Today's Harassment Claims

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:50 am

More on West Hollywood mayor John Duran and the selective application of #metoo.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la- ... story.html
But now, amid new allegations of sexual harassment against Duran by members of the Gay Men’s Chorus of Los Angeles, some West Hollywood residents and politicians are saying enough is enough and that times have changed. Three of the city’s five council members have called on Duran to resign, saying he has become a distraction.

Protesters are planning to converge on the City Council meeting Tuesday to call for Duran’s ouster and seek action in another scandal: the recent deaths of two gay black men in the West Hollywood apartment of Ed Buck, a white, wealthy Democratic donor and LGBTQ activist. For several years, Duran worked as an attorney for Buck.

Last week, Robert Oliver resigned as vice chair of the city’s Public Safety Commission in protest after other commissioners declined to condemn Duran.

“It is time that the #MeToo movement comes to West Hollywood,” he said.

Duran, 59, has refused to step down, describing himself as a proudly sensual gay man who lived through a sexual revolution colliding against a prudish #MeToo movement that’s too quick to judge. Bawdiness is just part of who he’s always been, Duran said, and he’s not going to change now.

“There’s a culture clash going on,” the mayor said. “If somebody expresses himself or herself sexually, that doesn’t make it harassment, per se.”

“People are thinking that anything sexual is harassment because somebody feels it is unwelcome, but you have to open your mouth and say, ‘No, I don’t want this.’ … Otherwise, how are any of us able to navigate the sexual politics of 2019? I just think there are bigger, more complex issues at play, that everyone needs to take a timeout and slow down. It can’t be accusation equals guilt.”

Three current or former members of the Gay Men’s Chorus have accused Duran, the longtime board chairman, of crude sexual comments and engaging in unwanted touching.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:59 am

Not harassment per se but someone tweeted about a John Wayne interview from the 70s and as you can guess Wayne said some insensitive stuff

I don't use social media but I'm upset that I ever found out that this is a "trending" thing. Such a waste of time but apparently digging up graves is something people do now

https://twitter.com/pixelpreaching/stat ... 52641?s=20

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:11 pm

... cause I give a flying **** what Matt Williams thinks... - *John Wayne's ghost*

Matt... you're bald. Accept it. Being mad at the world isn't going to grow you hair.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:07 pm

Such old news too. This came up in 2016 when they wanted to have a "John Wayne Day."

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:42 pm

Not harassment per se but someone tweeted about a John Wayne interview from the 70s and as you can guess Wayne said some insensitive stuff

I don't use social media but I'm upset that I ever found out that this is a "trending" thing. Such a waste of time but apparently digging up graves is something people do now

What’s your issue, exactly? I’ve never heard of this. I’m glad I have. The skeleton that used to be attached to his dumb brain doesn’t have feelings anymore. I think you can sleep tonight.

If anyone takes this as a chance to harass his living family, that’s wrong. If he ever showed significant contrition, this is a gray area. But pointing out the faults of people that have been falsely idolized and are still idolized is still at least a smidge important, I think.

And “Insensitive” is a heck of a whitewash, I’d say.

And you’re on social media right now, fella.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:53 pm

Shocked! Shocked I am to discover that a man born in 1907 and who was already in his 60s when interviewed in 1971 did not have progressive, post-millennial opinions about race and sexual orientation. I am also shocked to discover that bears crap in the woods.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:58 pm

Shocked! Shocked I am to discover that a man born in 1907 and who was already in his 60s when interviewed in 1971 did not have progressive, post-millennial opinions about race and sexual orientation. I am also shocked to discover that bears crap in the woods.
You might want to sit down for this one, but whales, in fact, crap in salt water.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:08 pm

You might want to sit down for this one, but whales, in fact, crap in salt water.
:o

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:20 pm

Ok.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:21 pm

We should probably ban his films and exhume his body and burn it.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:25 pm

All old people were racist and homophobic back in '71...
No, they really weren't...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:14 pm

MIMH. I apologize for being short with you. We are all on our journey. I wish you well.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:17 pm

MIMH. I apologize for being short with you.
Low blow.

