What is the role of prison in our society?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:25 am

Much like with the Welfare State in Sweden or the educational system in Finland I do not always think it really is an apples to apples comparison with these small, European countries and our quite large (geographically and population) nation.
you're right. we need decriminalization even more.

Just because something works over there doesn't mean it would work here.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:27 am

Much like with the Welfare State in Sweden or the educational system in Finland I do not always think it really is an apples to apples comparison with these small, European countries and our quite large (geographically and population) nation.

it already works over here in the areas that have implemented it.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:28 am

I certainly agree. It's difficult to make the comparison exactly apples to apples, but it's an interesting place to at least start and think about the discussion.
Agreed

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:30 am

I didn't know places in the U.S. decriminalized all drugs. Please enlighten me...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:32 am

I didn't know places in the U.S. decriminalized all drugs. Please enlighten me...
the small scale experiments with marijuana are relevant indicators

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:41 am

True, but it doesn't mean we can't learn from them.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:43 am

Depends on the prison. R&R at a minimum security, white collar resort prison. Or is it a federal pound me in the a** prison?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:44 am

True, but it doesn't mean we can't learn from them.
Didn't say we could not.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:58 am

Started watching that Lost for Life doc on netflix.. only about 20 minutes in.. and its crazy how brazen these two were. Making videos stating they were going to kill this person, and sounding like its just another day. Just awful.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:01 pm

Jesus they took video right after they killed her driving away in the car stating how they did it. It was like a rush for them. Just awful.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:24 pm

How about for a teenage murderer? Should they be allowed a chance at "rehabilitation," or should they pay for their cruelty forever?

This is the first case profiled in the doc, and it sickened me more than any true crime story I've ever seen. Hearing them think they should be freed after this is outrageous. They thought it would be fun to mash up Columbine and a Scream movie, so they stabbed a friend to death, and filmed themselves planning it and afterward http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_ ... o_Stoddart
30 minutes into this...the one guy whose sister is talking on his behalf about being abused and being in a cult and whatnot. maybe there will be more to this later, but she seems completely full of s***, and the lawyer in the background is just playing this up to get the guy off the hook.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:58 pm

One of the larger problems that does not get talked about enough (imo) are the life-long consequences of incarceration. Say you get done for some crime or other as a 19-year old. Non-violent offense, but still a felony; let's say you stole something expensive from a store. You go away for 14 months...... you are now, in most cases, never going to be able to find a job once you're out. Sure, there are businesses who might overlook a felony conviction. But once that's on your record, you can cross off Walmart, McDonald's, most office jobs, etc. So you are released from prison, and now have no way of earning a living and supporting yourself.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:01 pm

Wouldn't that be more of a problem in regards to the hiring practices of companies than it would be in regards to the prison/incarceration system?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:09 pm

Wouldn't that be more of a problem in regards to the hiring practices of companies than it would be in regards to the prison/incarceration system?
it's not up to the companies. the white collar world is increasingly governed by risk management. background checks are standard practice not only for internal employees but also vendors. so those vendors then need to filter out anyone with a criminal history as well as the company hiring them.

there's no wiggle room for compassion, especially when there are more candidates than ever for these positions

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:11 pm

One of the larger problems that does not get talked about enough (imo) are the life-long consequences of incarceration. Say you get done for some crime or other as a 19-year old. Non-violent offense, but still a felony; let's say you stole something expensive from a store. You go away for 14 months...... you are now, in most cases, never going to be able to find a job once you're out. Sure, there are businesses who might overlook a felony conviction. But once that's on your record, you can cross off Walmart, McDonald's, most office jobs, etc. So you are released from prison, and now have no way of earning a living and supporting yourself.
a common line of bulls*** thrown around by prohibitionists is that no one is serving jail time for possessions of small amounts of marijuana. while that's generally the case (for first-timers at least), it's irrelevant. many would be better off spending a year in jail with no criminal record than having no jail time, but with a scarlet letter tattooed on their forehead forever.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:12 pm

Don't commit a felony. Then you wouldn't have this problem.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:15 pm

part of me is sympathetic, the other doesn't really care.

what's the threshold for felony theft? is it a dollar amount?

oh and it's obvious that the US has a ridiculous drug policy. A lot of "felons" should be released.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:18 pm

I think the dollar amount is greater than 500 dollars for it to be considered a felony.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:22 pm

Don't commit a felony. Then you wouldn't have this problem.
Heard a story on the radio yesterday. Guy didn't handle his accounting properly, ended up having a $500,000 tax bill that he couldn't pay. Sentenced to 11-months in the federal slammer. He will be released in a few months with the tax bill still unpaid, but he'll likely have no way to earn a decent living to ever pay that off.

It would be great if human people were made of unicorns and rainbows, but we aren't. Sometimes you make mistakes or bad decisions. You shouldn't have to bear a negative consequence for that for the rest of your life.
what's the threshold for felony theft? is it a dollar amount?
Depends on the jurisdiction, what the property is that's being stolen, a whole lot of factors.

For example, in PA if you steal a firearm it is automatically considered a first degree felony, no matter the dollar value of the weapon.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:28 pm

it's not up to the companies. the white collar world is increasingly governed by risk management. background checks are standard practice not only for internal employees but also vendors. so those vendors then need to filter out anyone with a criminal history as well as the company hiring them.

there's no wiggle room for compassion, especially when there are more candidates than ever for these positions
I think you're saying the same thing I did, but worded it much better.

Hiring practices and risk management in hiring is the issue with what tif was pointing out, not necessarily the prison system, no?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:32 pm

Mistakes are usually misdemeanors.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:36 pm

Sometimes you make mistakes or bad decisions. You shouldn't have to bear a negative consequence for that for the rest of your life.
You've obviously never been divorced,

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:46 pm

Which will still show up on a background check for the rest of your life.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:46 pm

I think you're saying the same thing I did, but worded it much better.

Hiring practices and risk management in hiring is the issue with what tif was pointing out, not necessarily the prison system, no?
certain offenses should not go on your record. that's the biggest problem. i don't really have an issue with the hiring practices, since it is the private business' prerogative to have their own standards. i also believe in the idea of managing risks by applying filters like that - even though it's imperfect and unfair

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:58 pm

Which will still show up on a background check for the rest of your life.
If rehabilitation is supposedly any aspect of doing prison time, carrying a record around pretty much nullifies that concept.