MrKennethTKangaroo

I need a ruling on this

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:49 am

This is a social media plant/grow

mikey

I need a ruling on this

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:50 am

"Thoughts and prayers"

Not only is it mostly fake, empty reflection...but it's also a handy way to insert one's self into a social media day that has nothing to do with the individual...you can't lose a day of attention this way...put yourself in the story...

"Yeah, I was 3 when 9/11 and it hit me so hard I became potty trained that day...thoughts and prayers to the victims and families, I'm always thinking of you..."

shmenguin

I need a ruling on this

Postby shmenguin » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:52 am

Am I a bad person for not wanting to read everyone's 9/11 remembrances? Like, I just met [this person] about a year ago, I don't want to be burdened with their take on our collective sorrow.

I think I cynically feel like people are trying too hard to appear reflective and they're not doing it in a sincere way. It feels like they are farming for likes/upvotes. Most of them are not personally reflective, just recitations of rhetoric.

These are folks that I like and respect; I'm just not open to being receptive to this at all.

Am I wrong or what? I keep it to myself, other than this post.
what's there even to say at this point? i think if you want to eulogize someone you lost, and you want to do it every year, then i don't have any opinion about that. i hope it helps. but if you're coming in with the generic, "can you believe...how bout that" stuff, i just don't see what new ground we're covering, or how that's even an emotional release. it's "thoughts and prayers" territory.

DigitalGypsy66

I need a ruling on this

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:12 am

My only issue is that if we don't pause to reflect and share these experiences, they will be forgotten.

We have college freshmen that were born after 9/11. We've had several years with students that have no recollection of that dark day.

My sons' age group makes casual jokes about it - why don't we get the day off if it was so important etc. They just have no point of reference, as most of their social studies classes stop around Vietnam or the end of the Cold War. As public schools are all so regimented with standardized tests and assessment priorities, time isn't made to teach outside of the mandated curriculum. I distinctly remember my social studies teacher putting our normal classwork on hold as he told us about Gaddafi and Libya after Reagan ordered bombing strikes after a series of plane hijackings and bombings in 1986. That would never happen today, and we are lesser for it.

But is the right way to remember on a Facebook wall, grasping for likes and shares? I don't think it is.

mikey

I need a ruling on this

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:16 am

Yeah, I share the story of where I was and all that when pressed...but I don't do it on social media, I don't wax poetic about feeling for the victims...it's been 18 years, I don't think about it anymore...it was tragic, I'll never forget the image of it happening live, it's etched in my head forever...but I'm not going to pretend that I'm burning a candle for you every night...I'm not.

shmenguin

I need a ruling on this

Postby shmenguin » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:34 am

as far as overall impact goes, the loss of life is secondary at this point to how the event shaped the last 18 years, culturally and politically.

so it's less, "i saw those people jump out of windows" and more, "this f***ed everything up so much for so long"

CBear3

I need a ruling on this

Postby CBear3 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:40 am

I think it's different than anything in American history.

18 Years after Pearl Harbor was 1958. We'd beaten Japan and the Axis, already been through Korea. Sure, there was the Cold War, but the negative feelings toward communism didn't stem from Pearl Harbor.

18 Years after 9/11, we're still in the same war it started. Policy being made today still has its roots in that attack. Nobody feared the Germans or Japanese 20 years afterwards. After World War 1 it took total regime change in Germany before there was any apprehension about them, and even then there was a split concerning whether they were even the bad guys.

I think that perpetual war creates very unique feelings in people. I'm sure some of the Facebook posts are farming for a pat on the back, some are because they think it's what they're supposed to do culturally, but there's still plenty of genuine remembrance of an incident we still feel the effects of today.

willeyeam

I need a ruling on this

Postby willeyeam » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:02 pm

Am I a bad person for not wanting to read everyone's 9/11 remembrances? Like, I just met [this person] about a year ago, I don't want to be burdened with their take on our collective sorrow.

I think I cynically feel like people are trying too hard to appear reflective and they're not doing it in a sincere way. It feels like they are farming for likes/upvotes. Most of them are not personally reflective, just recitations of rhetoric.

These are folks that I like and respect; I'm just not open to being receptive to this at all.

Am I wrong or what? I keep it to myself, other than this post.
This is kinda how I feel about trotting out veterans and everyone standing at games. Just a forced feeling to me

tifosi77

I need a ruling on this

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:24 pm

I think it's different than anything in American history.

18 Years after Pearl Harbor was 1958. We'd beaten Japan and the Axis, already been through Korea. Sure, there was the Cold War, but the negative feelings toward communism didn't stem from Pearl Harbor.

18 Years after 9/11, we're still in the same war it started. Policy being made today still has its roots in that attack. Nobody feared the Germans or Japanese 20 years afterwards. After World War 1 it took total regime change in Germany before there was any apprehension about them, and even then there was a split concerning whether they were even the bad guys.
Just adding more on to this: 18 years after WWI, Hitler was in power in Germany, and the Nazi war machine was spinning up. In addition to fighting in Korea, 18 years after WWII we were already in the waning years of Vietnam. 18 years after Vietnam, we were on the verge of ground conflict in Iraq. 18 years after that, we were nearly a decade into a different ground conflict in Iraq.

