I need a ruling on this

obhave

I need a ruling on this

Postby obhave » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:12 am

we need obhave in here...

@obhave
I went back four pages to see what I was supposed to rule on, and realized it was a discussion on psi. Agree with you in general, but it sounds like the CMU student missed a couple basic physics lessons.

# is called "hash" in Ireland and England, so I object to it being common use for pounds (lbs). I would be confused if I read that, but apparently that shows how little I bake.

I wear very dark jeans, nice shoes, and a blouse for business casual or a simple dress. Women's privilege?

columbia

I need a ruling on this

Postby columbia » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:40 am

Not sure of the engineering physics curriculum, by I had mechanics and then heat/waves/optics in semester 2. It's all a blur now.

robbiestoupe

I need a ruling on this

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:47 pm

Physics 101 and 102 were a joke for MechE's like me because it was a watered down version of mechanical engineering. It got real interesting when I took a Classic Mechanics class. That was well beyond my learning ability. Orbital vectors, celestial dynamics...shudder. I believe I took 4 different calculus courses, but this was on the order of calculus 26.

tifosi77

I need a ruling on this

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:53 pm

I regard any mathematics above algebra in much the same way that I imagine a cod regards anything on land.

Willie Kool

I need a ruling on this

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Physics 101 and 102 were a joke for MechE's like me because it was a watered down version of mechanical engineering. It got real interesting when I took a Classic Mechanics class. That was well beyond my learning ability. Orbital vectors, celestial dynamics...shudder. I believe I took 4 different calculus courses, but this was on the order of calculus 26.
Classical Mechanics was one of my favorites. Aced that sucker. The prof even remembered me like 10+ years later when I ran into him.

robbiestoupe

I need a ruling on this

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:31 am

Classical Mechanics was one of my favorites. Aced that sucker. The prof even remembered me like 10+ years later when I ran into him.
Then my professor must have sucked. The average grade in the class was around a 40%. Yes, there was a slight curve.

MrKennethTKangaroo

I need a ruling on this

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:52 am

I remember when this was a good thread

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

I need a ruling on this

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:53 am

I don't.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

I need a ruling on this

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:54 am

Here's one.... when does it become acceptable to not go home for the holidays?

Is it age? Is it distance you live away from home? Is it having a child/children?

DigitalGypsy66

I need a ruling on this

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:57 am

Yes, when it's time to make your own holiday traditions (i.e. you have kids) - that's when it's acceptable to skip the trip home for holidays. However, we do visit my family for Thanksgiving and do Christmas with my mother-in-law.

Silentom

I need a ruling on this

Postby Silentom » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:58 am

I think kids and grand-kids of your own, as well.

nocera

I need a ruling on this

Postby nocera » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:58 am

I'm considering having kids just so I don't feel obligated to travel on a holiday. That's a good reason, right?

Silentom

I need a ruling on this

Postby Silentom » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:59 am

:face:

DigitalGypsy66

I need a ruling on this

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:59 am

Absolutely. Travelling long distances with kids on a tight holiday schedule sucks balls.

count2infinity

I need a ruling on this

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:03 am

Currently my parents live just over an hour away from us, so that's not a huge deal. It can be a day trip and not necessarily on the specific holiday, but to go to visit my in-laws in Cleveland. That requires finding a dog sitter (my father in law won't let dogs in the house), a day to drive out, a day to drive back, etc. I'm sure we'll still go for Christmas, but trying to make that trip every year for Thanksgiving isn't happening.

Silentom

I need a ruling on this

Postby Silentom » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:08 am

That also requires going to Cleaveland.

mikey

I need a ruling on this

Postby mikey » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:08 am

Home? You don't have like a designated spot where someone hosts a holiday...?

I mean, I'm not one to talk...I moved away for college at 18, my parents split immediately thereafter (it was a long time coming, they just lived together until I graduated high school...the marriage probably ended a good five years before that) and there's been nothing to go back to (in terms of parents) since...and my grandparents and what not don't live in that immediate area either...

That said, there's a designated Thanksgiving host for instance on my mom's side and whoever can make it flocks over to there...I assumed that was at least semi-standard...then again, I'm not sure I had the standard family scene for most of my life...

Silentom

I need a ruling on this

Postby Silentom » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:10 am

That said, there's a designated Thanksgiving host for instance on my mom's side and whoever can make it flocks over to there...I assumed that was at least semi-standard...then again, I'm not sure I had the standard family scene for most of my life...
My wife's side does this. We go to her Aunt's every year (which is only about 30 mins away, so it's not bad).

count2infinity

I need a ruling on this

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:13 am

I suppose my parent's house is the designated spot on my side of the family, but with having a sister living in Vermont, a brother living in NYC, a sister living in North Carolina, the entire family getting together on one particular day doesn't happen very often. Maybe that will change when we start having kids.

We do Christmas with my in-laws every year. Christmas eve, my wife's brother-in-law and I cook up a feast for the entire family (~20-25 people). I can see that tradition continuing even with having kids as it's a prime opportunity for our kids to play with their cousins, but beyond that, I can't see going home for Thanksgiving once we have a child. My parents can come to us if they want to. :lol:

RonnieFranchise

I need a ruling on this

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:35 am

Absolutely. Travelling long distances with kids on a tight holiday schedule sucks balls.
We need to leave at 9 AM to get to Williamsport for Thanksgiving dinner at 1 PM.

Inevitably we are still at home at 10. Every. Time. (Except this year we’re not going)

dodint

I need a ruling on this

Postby dodint » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:00 am

Now that we're back home, particularly the first year, we're the shiny new toy and our holiday attendance request list is pretty ridiculous. We established, and have been saying from the start, that we'll do the laps on Thanksgiving but Christmas is ours. We're not leaving the house, commence egg nogg at 9am.

It kind of works for us because my sister, who had the first grand kid this year, is already tussling with my Mom about which house the grand kid is spending Christmas morning (and who is invited for that)...

nocera

I need a ruling on this

Postby nocera » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:02 am

Now that we're back home, particularly the first year, we're the shiny new toy and our holiday attendance request list is pretty ridiculous. We established, and have been saying from the start, that we'll do the laps on Thanksgiving but Christmas is ours. We're not leaving the house, commence egg nogg at 9am.
This is something I'd love to establish but how do you do that without hurting any feelings?

columbia

I need a ruling on this

Postby columbia » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:04 am

Visit for a bit on Christmas Eve.

count2infinity

I need a ruling on this

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:07 am

We told our parents we're staying home for Thanksgiving this year and neither really said much about it other than "enjoy!" I invited my mom up if she and my dad wanted to come for a visit, but she said she wouldn't be able to. Oh well... now I get to cook a yummy dinner and not worry about offending my mom by not eating much because she's a lousy cook.

willeyeam

I need a ruling on this

Postby willeyeam » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:10 am

This is my first one in a while that I'll have to figure something out with the gf. Luckily her parents live about a mile from mine, so we could do both. My mom is a very good cook and there's no way I'm missing hers though so dinner better be at different times