House Buying Thread

Kane

House Buying Thread

Postby Kane » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:54 pm

Gotta get it smooth like a park bench.

skullman80

House Buying Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:13 pm

We are going to look at a house before ours even goes up. Fun times lol.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

House Buying Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:19 am

I went through getting quotes from some local insurance companies, and then had a chat with a co-worker about a website called policygenius. Anyone ever use them? I'm getting pretty much identical coverage to the quotes I got from local people but for wayyyyyy less. Is there a catch here?

skullman80

House Buying Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:23 am

I went through getting quotes from some local insurance companies, and then had a chat with a co-worker about a website called policygenius. Anyone ever use them? I'm getting pretty much identical coverage to the quotes I got from local people but for wayyyyyy less. Is there a catch here?
For homeowners insurance? Can't say on that website, but we have our house and car insurance bundled through the same company and got some pretty big discounts because of that. Not sure if you have that option but something to look into.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

House Buying Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:07 am

For homeowners insurance? Can't say on that website, but we have our house and car insurance bundled through the same company and got some pretty big discounts because of that. Not sure if you have that option but something to look into.
Yeah. All of our quotes that we got to that point were bundles... our car insurance is currently through progressive. We got a home quote from them, and it was super cheap, but the coverage was pretty much a piece of paper that said "You haz insurance" written in crayon.

The quote we got through policygenius from Travelers was identical car coverage, and identical home coverage to what State Farm and Nationwide were offering through their agents here in town but for much, much cheaper.

skullman80

House Buying Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:15 am

Yeah. All of our quotes that we got to that point were bundles... our car insurance is currently through progressive. We got a home quote from them, and it was super cheap, but the coverage was pretty much a piece of paper that said "You haz insurance" written in crayon.

The quote we got through policygenius from Travelers was identical car coverage, and identical home coverage to what State Farm and Nationwide were offering through their agents here in town but for much, much cheaper.
I guess the only thing I'd make sure of is since you are going through a 3rd party site for set is... if you actually had to file a claim could you deal directly with State Farm or Nationwide or whoever, or would you have to do everything through policy genius as a middle man?

NTP66

House Buying Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:20 am

We use an insurance agent, and when I had to file a claim for our roof I went directly through the insurance company. We've had MetLife for a while now, and nobody has come close to how cheap they are, and they have been outstanding to work with for both house and car accident claims.

mac5155

House Buying Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:35 pm

We switched from nationwide to Erie when we moved into our new house and I haven't looked back. I ended up porting car insurance over, upping our auto maximums (at my agents suggestion, to help 'insulate' my house in case the worst happens), and adding our home with something like $300k structure and $150k personal property.. Way over what I need.. For LESS than we were paying per month for just auto through nationwide.

I really like Erie. The best part is they have the true replacement value of everything. Most other ones I looked at did not have that, and was based off initial value or some other measure.

I've since added life policies for both my wife and I and we are basically still a wash with their multi policy discounts.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

House Buying Thread

Postby meow » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:41 pm

I'll echo that. We have Erie for almost everything and I don't have a single complaint.

NTP66

House Buying Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:31 pm

We had Erie in the past, and liked them, but their rates were much higher than MetLife. Moral of the story: shop around.

tifosi77

House Buying Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:27 pm

We're Progressive auto and home bundled. Recommend.

DigitalGypsy66

House Buying Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:05 pm

We went back to USAA for everything last year, after Horace Mann increased all of our rates for some reason. USAA is a great company.

skullman80

House Buying Thread

Postby skullman80 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:17 pm

Houses we like are going in contract within a day or two of going up. Ours is going up this coming Friday. Pictures Tuesday. Just holding off even looking at houses till ours goes up.

mac5155

House Buying Thread

Postby mac5155 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:03 pm

Ended up with A full asking price offer on my grandmas old house. Thank God. Fingers crossed this all works out. The new buyer is set to close on a house Mar h 4th, and then using the proceeds from that sale on this house.

dodint

House Buying Thread

Postby dodint » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:06 pm

Congrats mac, bet that is a load off.

We're listing the Allison Park house around April. Hoping to get about $9k over what we paid three years ago. I figure modest improvements and inflation should get us there.

count2infinity

House Buying Thread

Postby count2infinity » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:10 pm

I looked at the price history of the place we're planning on buying. Our accepted offer is lower than the first asking price the original owners asked for in 2011... They must have really overvalued that place.

dodint

House Buying Thread

Postby dodint » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:17 pm

Our neighborhood turns over houses pretty quick. Maybe I can cash in on that Tom Hanks notoriety.

mac5155

House Buying Thread

Postby mac5155 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:28 pm

I looked at the price history of the place we're planning on buying. Our accepted offer is lower than the first asking price the original owners asked for in 2011... They must have really overvalued that place.
Probably mortgage crisis related?

count2infinity

House Buying Thread

Postby count2infinity » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:34 pm

Probably mortgage crisis related?
Doubt it. Didn’t hit this area that bad. Things stayed flat In the deep of it. So they didn’t plummet, just didn’t gain value.

skullman80

House Buying Thread

Postby skullman80 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:36 pm

Congrats mac, bet that is a load off.

We're listing the Allison Park house around April. Hoping to get about $9k over what we paid three years ago. I figure modest improvements and inflation should get us there.
We are looking to buy in the Allison park/shaler area but probably before April. Two houses we liked there both went under contract quick. One in like two days and one in like 10 days.

dodint

House Buying Thread

Postby dodint » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:39 pm

One on our street just went up. It is listed with Sotheby's, never seen that before. I always thought the folks that listed with Berkshire were the snobs. ;)

willeyeam

House Buying Thread

Postby willeyeam » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:47 am

Berkshire bought the biggest realty company around us here so pretty much everything is listed by them now. It's weird

Troy Loney

House Buying Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:50 am

Definitely only see sothebys on the mansions between Forbes and fifth. Berkshire seems like another Howard hanna

robbiestoupe

House Buying Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:19 am

Nah Berkshire is still snobbish. They overprice their houses imo. Howard Hanna's sell right away and BH's are on the market way too long.

NTP66

House Buying Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:20 am

I've seen more BH signs in my area than ever before. Used to be solely ReMax, but the tides are a shifting.