House Buying Thread

DigitalGypsy66

House Buying Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu May 19, 2022 11:58 am

Home inspection was Tuesday, and although we don't have the report from the buyer, our agent called and got the broad strokes.

Leaky master shower (under the house) was a major concern, but we've never noticed anything inside and we have our termite bond serviced 2x a year and they've never mentioned it. Hopefully, it's a loose pipe.

Nail pops on some of the walls, which are mostly cosmetic in nature. Soft support beam on shitty deck, but probably not something I would replace.

Footers under the house were crooked, but I'm not sure what that means. My agent wasn't concerned about it, as it might be something a contractor has to look at and say it's within tolerances.

Again, the other agent is new and missed the deadline on the contract to get the repair requests back to us...so technically, we don't have to do any of the repairs. But we're not dadholes, so we'll do the biggies.

Confirmed the moving company today. Things are moving along.

DigitalGypsy66

House Buying Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun May 22, 2022 8:28 am

Got the actual repair request Friday afternoon, and it's not horrendous. Inspector found 14 items, buyers only want 6 fixed. Most are straightforward, and our realtor says the report is very clean. He's handling the contractor that will do the work, and moving up the termite inspection, as the buyers want to close on June 1st.

We'll lease the house back from them until our new house closes the end of June. I guess we'll keep our utilities in our name until then? I think that's how it works. :lol:

tifosi77

House Buying Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 24, 2022 12:23 pm

That's good news on the inspection front. But what a bummer about rent-back. It's an added hassle to deal with (Short-term renters insurance! Entry rights! Maintenance! Rent and deposits!), but necessary given the situation.

DigitalGypsy66

House Buying Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 24, 2022 3:42 pm

CL100 termite/wood infestation report was clean, so check something else off the list. Closing is indeed on Tuesday the 31st. They are moving fast!

Our agent says rentbacks are pretty common these days. He's working on that with the buyer's agent. The new buyers may want to do another walk through before they sign though, which is fine. Just have make sure the kids flushed the toilet, etc. :lol:

robbiestoupe

House Buying Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed May 25, 2022 11:41 am

Guess this could go into several other threads, but I'll put it here. Home owners insurance went up 38% from last year. Called AllState to ask why, and they said dwelling cost went up due to inflation and they changed their rates. Didn't explain which had more of an effect, nor could they force the old dwelling replacement cost into the calculator to figure it out.

They're coming out to look at our roof today to see if insurance will cover anything. Regardless if they pay for the whole thing or outright reject our claim, we are done with them. Inflation didn't go up 38%, sorry.

NTP66

House Buying Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 25, 2022 11:44 am

Huge fan of MetLife here...

robbiestoupe

House Buying Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed May 25, 2022 11:57 am

We get a company discount with them (Farmers now, correct?). I tried to get a quote online, but they no quoted bc our roof is too old. I'm going to get the roof replaced regardless, then jump ship.

NTP66

House Buying Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 25, 2022 1:20 pm

We get a company discount with them (Farmers now, correct?). I tried to get a quote online, but they no quoted bc our roof is too old. I'm going to get the roof replaced regardless, then jump ship.
Yep, they're Farmers now. We switched from their GrandProtect insurance to their newer Met360 insurance. Long story short, it was $435 cheaper with effectively the same exact coverage.

And like I mentioned before, going through auto and home claims with them was absolutely painless.

DigitalGypsy66

House Buying Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 31, 2022 1:05 pm

Closed on our current house this morning. Now officially renting it back until June 24th. Renter's insurance is $14 lol. Good ol' USAA. :lol:

Not without issues, of course. The contractor was there all day yesterday going through the very modest repair request from the buyers. It looks like he bumped the drain line out of place on our minisplit unit, sending water dripping on the floor. One of the requests was to re-wrap the insulation around the copper tubing from the outside unit. It's such a small unit, any kind of movement would have knocked out the drain line. I think. I tried fixing it, but to no avail. He's coming back to take a look at it, and hopefully he knows what's up. I thought the drain line was clean, but nothing was coming out of the PVC outside.

Our house has had unending issues with HVAC since moving into it in 2007. Very fitting that the last full day of ownership is filled with a leaky A/C unit.
:face:

NTP66

House Buying Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 31, 2022 1:23 pm

Not no mo

DigitalGypsy66

House Buying Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 31, 2022 1:58 pm

Very true lol

robbiestoupe

House Buying Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue May 31, 2022 2:13 pm

Yep, they're Farmers now. We switched from their GrandProtect insurance to their newer Met360 insurance. Long story short, it was $435 cheaper with effectively the same exact coverage.

And like I mentioned before, going through auto and home claims with them was absolutely painless.
They must pass all their pain onto potential new customers.

Did the online quote thing, and twice the system got all confused when I tried to do a custom package. One of those times it required online chat to reset the form or something. Finally made it through with a quote, but wanted to talk it over with the mrs. before I pulled the trigger.

