Stranger Things Thread (Spoilers included)

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:13 am

I thought Episode 7 was good to flesh out the Eleven character as well as give her a sort of redemption story to get back to Hawkins after getting angry and leaving.

Gabe

Postby Gabe » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:48 am

Just finished S2 last night. My thought is that the producers are using the glimpse into the Eight story arc as a long play. At least I hope. We get a glimpse now and then as the story progresses, she becomes more of a central piece to the plot. Just my theory, but Eight's whole game is about seeking revenge on those that did her wrong. I'm sure she is going to feel some resentment over Eleven bailing on her. Does she show up later in Hawkins looking to settle the score?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:08 pm

i like 8. i liked the intent of episode 7 my legit only issue is the cartoon characters.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:40 pm

Same.

Gabe

Postby Gabe » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:44 pm

Indeed. The rest of the crew was lame. lame dialog acted out by lame actors.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:55 pm

i've seen this described as an homage to The Warriors. which is...unwelcome.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:07 pm

i've seen this described as an homage to The Warriors. which is...unwelcome.
more like a bad troma movie

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:44 pm

I could see a Season 3 which has a throwdown between 8 and 11, which wouldn't be bad.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:03 pm

https://twitter.com/sesamestreet/status ... 6774382592

A Stranger Things Sesame Street parody... :lol:

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:14 pm

Finished S2 last night. Feel like I could've watched the first and last two episodes and not missed out on anything, except Bob, that is.

Still give it a 7/10. I might've liked S2 more than S1.

I'm probably letting Stern get to me in an unfair way, but Millie Bobby Brown has the least to do in terms of acting effort out of the entire cast. I don't know if she's a good actress or not because she isn't given a lot to do other than stand there and bleed from the face while uttering monosyllabic kindergarten English. Any idea that she's the headliner of this thing is misplaced.

The redhead looks disturbingly a lot like a young Lindsay Lohan which makes me sad.

Dustin is somehow regressing as a character.

We'll probably watch S3. It's venturing into the territory of 'when bad **** keeps happening to you and you don't leave it's your fault" so it's going to be hard to stay interested if it's another 'goblin attacks Hawkins' story for S3. But 8 v. 11 won't be worth a watch either.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:20 pm

I give MBB credit for a decent American accent versus her natural British accent. In that regard, she's better than Kevin Costner from Robin Hood.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:22 pm

The booger NAN had for breakfast is better than Kevin **** Costner.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:26 pm

I give MBB credit for a decent American accent versus her natural British accent. In that regard, she's better than Kevin Costner from Robin Hood.
Yeah. I don't think she has a lot to work with with this material, hopefully now that her character has the paperwork to integrate into society they'll give her more to do.
Last edited by dodint on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:26 pm

Dustin is regressing as a character?

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:44 pm

Dustin is regressing as a character?
If @dodint was referring to Dustin as formerly being a smart kid who knew the pitfalls of the D&D type happenings, but then this season thought it would be a good idea to keep and protect Dart, then I agree with dodint.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:50 pm

That's part of it.

The other being that he seemed to use logic and argument to convince adults of something. Now he just quickly speaks a one-liner and tacks a soft swear word to the end to seem edgy. That's either cutting corners in writing or writing puberty/coming of age very well, I honestly don't know. They really turned Mike into a brooding dadhole so the latter is certainly possible. Either way Dustin is less interesting as a character, to me, this time around.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:12 pm

Dustin was more broad this year, which means less grounded in reality. Being a geek in middle school generally means you don't know exactly the right thing to say at all times. These kids aren't geeks. Dustin, especially. He would be the funny fat guy at the cool kids table.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:21 pm

Dustin was more broad this year, which means less grounded in reality. Being a geek in middle school generally means you don't know exactly the right thing to say at all times. These kids aren't geeks. Dustin, especially. He would be the funny fat guy at the cool kids table.
They play a lot of D&D so there's definitely some level of geek there.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:29 pm

Source of the post These kids aren't geeks. Dustin, especially. He would be the funny fat guy at the cool kids table.
Being that Steve has taken Dustin under his wing, perhaps that is his story arc after all.

I liked Season 2 as much as 1. Episode 7 was just misplaced IMO. If they had started out the season with it, it wouldn't have ruined the flow of the season. If the only reason for the episode was a way for 11 to change her mind, then it could have been handled in a better way. I do get the feeling they are setting up further interaction between 8 and 11 in future seasons.

I'm with dodint in regards to "if you don't leave it's your fault." It's also time to stop picking on Will. Poor kid is going to have some serious psychological issues the rest of his life.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:40 pm

I liked that the writers acknowledged that as a possibility when Bob tried to take them to Maine. But then they killed them in a really dumb way*. :lol:

*let me stop here and catch my breath 10 feet from safety, I'm sure I'll be okay!

Why they gotta do Rudy like that?

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:49 pm

Well, if you were seeing him as Rudy, does it surprise you that a ND puffball would do such a thing? Seeing him as Samwise made it much worse for me.

I kept thinking Bob was going to turn out to be a mad scientist or working with the smoke monster. To hear he was the founding member of the A/V club was a bummer.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:52 pm

I didn't realize he was one of the Goonies kids until after the show was over. Was avoiding spoilers and didn't want to search out his IMDB page too early. Glad I didn't as I legit didn't see his death coming until they foreshadowed it with him leaving the pistol behind.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:11 pm

They play a lot of D&D so there's definitely some level of geek there.
the issue (if there really is one...probably not) is that D&D kids aren't cool, in a traditional sense. so aside from will being small and dustin looking funny, these kids are cool. they're funny, mature, confident, expert bike riders. they aren't jocks. that's the only thing holding them back from ruling hawkins middle school.

...which is inauthentic to the point where it's aaaaaalmost too much. but not yet. it's still super duper.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:14 pm

With the bullies only showing up in the trick or treat episode it does have that feel.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:18 pm

What about the bullies from season 1 calling him toothless? I mean their best friend outside of each other is a science teacher. What more do you want? :lol: