I need a ruling on this

RonnieFranchise

I need a ruling on this

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:49 pm

So another one from our illustrious girls soccer coach who is really good on soccer knowledge but sucks on pretty much everything else.

Wants to do a team trip to Cedar Point. Great, very nice of you to organize that, they'll love it.

It's on a mandatory practice day so, it's mandatory, and he has stressed that it is. We live in a solidly middle middle class area, but as such there are some people who can't afford a luxury like what's probably a $100 trip with admission, bus, food and what not. But it's mandatory meaning they are penalized if they don't go barring major illness or death in the family. So now if someone can't afford the trip they either have to scrape it together or go to him and say hey, look, we can't afford this and their kid gets disciplined for missing a mandatory function.

It's just, sort of ridiculous. Do it before mandatories start.

Also not sure who did or did not donate to the gofundme to send his club team to Denver but they got bounced in the first round.

faftorial

I need a ruling on this

Postby faftorial » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:54 pm

Just start talking a weight loss drug instead.
Ozempic?

Orlando Penguin

I need a ruling on this

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:47 pm

So another one from our illustrious girls soccer coach who is really good on soccer knowledge but sucks on pretty much everything else.

Wants to do a team trip to Cedar Point. Great, very nice of you to organize that, they'll love it.

It's on a mandatory practice day so, it's mandatory, and he has stressed that it is. We live in a solidly middle middle class area, but as such there are some people who can't afford a luxury like what's probably a $100 trip with admission, bus, food and what not. But it's mandatory meaning they are penalized if they don't go barring major illness or death in the family. So now if someone can't afford the trip they either have to scrape it together or go to him and say hey, look, we can't afford this and their kid gets disciplined for missing a mandatory function.

It's just, sort of ridiculous. Do it before mandatories start.

Also not sure who did or did not donate to the gofundme to send his club team to Denver but they got bounced in the first round.
You and a bunch of other parents need to band together and gang up on this guy and ask him on what planet a trip to an amusement park is mandatory...unless he's footing the bill for the entire team to go.

MrKennethTKangaroo

I need a ruling on this

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:49 pm

Gotta side with the coach here. Plenty of correlation between cedar point trips and soccer success.

RonnieFranchise

I need a ruling on this

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:05 pm

Last year we had to pay $95 a player for him to buy some video system that records all players and allegedly provides them with video he can review with them every game. Good, right?

He didn't set it up for 80% of the JV games so my daughter and most of the rest of the Freshmen and less talented upperclassmen, who paid the same $95, got next to no benefit when they're the ones you would think would need more work.

Sam's Drunk Dog

I need a ruling on this

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:16 pm

This guy sounds like a total jagoff.

RonnieFranchise

I need a ruling on this

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:55 pm

This guy sounds like a total jagoff.
One of several words I use for him.

I wish she didn't like the game so much.

Dickie Dunn

I need a ruling on this

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:21 pm

Make her watch West Ham with you. She'll hate it soon enough.

willeyeam

I need a ruling on this

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:24 am

Some parents like Ronnie just don't understand the price to pay for success these days

RonnieFranchise

I need a ruling on this

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:39 am

Recognizing 9/11. It's a tough subject because on one hand I feel like who am I to judge someone for how they recognize such a thing? But a couple of our youth sports organizations have taken to wearing red, white and blue uniforms on or near 9/11 (none of those are our colors). I get a bit annoyed with that. I feel like that's something you do in celebration, like the 4th of July. I think if you want to use it as a day to recognize first responders, that's great, maybe even go with police, fire, paramedic themed uniforms if you must... although there are probably better ways to spend a youth sports club's money.... but in general it's something I choose not to recognize in such a way. It's still an open wound for me and will be for the rest of my life. I didn't know anybody who died that day, but I still have a hard time on 9/11. I prefer to keep my nose to the grindstone on this day.

Am I just being an dadhole crumudgeon or is there something to this?

nocera

I need a ruling on this

Postby nocera » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:49 am

At least red white and blue uniforms are better than this:

Sadly, that's the best quality I could find of just the commercial. I think remembrance is important especially now that we're over 20 years since it happened and kids who are about to graduate college in a year or so weren't alive for 9/11. The uniforms thing just feels like an organization that wants to do something but isn't sure how to handle it. If nothing else, it might be a chance to talk to your kid about why they're wearing special uniforms.

