb of space. It's not bad when I remember to stay on top of it but...

My other reason is because I want to do a minor amount of video editing this winter. I'll need to install a firewire card to extract the old footage from MiniDV tapes. Do you know if importing to a new internal drive would give me sufficient speed? In previous attempts I'd always imported directly to the system drive. I'm probably overthinking things and it would work fine on a new internal drive.

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:12 pm

Any and all Lightroom work should really be done on an SSD. As for the importing, it sounds like you just need to go through the preferences again to make sure that you’re pointing it to the correct path. This is why I use a large SSD for my OS drive, and keep all of my LR data there, too. If you’ve got an insane amount of LR data, I’m not sure how a separate drive for LR/photos will help unless you start thinking about an SSD RAID array.

dodint

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:18 pm

Clone it then. That's not 'easier' than simply plugging in a new drive, but if the end result is having a bigger OS drive then yeah that will be the path of least resistance.

Have a backup solution.

AuthorTony

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:22 pm

Have a backup solution.
That sounds ominous...

Actually, I have very little on this HD that makes any difference. I'll back up my docs and it'll be good to go.

dodint

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:27 pm

It's just sound advice generally. Both solutions are easy.

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:35 pm

I couldn’t imagine not having a full backup (CrashPlan) of all of my digital data.

AuthorTony

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:31 pm

I couldn’t imagine not having a full backup (CrashPlan) of all of my digital data.
I actually have every photo I've taken since 2008 backed up to multiple drives. Whether some of the older ones still work is a mystery, but I tried. :lol:

Miami Vice

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby Miami Vice » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:41 am

my server stopped responding and now after a reset it will not post. monitor plugged directly into motherboard via vga. fried motherboard?

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:44 am

Are you getting power to the motherboard (LEDs or anything)? Any beeps at all? If your PSU is still functional and you're not getting any beeps, yes, it sounds like a bad motherboard.

columbia

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby columbia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:48 am

Excellent CFB reference

Miami Vice

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby Miami Vice » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:59 am

It looks and sounds like a normal bootup - fans start whirling, lights come on, hard drives spin up.

I wouldn't mind replacing it with something that consumes a touch less power. Rare Plex transcoding is really my only need for any CPU power. I have an AMD A10 in there simply because it was lying around. Fortunately unRAID seems to make that easy.

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:06 am

If it appears to start normally, just without video, are you able to connect to it remotely via another computer on your network? Or even ping it, at the very least?

Bad memory can cause a machine to not POST, but you should hear the trouble code beeps if you've got an internal speaker. If you're not actually hearing any POST beeps or anything, I think it's safe to say the the board is gone.

Miami Vice

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby Miami Vice » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:10 am

I don't think it ever beeped - I can't recall it beeping.

This is a headless machine and I couldn't find it on my network at all. Thats what clued me into the problem.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby meow » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:15 am

Ok IT nerds folks. My home WiFi is spotty in one room and damn near nonexistent in an adjacent room. What is the preferred method to remedy this IT problem?

Silentom

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby Silentom » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:18 am

Get a stronger router.

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:19 am

Ok IT nerds folks. My home WiFi is spotty in one room and damn near nonexistent in an adjacent room. What is the preferred method to remedy this IT problem?
What router do you currently have? You can relocate the router to a central location, though that's rarely an option. Depending on your current gear, you'll likely want to upgrade the router to something significantly better. Or, as some have been doing lately, upgrade to a 'wi-fi system', which most are referring to a mesh network. You basically replace your current router with the new mesh router, and install satellite routers around your house to get more coverage. These satellites don't need to be hardwired to the main router.

columbia

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby columbia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:20 am

You're too much of a players coach. Go all Cole on it and bench the router.

meow

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby meow » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:00 am

You're too much of a players coach. Go all Cole on it and bench the router.
The current router isn’t too chatty in interviews, though. His coverage sucks which is the real reason for his benching.

meow

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby meow » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:01 am

What router do you currently have? You can relocate the router to a central location, though that's rarely an option. Depending on your current gear, you'll likely want to upgrade the router to something significantly better. Or, as some have been doing lately, upgrade to a 'wi-fi system', which most are referring to a mesh network. You basically replace your current router with the new mesh router, and install satellite routers around your house to get more coverage. These satellites don't need to be hardwired to the main router.
My current router is somewhat centrally located, but on the second floor. The bad reception rooms are on the first floor and in a corner of the house. It is from like 2012, which I assume is bad...?

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:22 am

My current router is somewhat centrally located, but on the second floor. The bad reception rooms are on the first floor and in a corner of the house. It is from like 2012, which I assume is bad...?
2012 is ancient technology at this point. I'd still be interested to know the exact model router you have, out of curiosity alone. I'm a big supporter of ASUS routers, personally. I refuse to run anything but them, and use Merlin's custom firmware (likely overkill for you). Some options:

My current router, which is great for just about anyone:
ASUS RT-AC68U

Of, if you want to splurge on a more recent model with all the bells and whistles:
ASUS RT-AC88U

My AC-68U is located in my master bedroom (2nd floor corner), and I have zero issues with range. Full signal @ 2.4GHz in my basement, slightly less on 5GHz (because that band doesn't do as good a job penetrating walls/floors as 2.4GHz).