POLL: What Affliction Would You NOT Want to Have?

What is the worst affliction?

Alzheimer's Disease
38%
Cerebral Palsy
15%
Progeria - Aging Disease
15%
Other - List & Explain Below
31%

Total votes: 13
tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:06 pm

I chose Alzheimer's. Repeated concussions have left me with a terrible short term memory. It's immensely frustrating, and often embarrassing..... I can't even begin to imagine how terrible it would be forgetting who my wife is, or all the great memories we share.
I'm in the same boat. Several car accidents (including one last June where I rehabbed for six months) and a large number of concussions from playing hockey and skating didn't exactly help my cause.

I often lose track of stuff like keys, phone, wallet, paperwork like seconds after I set them down. At least my watch/phone has a "find me" feature, which has been used more than I would like to admit. Ask me to repeat back something as simple as a phone number without paper/pen or notepad? That's not happening.

I imagine it will only get progressively worse as I trek through my 40s.
My problem tends to manifest more like starting a sentence and then like six words in I have no idea what I was intending to say. Or being told to do something by my boss or Mrs Tif or whatever, and then 40 minutes later having no real recollection of the conversation. The latter is more rare, but a bit scarier when it happens; I've taken to writing nearly everything down.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:20 pm

I chose Alzheimer's. Repeated concussions have left me with a terrible short term memory. It's immensely frustrating, and often embarrassing..... I can't even begin to imagine how terrible it would be forgetting who my wife is, or all the great memories we share.
I'm in the same boat. Several car accidents (including one last June where I rehabbed for six months) and a large number of concussions from playing hockey and skating didn't exactly help my cause.

I often lose track of stuff like keys, phone, wallet, paperwork like seconds after I set them down. At least my watch/phone has a "find me" feature, which has been used more than I would like to admit. Ask me to repeat back something as simple as a phone number without paper/pen or notepad? That's not happening.

I imagine it will only get progressively worse as I trek through my 40s.
My problem tends to manifest more like starting a sentence and then like six words in I have no idea what I was intending to say. Or being told to do something by my boss or Mrs Tif or whatever, and then 40 minutes later having no real recollection of the conversation. The latter is more rare, but a bit scarier when it happens; I've taken to writing nearly everything down.
I've caught myself doing that a lot, especially over the last year.

Quite embarrassing when it happens in a meeting, an interview, or even just in a group discussion.