robbiestoupe

House Buying Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu May 13, 2021 8:22 am

Dammit NTP, don’t you sucker me in again

NTP66

House Buying Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 13, 2021 8:24 am

:lol:

I don't think my wife would want to go through it again, so it probably won't happen.

NTP66

House Buying Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 14, 2021 10:07 am

@robbiestoupe: My parents refinanced through Better, as well. The Money Source told her that her mortgage was sold to Mr. Cooper, but she just received a letter in the mail stating that SunTrust owns her mortgage. So now she has to contact all three to figure out WTF is going on. Should be interesting if both SunTrust and Mr. Cooper say they own the mortgage.

robbiestoupe

House Buying Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri May 14, 2021 10:14 am

Better is really showing how wet behind the ears they are. Perhaps over time they'll be better, but you can tell they aren't a well oiled machine.

I did go on their website yesterday to see if they sold HELOCs, but no dice. May have looked into it for the kitchen remodel.

NTP66

House Buying Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 14, 2021 1:59 pm

A family friend just put their house up for sale, $80-$120k over what every site says it's worth. That's not the funny part to me, however. Even on the low end, it's a $700k house. He's doing FSBO because he's a cheap ****. :lol:

NTP66

House Buying Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 21, 2021 10:32 am

My parents finally got to the bottom of their mortgage conundrum. Mr. Cooper bought her mortgage from Better.com after the refinance, and immediately sold it to Sun Trust. Apparently that happens, but it's not too frequent. My guess is that they have some sort of quota to ship off mortgages to stay under a threshold, and theirs was in this batch. At least she knows who she has to send the payments to now.

Dickie Dunn

House Buying Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri May 21, 2021 11:03 am

Mortgage buying is rarely not comedically stupid. When our neighbor built they got their mortgage through NVR, which was then sold to Wells Fargo. When they refinanced last summer the rate offered by Wells Fargo was awful, marginally better than what they already had, and WF was uninterested in negotiating. Ended up shopping around some and got the best rate again from NVR. About a month later they got their first statement in the mail and were stunned to see that the mortgage was again sold to Wells Fargo.

NTP66

House Buying Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 21, 2021 11:05 am

Obligatory **** Wells Fargo right in the ass.

RonnieFranchise

House Buying Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun May 30, 2021 2:26 pm

Went to get prom pictures at Middle Franchise’s GF’s parents house in a new upscale subdivision. First we had been there. Now Mrs. Franchise has the itch to build a new house at probably one of the worst times, expense and supply availability wise, in human history to do so :scared: :scared: :scared:

Dickie Dunn

House Buying Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun May 30, 2021 3:04 pm

Rates are still low....

Development going in by us started last year at “Low 330s”. Last week their sign changed to “Low 400s”. That’s a hell of a change in 12 months.

NTP66

House Buying Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:38 pm

This is just bonkers.

skullman80

House Buying Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:24 pm

We closed on our house one year ago today. Offered off of a zoom walkthrough. Crazy.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

House Buying Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:18 am

Our neighborhood is kind of an interesting little development... it was largely built in the 90s. I'd say roughly 80% of the homes are still occupied by the original owners, many of whom are retired or nearing in on it. I'd say we're unique in the neighborhood of being the 3rd owners of a home.

Anyways, houses are starting to go up for sale. I know the one from last fall was a lady looking to just move to the beach, and one just opened up across the way. Retired couple again. I never see them in the winter, so they're probably heading south for their remaining years. I'm hoping it's young people with kids, but the house is tiny so it'll probably be another old couple moving in.

I'm curious to see what this place sells for, as we're nearing the bubble popping on expensive housing. These crazy numbers can't last forever.

robbiestoupe

House Buying Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:23 am

Our neighborhood is kind of an interesting little development... it was largely built in the 90s. I'd say roughly 80% of the homes are still occupied by the original owners, many of whom are retired or nearing in on it. I'd say we're unique in the neighborhood of being the 3rd owners of a home.

Anyways, houses are starting to go up for sale. I know the one from last fall was a lady looking to just move to the beach, and one just opened up across the way. Retired couple again. I never see them in the winter, so they're probably heading south for their remaining years. I'm hoping it's young people with kids, but the house is tiny so it'll probably be another old couple moving in.

I'm curious to see what this place sells for, as we're nearing the bubble popping on expensive housing. These crazy numbers can't last forever.
Sounds like my neighborhood. Our street was all built in the late 90's, so there's a mix of OGs and 2nd timers like us. Probably a couple 3rd timers in there as well. A family just moved in across the street from us with 3 kids the same age as our kids. Haven't met them yet. Another house sold two houses down from them, and another 3 houses down from that. Then there are 1-2 houses up the street that just had people move in, but not sure who is occupying those.

It's cool that our kids will have more than just the 2 sets of families to choose from to play with now.

