I need a ruling on this

Troy Loney

I need a ruling on this

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:43 pm

And to clarify, I doubt I would notice if I didn't get a post-baby shower gift thank you card, so a thank you card shirker wouldn't prompt resentment on my part. So this debate is really about weighing false victim hood (person expressing angst over not getting a card) or inflated sense of self (too important to write a thank you note). Two terrible human qualities.

slappybrown

I need a ruling on this

Postby slappybrown » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:49 pm

And to clarify, I doubt I would notice if I didn't get a post-baby shower gift thank you card, so a thank you card shirker wouldn't prompt resentment on my part. So this debate is really about weighing false victim hood (person expressing angst over not getting a card) or inflated sense of self (too important to write a thank you note). Two terrible human qualities.
I throw them directly into the trash when I realize what it is. I do not need you to recount for me what my wife bought you and how much you like it. I don't give a sht, our gift-giving transaction was concluded when you opened the gift.

shmenguin

I need a ruling on this

Postby shmenguin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:51 pm

It's actually the opposite. I think cards are worthless because I'm not important. My thank you is not a big deal.

Also...i think any time you attend an enjoyable event like that with friends, free food and booze, the gift is the entry fee.

dodint

I need a ruling on this

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:56 pm

It's actually the opposite. I think cards are worthless because I'm not important. My thank you is not a big deal.

Also...i think any time you attend an enjoyable event like that with friends, free food and booze, the gift is the entry fee.
Yeah, no. The gift is expected whether one attends or not.

So my wife bought a gift for someone she has never met because she was asked to via the implication of the invite and despite sending the gift and still to this day have never met the woman she received no acknowledgement of the gift whatsoever.

My cousins wife is trash, basically.

shmenguin

I need a ruling on this

Postby shmenguin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:59 pm

Yeah, no. The gift is expected whether one attends or not.

So my wife bought a gift for someone she has never met because she was asked to via the implication of the invite and despite sending the gift and still to this day have never met the woman she received no acknowledgement of the gift whatsoever.

My cousins wife is trash, basically.
A person shoiul not be expected to send a gift for a party they didn't attend. Getting in a twist over that is as bad as getting in a twist over a canned thank you.

Troy Loney

I need a ruling on this

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:05 pm

A canned thank you, I can see that as a "why bother". The only canned thank yous I sent were from the HS graduation gifts. And it's true that the canned thank you cards I get go right in the trash, but right now I know that we have a baby shower thank you card on our fridge right now, and it wasn't a canned card, it included a warm and personalized expression of thanks.

So, I'd say that you get what you give. like that New Radicals song.

shmenguin

I need a ruling on this

Postby shmenguin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:08 pm

A canned thank you, I can see that as a "why bother". The only canned thank yous I sent were from the HS graduation gifts. And it's true that the canned thank you cards I get go right in the trash, but right now I know that we have a baby shower thank you card on our fridge right now, and it wasn't a canned card, it included a warm and personalized expression of thanks.

So, I'd say that you get what you give. like that New Radicals song.
There's a formula:

Dear X,

Thank you for Y. The baby will enjoy doing Z in them.

...and then if it's a friend, you write something a little personal. If not, end card. Its certainly an exercise in canning

shmenguin

I need a ruling on this

Postby shmenguin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:15 pm

While we're talking about wasteful things that only exist because of females, dodint, shad and Troy, we got a lot of gifts for our kids this year from parents of other kids who don't know us or our children particularly well.

So of course my wife, who is one of those god damn nice people, will always go right out to the store that night to buy a reciprocal gift. F that. Thanks for the gift but the line has been drawn and you're on the wrong side. Merry Xmas.

willeyeam

I need a ruling on this

Postby willeyeam » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:39 pm

Thank you cards are dumb. That said, you have to send them and you're a dick if you don't. Also, if I didn't get one I wouldn't care

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

I need a ruling on this

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:51 pm

Thank you cards are dumb. That said, you have to send them and you're a dick if you don't. Also, if I didn't get one I wouldn't care
This is the only rational take on the matter.

columbia

I need a ruling on this

Postby columbia » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:56 pm

Thank you cards are meant for your aunts and grandmothers. If others expect them, they suck.

Also: stop expecting people to show up at your house and give gifts to your kids.

mikey

I need a ruling on this

Postby mikey » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:11 pm

That last sentence: yes...when did that become a thing? Just because I am invited over for Christmas dinner doesn't mean I want to schlep gifts around from kids that I see once a year...

shmenguin

I need a ruling on this

Postby shmenguin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:23 pm

Parent speaking: please don't get my kids anything unless we share the same last name.

AuthorTony

I need a ruling on this

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:06 pm

I'd like to throw a one off party for myself. I'm never getting married so no bridal/wedding gifts. I'm never having kids. Those non existent kids will never require baby shower gifts or birthday present, graduation money, etc. They won't sell you overpriced cookies or popcorn or magazines. I'm saving my friends and family a small fortune and what do I get out of it? Nothing. That's BS.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

I need a ruling on this

Postby meow » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:23 pm

*ahem*
Thank you notes are outdated and pointless. Please cease and desist.

Thank you.

meow

I need a ruling on this

Postby meow » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:28 pm

Also: stop expecting people to show up at your house and give gifts to your kids.
We had a small fire fight with some family this year because we asked to gift money to our kids instead of toys. We said that we would match their gift amount in each kid’s savings account. Our non-crazy family members thought this was a great idea. Our crazy family members thought it was ridiculous.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

I need a ruling on this

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:31 pm

According to my wife’s friends that we hung out with this weekend: you make a list of the gifts you want and you send it to family. Don’t let them pick what toys to get your kid.

meow

I need a ruling on this

Postby meow » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:35 pm

Yes. We make an amazon list. It is almost idiot proof. Almost

Willie Kool

I need a ruling on this

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Kinda contrary to the whole traditional idea of gift-giving, no?

Not only are you expected to give gifts, you're also told exactly what gifts to give. And if you go off-list, you're an idiot.

count2infinity

I need a ruling on this

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:16 pm

Found the dadhole that gives a drum set to a kid for Christmas...

dodint

I need a ruling on this

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:23 pm

:lol:

shafnutz05

I need a ruling on this

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:57 pm

While we're talking about wasteful things that only exist because of females, dodint, shad and Troy, we got a lot of gifts for our kids this year from parents of other kids who don't know us or our children particularly well.

So of course my wife, who is one of those god damn nice people, will always go right out to the store that night to buy a reciprocal gift. F that. Thanks for the gift but the line has been drawn and you're on the wrong side. Merry Xmas.
Now see, I actually agree with you here. If you decide to get my kid a gift for whatever reason...great. But don't expect anything in return.

meow

I need a ruling on this

Postby meow » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:06 pm

And if you go off-list, you're an idiot.
Pretty much, yeah

slappybrown

I need a ruling on this

Postby slappybrown » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:36 pm

GQ Magazine‏Verified account
@GQMagazine
Follow Follow @GQMagazine
More
It's brick out there: Beat the cold with these stylish face beanies http://gq.mn/7ZifWyU
"brick" in this context is apparently "very cold"

imo, the ruling on this usage is:

slappybrown

I need a ruling on this

Postby slappybrown » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:37 pm

this is sub-skellington imo