Stranger Things Thread (Spoilers included)

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:25 pm

I am creating this thread because you MFers are throwing a ton of ST stuff into the TV thread, bordering on spoiling stuff with the vague episode recaps. I think it's probably earned its own thread at this point.

I'm four episodes in and business just picked up like crazy. Now, I will promptly not read this thread until we finish watching it. :lol:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Bob dies

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Steve's hair is amazing.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:47 pm

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:48 pm

Just started season 2. Loved season 1 and haven't had time to start this one yet

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:50 pm

Major T2 reference in E9.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:02 am

Grrrrrrrr.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:41 am

Why are we spoilering? That's for the TV thread.

Stray thoughts...
- the girl who played max was just so bad. It's hard to keep up with the other child actors, I guess. But if she can't get there, at least have here stop making the slouched down head up bug eye quizzical stare face.
-episode 7...I liked the story. I liked her sister. I liked a lot of it. But those side characters...really really bad. Unforgivably bad, actually. I guess they were going for something interesting by over stylizing and piping in cheesy dialogue, but it sucked. Really bad. No issues with leaving Hawkins or focusing just on 11 though.

That's the list of cons. Pros coming...

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:47 am

Did anyone else see the opening shot of Season 2 and say "wait a minute, I think thats Pittsburgh?"

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:47 am

I thought Sadie Sink was terrific.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:49 am

Did anyone else see the opening shot of Season 2 and say "wait a minute, I think thats Pittsburgh?"
I thought so right when it said Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the caption. ;)

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:49 am

I think it also helped that the words "Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania" popped up on the screen. :lol:

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:56 am

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:58 am

my brain works faster than your location titles

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:01 am

Stray thoughts...
- the girl who played max was just so bad. It's hard to keep up with the other child actors, I guess. But if she can't get there, at least have here stop making the slouched down head up bug eye quizzical stare face.
-episode 7...I liked the story. I liked her sister. I liked a lot of it. But those side characters...really really bad. Unforgivably bad, actually. I guess they were going for something interesting by over stylizing and piping in cheesy dialogue, but it sucked. Really bad. No issues with leaving Hawkins or focusing just on 11 though.

the most cringeworthy part of ep. 7 was that that band of renegades had to run from the cops because of elevens f up and no one seemed to care?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:13 am

Stray thoughts...

the most cringeworthy part of ep. 7 was that that band of renegades had to run from the cops because of elevens f up and no one seemed to care?
1 dimensional caricatures don't have the bandwidth to care about things. i really don't understand how they arrived at those characters. even if being annoying isn't a sin, how does that blond girl exist? what reality is that even loosely based off of where a ditzy, glammed up blonde who otherwise shows no signs of aggression/anger/hostility is also a cold blooded killer? oh - she's crazy. right...shes a great person to bring on these missions then. very useful.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:23 am

Episode 7 was so bad. Like, did they let the interns write an episode as a YOLO?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:37 am

Stray thoughts...

1 dimensional caricatures don't have the bandwidth to care about things. i really don't understand how they arrived at those characters. even if being annoying isn't a sin, how does that blond girl exist? what reality is that even loosely based off of where a ditzy, glammed up blonde who otherwise shows no signs of aggression/anger/hostility is also a cold blooded killer? oh - she's crazy. right...shes a great person to bring on these missions then. very useful.
One theory that I liked questioned if any of the crew even actually exists. Eight’s powers allow her to cause people to see things. Maybe the entire crew is just a projection she puts out as a diversion/to stave off her own loneliness and they’re one dimensional charicatures because she’s had limited interpersonal relationships in her life.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:42 am

That's a bullsh't theory.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:51 am

You're bullshit. Go watch The Punisher.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:54 am

You're bullshit. Go watch The Punisher.
The Punisher is bullsh't, too.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:57 am

You're bullshit. It's all bullshit.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:06 am

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:29 am

I get why people were underwhelmed by more of the same with season 2, but Iook at this show as the "upside down" being a secondary plot to the development of the characters. The monster stuff is a backdrop to eleven's journey and these kids growing up. So I don't really care if they go back to the "Hawkins is in trouble from an interdimensional monster" well as long as they present us an interesting path for these characters. So I hope they change up the dynamic a little...maybe it's not will who is in trouble ...a redemption arc for billy?...a significant rift in the gang. I'm sold on S3 if they can kee the interpersonal stuff fresh.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:11 am

i personally didnt mind episode7