King Colby

I need a ruling on this

Postby King Colby » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:51 am

I think one of the outcomes at the time was a renewed sense of patriotism, and wearing the country's colors is honors that more than anything

skullman80

I need a ruling on this

Postby skullman80 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:04 am

The thing is kids playing little league have zero connection to 9/11. It means nothing to them .. and why should it?

I get the sentiment, but for little league it's nothing but try hard fake patriotism.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

I need a ruling on this

Postby meow » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:06 am

Let’s take this a step further and stop playing the anthem at youth sports. Time is valuable. Play the game

nocera

I need a ruling on this

Postby nocera » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:07 am

The thing is kids playing little league have zero connection to 9/11. It means nothing to them .. and why should it?

I get the sentiment, but for little league it's nothing but try hard fake patriotism.
That's sort of the whole idea behind the "never forget" stuff. I used to poo poo that, especially when we were closer to 2001. But now that most people in their 20s have no real memory of 9/11, I get it. It's not a reminder for the people who lived through it.

Wearing a patriotic special uniform for 9/11 feels pretty innocuous.

nocera

I need a ruling on this

Postby nocera » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:08 am

Let’s take this a step further and stop playing the anthem at youth sports. Time is valuable. Play the game
This I agree with 100%. And extend that to college and pro leagues too.

King Colby

I need a ruling on this

Postby King Colby » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:08 am

Eh, it was an important moment in their country's history. Whether or not they were around for it is irrelevant.

I would agree that honoring FDNY/NYPD would be better though, like they did last night during SNF

skullman80

I need a ruling on this

Postby skullman80 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:09 am

This I agree with 100%. And extend that to college and pro leagues too.
This 100%. The anthem is pointless unless we are talking Olympics or actual play that involves national teams.

Although now that I think about it never have had the anthem at any little league stuff I've been to.

King Colby

I need a ruling on this

Postby King Colby » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:10 am

Do they do this? I never remember having the anthem played except for very few instances at a travel tournament or something. And once in Somerset they played both anthems while waiting for the refs to show up lol

skullman80

I need a ruling on this

Postby skullman80 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:12 am

Eh, it was an important moment in their country's history. Whether or not they were around for it is irrelevant.

I would agree that honoring FDNY/NYPD would be better though, like they did last night during SNF
The SNF stuff makes sense and I totally get that.

In general I guess I just hate the fake patriotism that most people do. There's no real meaning behind it, it's all commercialized stuff.

I'm not angry over it, but it all rings so shallow to me cause it's never genuine.

nocera

I need a ruling on this

Postby nocera » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:13 am

Do they do this? I never remember having the anthem played except for very few instances at a travel tournament or something. And once in Somerset they played both anthems while waiting for the refs to show up lol
My wife coached 7th grade volleyball for 7 years. I went to nearly every game and they played the anthem every single time. And worse, it was a recording of Whitney Houston's anthem, which felt SO long. So yeah, some youth sports definitely play the anthem.

skullman80

I need a ruling on this

Postby skullman80 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:16 am

I think it's def a thing in middle school and high school but not in little league.

King Colby

I need a ruling on this

Postby King Colby » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:17 am

The SNF stuff makes sense and I totally get that.

In general I guess I just hate the fake patriotism that most people do. There's no real meaning behind it, it's all commercialized stuff.

I'm not angry over it, but it all rings so shallow to me cause it's never genuine.
What is the difference between fake patriotism and patriotism?

nocera

I need a ruling on this

Postby nocera » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:17 am

I think it's def a thing in middle school and high school but not in little league.
I only remember the anthem happening in my nephew's little league before the "world series" games. Same with the different youth basketball leagues, it is a special occasion thing. Nothing gives a game a "big match" feel like having to sit through the national anthem.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

I need a ruling on this

Postby meow » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:25 am

I had to listen to at least one anthem prior to every single hockey game I ever played from the time I was a mini mite until I retired.