Houses sold for stupid money too. The one across the street sold for 10% over ask. Our house is now worth approximately 30% more than when we bought 6 years ago. I fully expect it to decline at some point, but the rocket ship already has us in outer space, and that's where it will stay.

NTP66

House Buying Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:30 am

Two more houses in my area are now pending, for sale prices $30-50k higher than what multiple sites say they're worth. Both are older couples, so we're hoping that more families move in, as well.

nocera

House Buying Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:42 am

Last two posts are spoken like folks who have children themselves. Give me the old neighbors. They stay inside, they keep their **** tidy, and best of all they're quiet and rarely bother you for anything.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

House Buying Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:45 am

Source of the post rarely bother you for anything.
As a strapping young lad, I can tell you this is 100% false. My old timey neighbors ask for my muscles all the time.

nocera

House Buying Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:50 am

Source of the post rarely bother you for anything.
As a strapping young lad, I can tell you this is 100% false. My old timey neighbors ask for my muscles all the time.
I feel like you're insinuating that I'm neither strapping nor a young lad. I have a few old neighbors who I hardly ever see outside of the house. I did help one carry her groceries into her house once. That's the extend of my muscle help.

dodint

House Buying Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:53 am

Last two posts are spoken like folks who have children themselves. Give me the old neighbors. They stay inside, they keep their **** tidy, and best of all they're quiet and rarely bother you for anything.
I'm hoping this housing bubble bursts immediately because my neighbor retired and wants to move down south. We really want to buy the property and use it as an office and guest house. If they were to throw up a For Sale sign this week I'm not sure we could compete. The secondary reason for wanting it so bad is exactly what you said, it would mean we would never have any neighbors on that side, let alone ones with kids. We already have that problem on the other side.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

House Buying Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:12 am

I'm hoping this housing bubble bursts immediately because my neighbor retired and wants to move down south. We really want to buy the property and use it as an office and guest house. If they were to throw up a For Sale sign this week I'm not sure we could compete. The secondary reason for wanting it so bad is exactly what you said, it would mean we would never have any neighbors on that side, let alone ones with kids. We already have that problem on the other side.
That's the primary reason I want to sell. I can't stand the little bastards behind me. They're probably the only kids within a 10 house radius of me, and they are the absolute worst. The male creator (calling him this because he's no type of parent, father, or dad to them) is never around, so he leaves his little destructive creations to do whatever they want while he's out doing whatever. They broke my garage door window months after I moved in, they threw rocks and broke another neighbor's window and massively dented the next neighbor's car door. They tore up plenty of yards on their quad and busted up other people's yard ornaments. Police have been down there multiple times already this summer, and according to the neighbors they can't do anything because they are under 18.

I'm openly rooting for them to be abducted by aliens so we never have to see them again. He was trying to sell his place in I think 2019, but I didn't exactly have $150k in spare change lying around.

robbiestoupe

House Buying Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:18 am

I want the families with kids because it will help keep my lawn from being in the bottom 3 on the street. All these retired people spend all their time manicuring, and it sickens me.

dodint

House Buying Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:24 am

Luckily our problem is mostly noise. It's an older guy whose wife died about two years ago. But he already has the new woman, who I assume was the sidepiece, shacked up with him. They have an in-ground pool with a giant sound system. This attracts the extended family and hangers-on who show up nearly every sunny day. He comes out in the morning and turns on the sound system, which is connected to an FM radio. So it blasts about 20 minutes of music per hour, and the rest of the time it is insurance commercials and Matt Mertz Plumbing ads. Then the kids feel like they can't be heard, so they scream over it for hours at a time. My office is about 70 feet from all of this. My wife has to wear noise-canceling headphones while she studies in the next room.

He says he's going to sell in the next two years but we have no desire to own that house. Hopefully, the new people are better. Either way, we're going to plant a big thick row of trees the entire length of the property to act as a noise break.

NTP66

House Buying Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:28 am

I can send you some music if you'd like to give them a taste of their own medicine...

Morkle

House Buying Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:40 am

Is the housing thing really going to even pop? We had trouble jumping on houses almost 6 years ago because people were making stupid offers. It's gotten worse, sure, but I don't know if we'll ever bottom out here in Pittsburgh. Even our first house, we had to buy it basically on the spot in 2011, and we sold it in under 3 hours and that was back in 2014/2015.

robbiestoupe

House Buying Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:28 am

Is the housing thing really going to even pop? We had trouble jumping on houses almost 6 years ago because people were making stupid offers. It's gotten worse, sure, but I don't know if we'll ever bottom out here in Pittsburgh. Even our first house, we had to buy it basically on the spot in 2011, and we sold it in under 3 hours and that was back in 2014/2015.
Most likely there will be a small period of decline, but not enough to correct for the major uptick recently. Also depends on the area you live in. I lived in North Versailles for 10 years. Bought in 2005 and sold in 2015. The value dropped almost 10% in that time, even though the house was in good shape. Buying at a peak and selling in a valley will do that.