2017-18 College Hoops Thread

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:51 am

WOW. I was beyond tired last night, and fell asleep in my daughter's bed at like 10:00 while I was putting her down. Hate that I missed that game. So many things incredible about that game...not only was it a 1v16, it was the #1 overall frickin seed. Unreal.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:20 am

One of the criticisms that the committee gets when they put the matchups together is that they don’t follow a true S curve. They build matchups based on geography and logistics (because a $1 billion entity can’t be spending extra cash on flights). If Virginia was the true #1 seed, they shouldn’t have been playing UMBC but instead, one of the winners in Dayton.

Gotta love some of the idiots in my industry. Some writer asked a Virginia player last nite if he was aware a 16 had never won and if they sort of dismissed the idea coming in. The player gave him as terse response as possible without cussing him out. Typical trash writer who probably wanted to stir up something after it was said that a UVA player called UMBC a bunch of YMCA players.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:38 am

WOW. I was beyond tired last night, and fell asleep in my daughter's bed at like 10:00 while I was putting her down. Hate that I missed that game. So many things incredible about that game...not only was it a 1v16, it was the #1 overall frickin seed. Unreal.
You would have caused a comeback.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:16 am

UMBC lost to Albany this season 83-39.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:19 pm

See ya later, Notre Dame. Yeah, it's not the Big Dance, but nice to see the Lions making a deep run in the NIT. Knocking off the top seed in South Bend? Even better. Doing it on St. Patrick's Day? Aw yisss

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:46 pm

Looks like we are headed to two blowouts here in pgh

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:59 pm

Glad I didn’t spend the $ to head back into town today. Snoozefest.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:36 pm

I dig these old school jerseys with the script Loyola.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:20 pm

Vegas was crazy with that UMBC upset...sick atmosphere to see a game that I would not have otherwise watched...

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:26 pm

After a nice UT comeback Loyola beat the vols on a shot with 3 seconds left.

This tournament is always $ but this year it's $$$.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:21 pm

Vegas was crazy with that UMBC upset...sick atmosphere to see a game that I would not have otherwise watched...
The book is an amazing place to watch the tournament, especially when the upsets start flowing. I was in one when Florida Gulf Coast dunked all over their first 2 opponents and it was like a damn party in there. The other times that it gets nuts in there is when a game is close to the spread or over/under. You've got people yelling at walk-ons to shoot rather than dribble out the clock because they need another bucket or screaming at the defense to leave them alone and not foul to keep the margin where it's at. Gambling...fun for the whole family!!

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:41 pm

I was invited by some friends of friends to an area with couches and chairs and comped drinks and the whole bit on Friday...it was enjoyable. A few of them went to Xavier...I asked them what they thought of Xavier -19.5 figuring they would have a better feel on it than me...they generally were like "meh, I don't know about that...it'll get close, but 20 is a long way to go." so...I left it out of my parlay.

If you saw the end of that game, there was some disappointment in the group following their 19 point win and I was like "hmph, well, it didn't seem like they bet on that happening...so...?"

After all of it clears out, I'm just looking at the table and some of the bets that were placed and what not...I uncrumble a couple of tickets...found three bets on the table totaling over $2,000 on Xavier -19.5.

The way the end of that game went down, they are much cooler customers than even me and/or they're big time ballers haha

I won't, because I just don't have the bandwidth to learn another sport that is so expansive (there's like 300 D-1 team, aren't there? Something like that)...but being there and being in that action makes me wish I knew a damn thing about NCAA hoop...

At the end of the trip, I am up a plus...nothing substantial, just three figures - would have been four almost certainly if Stars -1.5 would have happened on Friday night, that was a part of a lot of parlays...but in any case, that was really, really enjoyable experience...everyone's teeth are so white in Vegas, it's crazy...

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:34 am

Make your free throws. It's not that hard of a concept to grasp.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:14 pm

I was invited by some friends of friends to an area with couches and chairs and comped drinks and the whole bit on Friday...it was enjoyable. A few of them went to Xavier...I asked them what they thought of Xavier -19.5 figuring they would have a better feel on it than me...they generally were like "meh, I don't know about that...it'll get close, but 20 is a long way to go." so...I left it out of my parlay.

If you saw the end of that game, there was some disappointment in the group following their 19 point win and I was like "hmph, well, it didn't seem like they bet on that happening...so...?"

After all of it clears out, I'm just looking at the table and some of the bets that were placed and what not...I uncrumble a couple of tickets...found three bets on the table totaling over $2,000 on Xavier -19.5.

