Stranger Things Thread (Spoilers included)

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:30 pm

Thru 5 of the 8 on the first day. Well worth the effort. Lots of storylines to tie up in the final 3.
We are through 5 too. It's great, probably my favorite season so far.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:32 pm

Halfway through episode 2. Not feeling it yet.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:35 pm

Thru 5 of the 8 on the first day. Well worth the effort. Lots of storylines to tie up in the final 3.
I'm definitely more invested in this one than I was even in the previous 2 seasons. Episode 4 was INTENSE. Hoping to finish it off before the end of the weekend. A little disappointing that there's only 8 episodes but I guess leave them wanting more, right?

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:43 pm

Halfway through episode 2. Not feeling it yet.
I do now. :scared:

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:59 pm

I'm definitely more invested in this one than I was even in the previous 2 seasons. Episode 4 was INTENSE. Hoping to finish it off before the end of the weekend. A little disappointing that there's only 8 episodes but I guess leave them wanting more, right?
Yeah, after fireworks last night, we ordered pizza and watched ep4 at midnight with the kids. Had to stay up with them because they were terrified. Love it!

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:00 pm

First Jaws, now this. Poor kids.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:21 pm

God damn you duffer brothers.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:47 pm

Best season yet. Ending had the water works going. Daughter and I openly sobbing from our perspectives from the letter. Dang. Loved it.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:34 pm

Well damn. That was depressing.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:18 pm

Finished it Saturday night. Thought this season was the best of the 3 because of the various storylines involved and it included all of the characters instead of just centering on the baby rat pack (the 4 kids). I don't have the same perspective as others so I wasn't as affected by the end as some have mentioned here. The small cliffhanger at the end leaves a nice question for season 4. I thought the casting decisions made in the final episode were rather interesting. One I totally understood, the other was a bit of a surprise. I think I wrote that sentence without any sort of spoiler. I'm sure the discussion will be much better once more people finish.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:41 pm

I liked it, not as much as S1/S2 though. I thought the storylines were a little disjointed and I didn't like
that you essentially had to wait the whole season to get the group together.
The scenes with Alexei/Murray were brilliant. Seems the majority of the fanbase is in love with Erica - I can't stand her. So forced. Episode 8 was some stressful TV.

Wondering where this is going to go in the next season(s).
Hoping it doesn't turn in to "the gang travels to wherever the hell Will lives now to fight something that followed him there." Or - "we all have to band together and go to Russia to spring Hopper out of the Russian prison....and *gasp* El gets her powers back right at the end to get him out!" I've seen speculation that it could be Matthew Modine's character in the prison. Would kinda suck if Hop is really gone.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:52 pm

Agree on all points.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:15 pm

I didn't mind them all getting together late in the season, I thought the season progressed as a whole so much better because they all had their own story lines going. It would have been a drag to see them all together without anything to do all season.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:50 am

The Red Ranger from the recent power rangers movie is Billy from ST. huh

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:49 pm

Well, damn.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:26 pm

Call 618-625-8313

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:27 am

Wrapped up season 3. Overall, did it meet expectations? Probably. Could it have been better? Sure.
IMO:

hopper's angry overprotective impatient guy schtick was way way too over the top

the terminator guy could have killed hopper multiple times rather easily....but didn't?

in the first two seasons, i was willing to acknowledge that maybe all of that stuff could happen without noticing it. but monsters and murders and explosions at the mall and hospital and no one notices? dude gets shot at a carnival and no one notices? Come on man.

i did enjoy Erica/dustins/steves/uma thurmans excellent adventure

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:23 am

I agree that this season was the best of the three. My only major complaints are:
- The dude who plays Will is probably the best actor of all the kids. And they basically gave him one line to repeat throughout the series. "He's here." Wasted opportunity after how great he was in season 2.

- Too many couples. Mike and Eleven, Lucas and Max, Jonathan and Nancy, Hopper and Joyce, Dustin and Suzie. We get it, the kids are growing up and are more interested in girls than D&D. We don't need every kid (except Will because he's too busy holding the back of his neck) to be in a relationship with another main character. And Mike and Eleven are gross together.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:40 am

I agree that this season was the best of the three. My only major complaints are:
- The dude who plays Will is probably the best actor of all the kids. And they basically gave him one line to repeat throughout the series. "He's here." Wasted opportunity after how great he was in season 2.

- Too many couples. Mike and Eleven, Lucas and Max, Jonathan and Nancy, Hopper and Joyce, Dustin and Suzie. We get it, the kids are growing up and are more interested in girls than D&D. We don't need every kid (except Will because he's too busy holding the back of his neck) to be in a relationship with another main character. And Mike and Eleven are gross together.
not only that, he only said "he's here" when its blatantly obvious that the **** was already there. like, he couldn't give them at least a few seconds heads up?

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:43 am

not only that, he only said "he's here" when its blatantly obvious that the **** was already there. like, he couldn't give them at least a few seconds heads up?
:lol: That's an amazing point. Cars are flying, lights are flickering. Will: "He's here."

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:58 am

Don't forget Will's other line: "NOW can we play D & D?"

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:03 pm

I agree with the nitpicks. Hopper and Joyce's bickering was really annoying, imo. And the editing needed tightened up. Jokes lingered too long. The "Neverending Story" sing along was the worst offender. I was cringing. That needed cut in half, at least. A really, really fantastic ending made me able to overlook the faults, but I think the writing was worse this season than 1 and 2. It's getting too big and this season really felt like an 80's movie, with more spectacle than substance in parts. I know that was the point, but I feel like the characters suffered with the influx of new people, bigger set pieces/action sequences, and a more convoluted story. All that said, I can't wait for season 4.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:19 pm

General thoughts on the season:

Overall liked it, but:
- Hopper was over the top.
- What's with them LEAVING PEOPLE BY THEMSELVES?!?! There's murderous Russians and monsters and Billy-Zombie but Imma go grab some corn dogs. Oh ****, Smirnoff is dead.
- Erica was annoying AF. Did not like her even a little.
- Agree with all the Will rubbing his neck comments. A little heads up would be good stupid.
- The NES song was way too much during a finale.
- Are we to think Hopper got transported to Russia either physically or mystically after we saw the other soldiers disintegrate?
- Joyce finally got wise and got the hell out of Dodge. Her best move of the series.
- Trying to redeem Billy was just silly. He was a complete dadhole and killed people all season.
Last edited by blackjack68 on Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:20 pm

Oh, and Murray was highlight a for me.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:19 pm

I liked neverending story, hopper and billy. I thought they've done a pretty decent job at somehow making billy likable after how much of a ass he was.