NTP66's thread of IT

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby count2infinity » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:05 pm

The iPad Pro plus the Logitech combo plus is incredible so far… and all I’ve really done so far is download apps and log in to everything. :lol: I love it.

DigitalGypsy66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:06 pm

So my mother in law’s PC issue was a weird one. She runs her PC through a regular ol’ power strip, and shuts off the strip when the PC isn’t in use. She doesn’t leave the PC on all the time.

So she would flip the power strip switch on, then presses the power button on the Dell desktop. It attempts to boot four times - with a POST beep. It then boots to a Dell BIOs error screen that says something about a date/time mismatch. If I click continue or exit, it will boot to Windows 10. I updated the BIOS, and repeated the process and it did the same thing - four POSTs, time mismatch error on the BIOS screen again. So I leave the power strip on, power up the PC and all is good. So I guess it’s some power management setting that updated? She says it’s been happening for a few weeks now, after owning the PC for 2+ years (not 2017 as I said earlier). So I told her to keep her power strip on at all times, and it’s been good for a day plus. Weird. The only thing that’s wrong is the clock didn’t update this morning (she called us at 9 am to report in lol), but it was only off a few minutes. She didn’t seem concerned with that, but we’ll keep an eye on it. I haven’t messed with Windows clock settings, so I’ll have to walk her through manually updating the time…which should be fun.

There was another issue with her PIN being deactivated from too many attempts, but I ended up removing the PIN and adding it back (as an aside, shouldn’t the PIN attempts too many go away after logging in with her Microsoft full password? It didn’t, but the PIN reset is working fine).

faftorial

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby faftorial » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:06 pm

Anyone following this:
A vulnerability in a widely used logging library has become a full-blown security meltdown, affecting digital systems across the internet. Hackers are already attempting to exploit it, but even as fixes emerge, researchers warn that the flaw could have serious repercussions worldwide.

The problem lies in Log4j, a ubiquitous, open source Apache logging framework that developers use to keep a record of activity within an application. Security responders are scrambling to patch the bug, which can be easily exploited to take control of vulnerable systems remotely. At the same time, hackers are actively scanning the internet for affected systems. Some have already developed tools that automatically attempt to exploit the bug, as well as worms that can spread independently from one vulnerable system to another under the right conditions.

Log4j is a Java library, and while the programming language is less popular with consumers these days, it's still in very broad use in enterprise systems and web apps. Researchers told WIRED on Friday that they expect many mainstream services will be affected.

This is running all over the internets. I think one of my company's software products is using this.

https://www.wired.com/story/log4j-flaw- ... -internet/

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:44 pm

Yep, it affects a lot. Pretty sure my online backup system, CrashPlan, also uses it.

nocera

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby nocera » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:03 am

My BiL got a notification on his phone that an AirTag was detected near him at his job. Didn't think much of it since he's a mechanic and in and out of other's cars all day. Today he realized that the tracker was also pinpointed at his home address. On the map, there's a solid line going from his home address to his shop. The pings at his shop are all dotted lines. I don't know anything about AirTags but he's assuming his phone is just screwing up. I'm way more paranoid than that and wouldn't just assume it's an error. Anybody have any AirTag experience?

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby iamjs » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:59 am

Anyone following this:
A vulnerability in a widely used logging library has become a full-blown security meltdown, affecting digital systems across the internet. Hackers are already attempting to exploit it, but even as fixes emerge, researchers warn that the flaw could have serious repercussions worldwide.

The problem lies in Log4j, a ubiquitous, open source Apache logging framework that developers use to keep a record of activity within an application. Security responders are scrambling to patch the bug, which can be easily exploited to take control of vulnerable systems remotely. At the same time, hackers are actively scanning the internet for affected systems. Some have already developed tools that automatically attempt to exploit the bug, as well as worms that can spread independently from one vulnerable system to another under the right conditions.

Log4j is a Java library, and while the programming language is less popular with consumers these days, it's still in very broad use in enterprise systems and web apps. Researchers told WIRED on Friday that they expect many mainstream services will be affected.

This is running all over the internets. I think one of my company's software products is using this.

https://www.wired.com/story/log4j-flaw- ... -internet/
We run ArcGIS at work and it uses Log4j. AFAIK, there was a patch released for it.

Gabe

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby Gabe » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:20 pm

Alright guys, help me out. Bought my daughter a new laptop for college with windows 11. Out of the box, the track pad is bizarre. If you try to move the cursor with the track pad on the desktop, it keeps selecting a box instead of just simply moving the cursor. Its like the right mouse button is clicked all the time. Any ideas?