The way the end of that game went down, they are much cooler customers than even me and/or they're big time ballers haha

I won't, because I just don't have the bandwidth to learn another sport that is so expansive (there's like 300 D-1 team, aren't there? Something like that)...but being there and being in that action makes me wish I knew a damn thing about NCAA hoop...

At the end of the trip, I am up a plus...nothing substantial, just three figures - would have been four almost certainly if Stars -1.5 would have happened on Friday night, that was a part of a lot of parlays...but in any case, that was really, really enjoyable experience...everyone's teeth are so white in Vegas, it's crazy...
Trust me, you don't have to know much to be successful with the gambling. If knowledge = success, I would be hanging out with those fat cats who can put that kind of cash on a game. I hear about these bets all the time because I have a friend who works for William Hill and he'll tell me about some of the crazy things that come in that win or lose and I just shake my head. Someone put $800 on UMBC to win outright at 20-1 odds (hello, $16,000). Who has that kind of cash to just toss out there on a 16 seed? I heard about another person that had a $40 money line parlay on UMBC and Marshall that was roughly 200-1. But the way that Xavier game ended (I had TX Southern +19 so I got the late push) and the way the Seton Hall-Kansas game ended (Seton Hall was +4 1/2 and hit a 3 at the horn to cut the margin to 4) are the things that you have to be involved in to believe. If you ever watch Scott Van Pelt's Bad Beats segment on Sportscenter, those are the kinds of things that make it there. Of course, for every bad beat, there's always someone that has the other side and they're dancing around the book like they just hit a 12-teamer...or maybe that was the last leg of the 12-teamer.

Always great to walk out of there a winner, even if it's $100. Where did you stay and where did you do most of your gambling/game watching?

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:19 pm

I assume everyone’s abuzz for tonight’s battle of West Virginia..... in beautiful San diego of course.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:21 pm

Marshall taking down UWV would be epic.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:04 pm

Trust me, you don't have to know much to be successful with the gambling. If knowledge = success, I would be hanging out with those fat cats who can put that kind of cash on a game. I hear about these bets all the time because I have a friend who works for William Hill and he'll tell me about some of the crazy things that come in that win or lose and I just shake my head. Someone put $800 on UMBC to win outright at 20-1 odds (hello, $16,000). Who has that kind of cash to just toss out there on a 16 seed? I heard about another person that had a $40 money line parlay on UMBC and Marshall that was roughly 200-1. But the way that Xavier game ended (I had TX Southern +19 so I got the late push) and the way the Seton Hall-Kansas game ended (Seton Hall was +4 1/2 and hit a 3 at the horn to cut the margin to 4) are the things that you have to be involved in to believe. If you ever watch Scott Van Pelt's Bad Beats segment on Sportscenter, those are the kinds of things that make it there. Of course, for every bad beat, there's always someone that has the other side and they're dancing around the book like they just hit a 12-teamer...or maybe that was the last leg of the 12-teamer.

Always great to walk out of there a winner, even if it's $100. Where did you stay and where did you do most of your gambling/game watching?
Stayed at Luxor. Did our Thursday watching and gambling there. Then met up with some friends at Bellagio and did our Friday watching and gambling there.

I just reloaded by Bovada account, so I will be back in the betting thread now...

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:04 pm

Izzo and Boeheim. Dislike them both, but they are the Men of March.

Watch Syracuse **** around and make another surprise Final 4 appearance.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:05 pm

This Davis cat on aTm is putting on a clinic in the low post

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:08 pm

This Davis cat on aTm is putting on a clinic in the low post
They don’t do that in the NBA anymore, right?

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:08 pm

Well, can’t win ‘em every year. Just really sucks how flat the Heels have been all day. That’s the tournament for ya though, cannot afford a bad shooting day.

Kudos to A&M as well, they’re better than a 7 seed for sure.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:18 pm

If you want to see an example of how to play basketball the right way, watch aTm move the ball around and get the extra open look and go to the basket. Both Sparty and Carolina fell victim to the siren's song behind the arc and when all you do is toss up brick after brick, there's nothing you're gonna do to be able to change that. The way Sparty lost to Syracuse today was an embarrassment to basketball.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:43 pm

This is a fun tournament so far. Yes, that MSU-Syracuse game was hideous.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:51 pm

That was some rough inner city street hoops...they should have lost the nets and gone with chains...

State missed their last 15 from the field or whatever...woof...

Talked myself out of Cuse straight up because of the whole 3 games in 5 days thing too...rats...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:01 pm

I’ve never had a bracket get so absolutely decimated before.