While many of those things share the linkage of the Cold War, we think of them as generational events, distinct from one and other in very clear ways. We're still unpacking 9/11 baggage, culturally and politically.

robbiestoupe

I need a ruling on this

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:32 pm

as far as overall impact goes, the loss of life is secondary at this point to how the event shaped the last 18 years, culturally and politically.

so it's less, "i saw those people jump out of windows" and more, "this f***ed everything up so much for so long"
is this the bad takes thread?

blackjack68

I need a ruling on this

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:28 pm

Wanting to not read it is human. Announcing it does make you a bad human.

Some people were severely affected by the events of that day. And while I was not directly affected, the blue of the sky is burned in my mind. The impact of the second plane is burned in my mind. The collapsing of the towers is burned in my mind. And watching live while people made the impossible decision to leap from the top of the towers is forever etched in my memory.

I don’t just think about it on the anniversary.

Willie Kool

I need a ruling on this

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:17 pm

is this the bad takes thread?
Not a bad take. Perhaps not a wise choice to post it, but not a bad take.

robbiestoupe

I need a ruling on this

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:32 am

To each their own Willie, but I'll take the minor inconveniences over having to grieve for a lost loved one.

shmenguin

I need a ruling on this

Postby shmenguin » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:13 am

To each their own Willie, but I'll take the minor inconveniences over having to grieve for a lost loved one.
minor inconveniences? i'm more talking about how we started an endless war with countless casualties and how the nature of the federal government went further down the toilet.

i'm also not weighing that against losing a loved one. this is in the context of a pittsburgh hockey message board, where few of us (if any) lost someone close that day.

tifosi77

I need a ruling on this

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:50 am

The closest I got to losing so much as an acquaintance on 9/11 was three friends-of-friends in NY and the Pentagon, my best friend's sister had the second plane fly over her head as she was exiting the subway; three of the flights were destined for LA, so there was actually a local connection, as a large number of victims were Angelenos. But there is not a single one of us in the Western world that isn't still dealing with the consequences - daily - of the reaction to 9/11. Sometimes it's overt, sometimes it happens without us really being conscious of it. But it's with us every single day.

shoeshine boy

I need a ruling on this

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:14 am

I'm pretty sure I know what most of the (serious) responses here will be but I just need my opinion validated on this:

my 20 year old niece wants to fly to Dallas by herself to meet some guy that she chats with on the interwebs. her dad and I are trying to convince her that this is not safe. the basic story is that this guy (supposedly the same age) is joining the Navy soon and they want to meet up before that happens. she says that his parents won't let him fly to ATL to meet her so he bought her an airline ticket to come to Dallas and see him. maybe I watch too much SVU but this throws up all kinds of red flags for me. :scared:
thoughts? suggestions? concerns?

DigitalGypsy66

I need a ruling on this

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:18 am

I have many thoughts, few suggestions, and plenty of concerns. :lol:

As long as she meets in public places, she should be fine. Make sure her phone is charged and Find my iPhone or the Android equivalent is on and enabled for family members to keep tabs on her.

It's not like she's 11 and driving her brother's car 300 miles to meet a dude she met on Snapchat... :pop:

mikey

I need a ruling on this

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:20 am

That kind of thing is more popular now than ever. If I was a woman and I realize that I'm more kidnappable than a military man, I'd probably pass on this. One of the biggest questions I have is: His parents (have an impact on the life of a 20-something? Weird) are letting him get deployed (or whatever) into the military, but he can't fly two hours to Atlanta...?

mamaemeritus

I need a ruling on this

Postby mamaemeritus » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:26 am

Female here. HUGE NOPE. That is ALL KINDS of shady.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

I need a ruling on this

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:29 am

smh no

nocera

I need a ruling on this

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:30 am

How old is he? His parents "won't let him" fly to Atlanta? He's about to join the Navy but isn't allowed to go to Atlanta?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

I need a ruling on this

Postby count2infinity » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:32 am

nocera

I need a ruling on this

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:35 am

shoeshine boy

I need a ruling on this

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:45 am

Make sure her phone is charged and Find my iPhone or the Android equivalent is on and enabled for family members to keep tabs on her.
hmmm...hadn't thought about this option. she constantly lets her iPhone run out of battery though so I'm not sure how effective this would be....

CBear3

I need a ruling on this

Postby CBear3 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:45 am

How old is he? His parents "won't let him" fly to Atlanta? He's about to join the Navy but isn't allowed to go to Atlanta?
That's what makes it shady.
Everything else about that post seems normal for the 21st century. While I was in college I met a girl online and our first meet was a Barnes & Noble, and our second was at her work where she knew where all the security cameras were.