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:20 am

My guess is that there is some sort of trackpad software installed, and that behavior is an enabled option. Check the system tray where the clock is to see if that’s the case. Something like Synaptics trackpad.

Gabe

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby Gabe » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:22 pm

after a long tech support chat with HP, it was determined that the computer had a faulty touchpad. Back to the store it went.

Lemon Berry Lobster

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:06 pm

Bought an ASUS PN41 mini PC for streaming. Device only boots into the BIOS. Went through support and need to send it in, yay.
Last edited by Lemon Berry Lobster on Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beveridge

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby Beveridge » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:35 pm

I only have one thought when it comes to anything HP...

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:37 pm

I like my wife’s HP Envy 17.

scb147

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby scb147 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:28 am

Initial impressions of the AX86U are good. The interface is identical to previous generation routers, which is great because Asus is second to none in that area, and it isn’t even close. Speed tests all look good on my gigabit WAN, and even though it’s kinda pointless, my PC is on the 2.5GB port on the router. Wireless seems nice and strong, too. The 5GHz wifi on my Vizio TV is connected at 700MB.
Things still going well with the AX86U? I'm thinking it's time to replace that ancient AC56U I have. I've read a few reviews that some experienced wifi drop outs, but not sure if that's environmental conditions, or an issue with the device itself

faftorial

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby faftorial » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:01 pm

Bought an ASUS PN41 mini PC for streaming. Device only boots into the BIOS. Went through support and need to send it in, yay.
What OS/software will you be using to stream?

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:25 pm

Initial impressions of the AX86U are good. The interface is identical to previous generation routers, which is great because Asus is second to none in that area, and it isn’t even close. Speed tests all look good on my gigabit WAN, and even though it’s kinda pointless, my PC is on the 2.5GB port on the router. Wireless seems nice and strong, too. The 5GHz wifi on my Vizio TV is connected at 700MB.
Things still going well with the AX86U? I'm thinking it's time to replace that ancient AC56U I have. I've read a few reviews that some experienced wifi drop outs, but not sure if that's environmental conditions, or an issue with the device itself
Yep, this has been flawless for me. I’d absolutely recommend it. Coverage is a little better with this compared to the AC68U, too.

scb147

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby scb147 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:31 pm

Yep, this has been flawless for me. I’d absolutely recommend it. Coverage is a little better with this compared to the AC68U, too.
Coverage is not an issue for me, as I live in a small townhouse. The AC56U has covered my place really well, so I would think either will meet my needs. But I also like to keep hardware as long as possible, so the AX86U is a good bet to future proof as long as possible. That $250 price tag though :(

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:49 am

Yeah, it’s a bit pricey, but this has all of the latest technology in it, so you should be able to get a king life out of it before you consider upgrading again. That’s pretty much how I viewed the purchase.

There’s only one right now, but you could also setup an alert on keepa.com for a refurb unit to save a few bucks. My previous two ASUS routers were refurbs, so I’m a fan of that route.

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:51 am

The extra port has come in really handy for me, as I have so many devices on Ethernet at my house. Moved my main machine to the 2.5GB port, freeing up a GB port.

scb147

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby scb147 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:23 am

The $12 difference for a refurb is not enough to sway me at the moment, haha. I also prefer hardwired connections, but I haven't ran any network cable. I use 1Gbps MoCA adapters and take advantage of the coax that is ran through my townhouse. Then I just have basic unmanaged 1Gbps switches where I have the MoCA adapters. They work well, as I've used them for at least 5 years now. I have my UnRAID mediaserver in the basement, where it's cooler, and my cable modem/router on the 2nd floor. I have my ShieldTV on the main floor, also connected with the MoCA adapters.

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:34 am

You are the only person other than myself that I know has used moca adapters at one point, haha.

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:35 pm

RIP to my first real gaming GPU. It has been relegated to my mom’s house for years, but lasted nearly 14 years.

faftorial

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby faftorial » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:59 pm

I still use my Sound Blaster mp3+ with stereo plugs from the early 2000's.

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:19 am

I have my very first GPU in a box in the basement - a Matrox Millenium G200. It has under 10MB of RAM, haha.

DigitalGypsy66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:59 am

Put them both on eBay. Seriously. Someone will want them. :lol:

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:00 am

*I* want it, that's why I kept it. :D