I need a ruling on this

skullman80

I need a ruling on this

Postby skullman80 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:27 am

Eh, it was an important moment in their country's history. Whether or not they were around for it is irrelevant.

I would agree that honoring FDNY/NYPD would be better though, like they did last night during SNF
The SNF stuff makes sense and I totally get that.

In general I guess I just hate the fake patriotism that most people do. There's no real meaning behind it, it's all commercialized stuff.

I'm not angry over it, but it all rings so shallow to me cause it's never genuine.
What is the difference between fake patriotism and patriotism?
You can tell pretty easily if someone is genuinely patriotic and proud of their country and or their service by how they don't make it their identity or entire personality.

My grandfather was a proud dude. He served in WW2. You would never have known he even served unless you had a deep conversation with him. He never talked about it unless asked and even then it was rare. He never asked for special treatment etc. He loved his country and loved serving it but he never yelled about it from the rooftops.

Then you have the bozos who wear gaudy flag apparel, yell usa is the best over ahd over and drive huge trucks with flag decals all over them. Most of these people would never actually do anything to help/serve the country they yell so loudly about. Pretty easy to pick out IMO.

King Colby

I need a ruling on this

Postby King Colby » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:30 am

Let’s take this a step further and stop playing the anthem at youth sports. Time is valuable. Play the game
Do they do this? I never remember having the anthem played except for very few instances at a travel tournament or something. And once in Somerset they played both anthems while waiting for the refs to show up lol
I had to listen to at least one anthem prior to every single hockey game I ever played from the time I was a mini mite until I retired.
No way. If you grew up around pittsburgh which I'm pretty sure you did, and considering we are of similar age, this ain't true daddy

King Colby

I need a ruling on this

Postby King Colby » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:32 am

Eh, it was an important moment in their country's history. Whether or not they were around for it is irrelevant.

I would agree that honoring FDNY/NYPD would be better though, like they did last night during SNF

In general I guess I just hate the fake patriotism that most people do. There's no real meaning behind it, it's all commercialized stuff.

I'm not angry over it, but it all rings so shallow to me cause it's never genuine.
You can tell pretty easily if someone is genuinely patriotic and proud of their country and or their service by how they don't make it their identity or entire personality.

My grandfather was a proud dude. He served in WW2. You would never have known he even served unless you had a deep conversation with him. He never talked about it unless asked and even then it was rare. He never asked for special treatment etc. He loved his country and loved serving it but he never yelled about it from the rooftops.

Then you have the bozos who wear gaudy flag apparel, yell usa is the best over ahd over and drive huge trucks with flag decals all over them. Most of these people would never actually do anything to help/serve the country they yell so loudly about. Pretty easy to pick out IMO.
My grandfather was also a WWII vet and he wouldn't wear flag apparel as he saw it disrespectful. He flew a flag on his front porch but that's about it.

So basically fake patriotism is country-concert going d-bags who say things like "Merica"

skullman80

I need a ruling on this

Postby skullman80 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:38 am

My grandfather was also a WWII vet and he wouldn't wear flag apparel as he saw it disrespectful. He flew a flag on his front porch but that's about it.

So basically fake patriotism is country-concert going d-bags who say things like "Merica"
Sure, I guess? Lol.

I'm just saying you can easily pick those people out in a crowd and there are plenty of them in the world....and they annoy me, but I do my best to just ignore them.

MR25

I need a ruling on this

Postby MR25 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:46 am

The thing is kids playing little league have zero connection to 9/11. It means nothing to them .. and why should it?

I get the sentiment, but for little league it's nothing but try hard fake patriotism.
That's sort of the whole idea behind the "never forget" stuff. I used to poo poo that, especially when we were closer to 2001. But now that most people in their 20s have no real memory of 9/11, I get it. It's not a reminder for the people who lived through it.
Basically Pearl Harbor for our generation, if you think about it that way.

Eagerly awaiting the eventual Sopranos reboot in 20 years where Pauly Walnuts says "Word to the wise, remembah 9/11" to Tony B after he tries to open a hookah shop with a Muslim guy.

nocera

I need a ruling on this

Postby nocera » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:59 am

The thing is kids playing little league have zero connection to 9/11. It means nothing to them .. and why should it?

I get the sentiment, but for little league it's nothing but try hard fake patriotism.
That's sort of the whole idea behind the "never forget" stuff. I used to poo poo that, especially when we were closer to 2001. But now that most people in their 20s have no real memory of 9/11, I get it. It's not a reminder for the people who lived through it.

Eagerly awaiting the eventual Sopranos reboot in 20 years where Pauly Walnuts says "Word to the wise, remembah 9/11" to Tony B after he tries to open a hookah shop with a Muslim guy.
I would say "just wait til we get the films about it" but those came out in 2006.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

I need a ruling on this

Postby count2infinity » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:17 am

I look at the calendar and I say, "oh man... 22 years ago. wow." I would imagine when my five year old gets old enough to think about what the date is, 9/11 will come and go as even less than my reaction to it. She and her kids will likely see it the same way I see the bombing of Pearl Harbor. It's a day in American history, but I don't need to do anything about it or act differently that day. I don't get the day off work and she won't get the day off school to memorialize it.

