Stranger Things Thread (Spoilers included)

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:37 am

I don't want to watch a group of kids (who really aren't the best actors) sit around and try to handle heavy scenes like mourning, self blame, etc.
really? i think the heavy scenes with will having to deal with his fate as an outsider who is probably permanently cursed by the netherworld were extremely poignant, and were the best interactions between the kids all season.

you could sprinkle this in and still have them be goofballs. they're playing a dangerous game here with the notion of consequence. they do this hard reset every season, where nobody but Joyce (for five minutes) really acknowledges the emotional impact of being tormented by monsters. not to mention this thing where hawkins is in this ridiculous pattern of whitewashing these events over and over. you can only chalk this up to "it's the 80's" so much. lots of dead people and intrigue going on, man. something's gotta give.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:40 am

Yeah that's a different show. The Goonies never sat back and contemplated death. Even when Elliot is straight up dying in E.T., there's a sense of wonder and adventure, not mourning or reflection.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:43 am

really? i think the heavy scenes with will having to deal with his fate as an outsider who is probably permanently cursed by the netherworld were extremely poignant, and were the best interactions between the kids all season.
I think Will's the only above average actor in the bunch. And they give him the least to do. Maybe it's a combination of mediocre dialogue writing and young actors, but I find myself cringing in most of the serious (and not in "monsters are attacking - we're going to die!" way) scenes because the actors take me out of it. There's a big difference between horror/action/comedic movie acting and serious dramatic performances and I don't think most of these kids have the chops for the latter which is why I'm willing to forgo the inclusion of such scenes on screen.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:49 am

I think Will's the only above average actor in the bunch. And they give him the least to do. Maybe it's a combination of mediocre dialogue writing and young actors, but I find myself cringing in most of the serious (and not in "monsters are attacking - we're going to die!" way) scenes because the actors take me out of it. There's a big difference between horror/action/comedic movie acting and serious dramatic performances and I don't think most of these kids have the chops for the latter which is why I'm willing to forgo the inclusion of such scenes on screen.
Fair enough. It’s amazing that the kid who plays Mike has a side career. He was awful in IT, I thought. It’s sort of the DJ Conner issue from Roseanne...adolescence hits and they lose all of their ability in some cases.

I think it’s very possible I just don’t like this show anymore, too. And what I want isn’t what the show runners are interested in. I still find this season to be a tonal mess, though, where they’re overly selective in determining what actually causes emotional impact. Like...make them immune from this or don’t. But arbitrarily mixing it up is lousy.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:12 am

I just finished the season last night, and my first thought was: "shmenguin is going to hate this..." :lol:

I loved it. First off, Hopper isn't dead. He jumped into the upside down and we'll see him next season.

The song had me in stitches. I was laughing so hard. To be able to go from super intense, my heart is pounding, to laughing so hard I was crying a bit, and back to super intense, heart pounding moments... wooooo buddy, what a roller coaster ride.

I agree with Hopper being over the top, but I didn't mind it.

Overall, I thought it was the best season so far.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:38 am

We got through he first two episodes of the new season. Enjoying it so far, hope to binge finish it over the weekend.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:42 am

It goes quickly.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:47 am

We did two episodes a night this week and blasted right through... it got us hooked, and had we not been exhausted from our kid and jobs, we'd have binged it in 2 nights.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:00 am

I'd rather have done it like you did c2i, but too much going on this week to watch a couple episodes every night. We are old and in bed by like 9:30 on weeknights. This weekend is jam packed too, but hopefully can finish it off at some point.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:24 am

I just finished the season last night, and my first thought was: "shmenguin is going to hate this..." :lol:

I loved it. First off, Hopper isn't dead. He jumped into the upside down and we'll see him next season.

The song had me in stitches. I was laughing so hard. To be able to go from super intense, my heart is pounding, to laughing so hard I was crying a bit, and back to super intense, heart pounding moments... wooooo buddy, what a roller coaster ride.

I agree with Hopper being over the top, but I didn't mind it.

Overall, I thought it was the best season so far.
It was a big dumb action movie stretched out over 8 hours. I understand the appeal. I like that sometimes. I don’t like when there’s a shift away from thoughtfulness and tight story telling, but if it veered in the direction that you prefer, congrats.

...the more I think about it, the more I hate it though. It was so shitty. The Russians actually set up camp in a shopping mall. F’ing awesome. And how about that secret code they cracked. As if you need a code to tell someone what time the supplies are being dropped off. “8:45 at the usual place” would have been way too obvious.

On second thought, screw your taste, c2i. This season sucked and now you suck by proxy.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:30 am

You don’t need a proxy to know I suck. Lol

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:32 am

Looking back through it seems shmenguin and others have already covered my grievances so I won't rehash.

Cliffhanger aside from a storytelling/artistic integrity standpoint they should close the door on this and walk away with that as the series ending. There is zero chance it gets better from here. The seasons have been on a steady downward trajectory since the start and season 4 will not be better than any of the ones already out there. My wife said if the first two episodes of S4 suck, she's out.

Also, this was better as a 'fall' show. The summer setting wasn't as interesting, imo.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:36 am

Sounds like you and your wife were made for each other.

I was pleasantly surprised by S3. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised by S4.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:39 am

She has a low tolerance for bullshit (which is surprising given her choice of lifemate). It shocked me when she bailed on Grey's Anatomy when it got really stupid. I generally like to play things out even if it's terrible, though I did bail on The Walking Dead after watching the season premiere one year.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:44 am

:thumb:

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:46 am

I watched half an hour of Another Life, which is definitely terrible, and I still might eventually continue to watch. Silly me.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:48 am

Wife and I finished S3 last night. I think I liked it better than she did, though she was crying at the end. I'd be find if they just ended it as it was right now. Season 1 was still the high point. Season 2/3 are interchangeable for me, but I still enjoyed them. It's still a nostalgic thing for me probably more than anything else. I'll watch season 4 for sure though when/if it happens.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:48 am

I just googled the title and the second image that came back was two blondes in matching bra/panties with assault rifles. Can't imagine how it's holding your attention...

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:05 am

If it wasn't set in the 80s, I probably wouldn't be interested in it.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:29 am

Yes.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:49 am

If it wasn't set in the 80s, I probably wouldn't be interested in it.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:59 am

this sentiment says a lot about the substance of the show.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:28 pm

if GoT was in the 80s I wouldn't watch it

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:33 pm

if GoT was in the 80s I wouldn't watch it
:lol: same.

1880s? Maybe.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:52 pm

what kid in the 80's would say "bang" instead of "lay" or "make it with", btw? there was a lot of anachronistic dialog and interactions this season.

freaking turd of an 8 hours