Went to go through with the change today, and once again the online system is confused. Tried calling but they said I needed to call online assistance. Called that number, went through the options (stupid voice commands suck), and I'm taken right back to the first number I called.

Fine, I'll do the online chat again. All agents are busy.

This will end up saving me $750 a year, so I'm going to go through with it. I just hope you're right and any claims are easier than this.

NTP66

House Buying Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 31, 2022 2:15 pm

They must pass all their pain onto potential new customers.

Did the online quote thing, and twice the system got all confused when I tried to do a custom package. One of those times it required online chat to reset the form or something. Finally made it through with a quote, but wanted to talk it over with the mrs. before I pulled the trigger.

Went to go through with the change today, and once again the online system is confused. Tried calling but they said I needed to call online assistance. Called that number, went through the options (stupid voice commands suck), and I'm taken right back to the first number I called.

Fine, I'll do the online chat again. All agents are busy.

This will end up saving me $750 a year, so I'm going to go through with it. I just hope you're right and any claims are easier than this.
Oof, that sucks... but that savings is worth it. And yes, claims is totally different. I had a single person assigned to both cases, with which I was in regular contact with. They really have been great.

FWIW, we go through an insurance agent, so I've never had to deal directly with the companies for quotes, etc. Doesn't cost us a dime, which is even better.

DigitalGypsy66

House Buying Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:00 am

Got yet another request from our mortgage lender about pay stubs, employment status, and so on. Our agent says this is all perfectly normal, even for people with 20+ years of unmissed mortgage payments and 820+ credit scores.

But I've uploaded 3 sets of pay statements already in under 2 months. Previous employer, plus current employer. I get it. Fine.

But because my wife is a teacher and will continue to get paid by her now former school district until the end of July, we were asked to get a remote/work from home approval from her old district. Are these people living in a cave? Teachers work 190 days, and have summers off. But get paid over a 12 month period. Why does she need to get approval to collect paychecks for another month remotely? :lol:

CBear3

House Buying Thread

Postby CBear3 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:02 am

Seems like another example of somebody checking boxes brainlessly.

NTP66

House Buying Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:06 am

Wait, your lender is requesting that work from home approval letter? If so, why? That makes zero sense, and I have never heard of this before.

mac5155

House Buying Thread

Postby mac5155 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:08 pm

It's probably the underwriter. Our underwriter had a big snafu over an overdraft charge on our checking account. I had written a big check and didn't transfer money timely. Instead the lender scrapped the entire checking account statements (cash flow of like $7k a month) for my savings account that I tuck $700 a month in and hadn't touched in 18 months. Yes, because the latter is more representative of my money management than the former.

NTP66

House Buying Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:38 pm

Money is one thing, but permission to work from home? Get **** with that nonsense.

DigitalGypsy66

House Buying Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:01 pm

Yeah, it's the underwriter. The issue is my wife's official employer is 90+ miles away from the home we're buying...except she's done with work there as off last Friday. But she doesn't start her new teaching position until August 1st. So they are nervous about the "employment gap" that doesn't really exist.

I also got asked - again - for another bank statement showing the earnest money being debited from our account. I mean you have a record of receiving it, why do you need to see it actually leaving our bank account? It's weird.

I can't imagine the hoops people have to go through with legit credit or employment issues.

NTP66

House Buying Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:45 pm

What rinky dink dipshit bank is this? So the rest of us can avoid them.

DigitalGypsy66

House Buying Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:41 pm

It's actually DHI Mortgage, which is owned by the builder. Not sure who will actually service the mortgage yet though, as it will be sold after closing. Got $5000 off closing for using them, and got a better rate than our bank and Bettor was offering at the time. I'll put up with the inane questions for that savings :lol:

DigitalGypsy66

House Buying Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:03 pm

So now we're getting mail (bills!) and priority overnight packages from the owner of our house, despite us paying rent for the entire month. Are people dumb?

MrKennethTKangaroo

House Buying Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:08 pm

So now we're getting mail (bills!) and priority overnight packages from the owner of our house, despite us paying rent for the entire month. Are people dumb?
The last owner of our house was slow to change addresses. As a result, we received

A pair of designer sweatpants
A guy who came to blow leaves off the roof
A guy to aerate the lawn
A chewy box

robbiestoupe

House Buying Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:32 pm

We still get mail from the former owners - we moved in 7 years ago. Some of the stuff looks official, but it all goes in the trash. We had no forwarding address, so what are we to do anyway?

nocera

House Buying Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:10 am

We still get mail from the former owners - we moved in 7 years ago. Some of the stuff looks official, but it all goes in the trash. We had no forwarding address, so what are we to do anyway?
Same here. We used to write "No longer at this address" and put it back in the box but that didn't stop the mail from coming so now it goes right in the trash.