It's time to move on, imo.

RonnieFranchise

I need a ruling on this

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:40 am

I guess that's sort of my point. I remember it on my own, I think a bit about those who died and it brings back memories of how that day felt. When I think about being in the cafeteria at work and what it was like to see the towers fall on the big screen, and having no idea what else was coming, I guarantee I'll never forget. I just don't feel the need to make some demonstration to prove it.

But, I also don't fly a flag at the house or have a sticker with stars, stripes and a skull on the back of my SUV, either.

faftorial

I need a ruling on this

Postby faftorial » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:01 am

Maybe if we had directed our anger at the Saudi's and not the Iraqis.

nocera

I need a ruling on this

Postby nocera » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:24 pm

I just saw a hotel's social media post promoting free popcorn in the lobby from noon-3 "in remembrance of those we lost on 9/11." That might be a bit worse than youth soccer uniforms.

meecrofilm

I need a ruling on this

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:29 pm

Incredible.

mikey

I need a ruling on this

Postby mikey » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:31 pm

If we pay for popcorn, the terrorists win...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

I need a ruling on this

Postby meow » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:35 pm

Yeah. Pete Davidson’s dad didn’t die so I would have to pay for hotel lobby popcorn

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

I need a ruling on this

Postby meow » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:28 am

my in-laws got into town last night. we decided to order take-out from our local mexican place. we order take-out every friday from this place. we are regulars to the point that when mrs meow calls and they recognize her number and answer the phone with "hi mrs meow! do you want your usual?"

MIL wants to pay. cool thanks. she gives me her card and I go pick it up. total is like $77 and some change. I tip to round it up to an even $80. I get back home and give her the receipt and her card back. I make sure to thank her. she looks at the receipt and goes "oh we don't tip on takeout." I said, "oh really? we also tip a few bucks at this place since they treat us so well." then she was her typical ***** self the rest of the night.

I recognize I sort of spent her money with a tip, but come on now. it was like $2.17 or something. am I the dadhole?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

I need a ruling on this

Postby count2infinity » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:57 am

Nah. You’re good. If it’s under $5, and you explained that this place treats you and your family well. That should be enough.

Nuge

I need a ruling on this

Postby Nuge » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:05 am

my in-laws got into town last night. we decided to order take-out from our local mexican place. we order take-out every friday from this place. we are regulars to the point that when mrs meow calls and they recognize her number and answer the phone with "hi mrs meow! do you want your usual?"

MIL wants to pay. cool thanks. she gives me her card and I go pick it up. total is like $77 and some change. I tip to round it up to an even $80. I get back home and give her the receipt and her card back. I make sure to thank her. she looks at the receipt and goes "oh we don't tip on takeout." I said, "oh really? we also tip a few bucks at this place since they treat us so well." then she was her typical ***** self the rest of the night.

I recognize I sort of spent her money with a tip, but come on now. it was like $2.17 or something. am I the dadhole?
I’ve been in this exact situation before. I don’t think you’re in the wrong, but I usually try to have some cash for a tip just to avoid any unpleasantness.

skullman80

I need a ruling on this

Postby skullman80 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:11 am

Yeah your MIL is being silly. You did nothing wrong.

skullman80

I need a ruling on this

Postby skullman80 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:12 am

Your MIL is being an ass you did nothing wrong.

shafnutz05

I need a ruling on this

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:18 am

Your MIL is being an ass you did nothing wrong.
:thumb:

genoscoif

I need a ruling on this

Postby genoscoif » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:26 am

Question...if you were paying, would you have tipped more than the round up?

If not, then I think you're cool. Habit, what they expect at the restaurant, under $5, nice round numbers.

If you'd normally tip more, then you kinda knew you were in a gray area and probably should've tipped out in cash, if possible, asked the MIL, or not tipped at all.

Ultimately, the right thing happened. Your regular restaurant got a tip, so not a dadhole.

How does the fairer meow feel about her mom's stance?

Sam's Drunk Dog

I need a ruling on this

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:32 am

Unless she specifically said not to add a tip prior to you doing so, you did nothing wrong, especially since you didn't even tip that much.

count2infinity

I need a ruling on this

Postby count2infinity » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:42 am

Here's the thing... when parents or in-laws are visiting YOUR house, to see YOUR family, under YOUR roof, their rules don't apply. They can leave that sh*t at home.

MWB

I need a ruling on this

Postby MWB » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:43 am

I hate how some people let something this minor affect the rest of their night. Even if she's pissed about it, she needs to realize it's not a big deal and move on from it.

King Colby

I need a ruling on this

Postby King Colby » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:45 am

I'm impressed you were able to find dinner for 4 adults and 2 kids for $77

Rylan

I need a ruling on this

Postby Rylan » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:54 am

If its a place i am a regular, i wont let other people pay because i dont need them messing things up with my routine or reputation. They can pay for other things.