:lol:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:17 pm

What’s your issue, exactly? I’ve never heard of this. I’m glad I have. The skeleton that used to be attached to his dumb brain doesn’t have feelings anymore. I think you can sleep tonight.

If anyone takes this as a chance to harass his living family, that’s wrong. If he ever showed significant contrition, this is a gray area. But pointing out the faults of people that have been falsely idolized and are still idolized is still at least a smidge important, I think.

And “Insensitive” is a heck of a whitewash, I’d say.

And you’re on social media right now, fella.
I don't enjoy modern political discussion and this is a major example of why. The hammer falls hard on those that people on the internet decide they don't like something that someone said at some point. What happened to Liam Neeson is another good example. Human beings and their thoughts, views etc are complicated but it doesn't matter anymore. Both sides of the aisle are making it "if you're not with us, you're against us"

Is there anyone that's surprised that Wayne holds these opinions? Did anyone think he was going to be a civil rights activist?

I'll admit I have an issue too where when I hear about a story like this, I can't help but browse twitter (I don't even have an account) and get angry about everyone's views. My life improved when I deleted my Facebook app and I wish I had enough willpower to keep off all these wretched shitholes

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:18 pm

MIMH. I apologize for being short with you.
Low blow.

:lol:
A tiny bit of humility is good.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:31 pm

I don't enjoy modern political discussion and this is a major example of why. The hammer falls hard on those that people on the internet decide they don't like something that someone said at some point. What happened to Liam Neeson is another good example. Human beings and their thoughts, views etc are complicated but it doesn't matter anymore. Both sides of the aisle are making it "if you're not with us, you're against us"

Is there anyone that's surprised that Wayne holds these opinions? Did anyone think he was going to be a civil rights activist?

I'll admit I have an issue too where when I hear about a story like this, I can't help but browse twitter (I don't even have an account) and get angry about everyone's views. My life improved when I deleted my Facebook app and I wish I had enough willpower to keep off all these wretched shitholes
https://twitter.com/RobbySlowik/status/ ... 2465746950

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:08 pm

Yeah, wtf? Hateful people are what they are, regardless of era.

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:13 pm

The Liam neeson backlash is silly.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:24 pm

The Liam neeson backlash is silly.
Yeah. I can't say I would think differently (in that moment) if something similar happened to a close friend or loved one. I don't think any of us can be certain until it does.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:35 pm

Yeah, wtf? Hateful people are what they are, regardless of era.
MIMH has some other stuff going on, but this entire exchange is simply a disagreement about where the demarcation point is for moral relativism.

John Wayne in 1700? Not a story. John Wayne in 2019? Certainly a story. 1970? There are dissenting opinions.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:44 pm

I just don't get looking for trouble. And by trouble, I mean, looking for a surly, dead man's thoughts from 40 years ago...what purpose does it serve...?

"Yeah, well, Thomas Jefferson owned slaves!!!"

So, I've heard...do you really find it healthy to keep reminding yourself, the downtrodden (or those who act downtrodden on another's behalf), of that unchangeable fact...?

If the claim on the latter is education...ok, in a measured sense, that is acceptable...in the former, it has no visible application...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm

The #metoo spray painted on that statue. Good lord. So a lot of feminists (and soyboys) think that sailor was LITERALLY raping that nurse when he kissed her to celebrate VJ Day. Maybe he should have stopped and affirmed her consent in written form.

The ironic thing about most of those hardcore folks is that most of them are hamplanets that most men wouldn't go near.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:56 pm

I still love the shafs ham-based nomenclature. Gets me every time.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:03 pm

I also chuckled at that...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:04 pm

They should watch the Burns WWII documentary and hear the civilian women recounting their tales of walking around, say, Mobile AL on V-E Day when a train load full of GIs rolled through.