I need a ruling on this

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

I need a ruling on this

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:22 am

I prefer to trust people and assume the best from them. It doesn't always work out (like here), but typically it works out just fine in the end.

robbiestoupe

I need a ruling on this

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:29 pm

That guy is a walking excuse machine. He had 20 more in his arsenal, so good for you for going with somebody else.

Our flooring guy was supposed to start in September, but last time I talked to him he's thinking early next year. I'll keep him bc he seems like a stand up guy that unfortunately went from 3 crews down to 1.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

I need a ruling on this

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:44 pm

That guy is a walking excuse machine. He had 20 more in his arsenal, so good for you for going with somebody else.

Our flooring guy was supposed to start in September, but last time I talked to him he's thinking early next year. I'll keep him bc he seems like a stand up guy that unfortunately went from 3 crews down to 1.
I don't mind delays. I even told the head guy that I understand sh*t happens. What I don't do well with is lack of communication and broken appointments. Actually, of all the excuses, I think the first one was the worst. It's an entry way door... wtf did you think it was? How do you not know you're going to need a big truck or delivery van to bring it?

King Colby

I need a ruling on this

Postby King Colby » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:45 pm

This is not atypical of contractors. I'd say 80% are this

Kane

I need a ruling on this

Postby Kane » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:54 pm

My old boss would use every excuse in the book to delay stuff until he had guys available. He scheduled jobs based on who was screaming at him the loudest.

LeopardLetang

I need a ruling on this

Postby LeopardLetang » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:09 pm

Yeah it's frustrating but the person that speaks up and complains gets the service. When you're too busy to take on all your business it defaults to what problem is staring you in the face at them moment. If you're cool and sound ok delaying then you often get pushed back if needed. Unless your job is a good profit one. Knowing this I still can't get myself to complain until it gets out of control. I always feel like if I'm pushy they'll give me worse service and feel justified. There's a fine line.

tifosi77

I need a ruling on this

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:12 am

When we were up in SF we booked a contractor to give us a quote for bathroom renos. He sent us an estimate that included 50% down, and prepayment in installments for all work. And I said, "CA law says that for a project of this cost and scope you can't collect more than 10% up front, and installments are to be paid for services rendered not services planned for next week. I'm not responsible for your cashflow." He responded saying he had Super Special Insurance Bond which allowed him to charge 50% up front. I said, "Super Special Insurance Bond is specifically limited to large-scale commercial developers and there are only 13 of them in the entire state; and Carlos McRandoNutz is not one of the names on the list." To which he responded, "I'm afraid I cannot do business with you". Then like a year later (after we had moved back to LA) I started getting solicitation calls from his office asking if we were still in the market for a contractor.

MrKennethTKangaroo

I need a ruling on this

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:41 pm

What is the minimum amount of time you are comfortable with for a connecting flight? I’m looking at two flights, same price, departure times within 30 minutes. One flight has a 50 minute layover in Detroit, the other has a 3 hour layover. I dont want to layover for 2 hours. But i dont want to sit around and worry about that relatively short layover

RonnieFranchise

I need a ruling on this

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:03 pm

Depends on the airport. Detroit I would say you will be fine with 50 min. Main issue is if you arrive in Concourse A and connect in B/C (or vice versa) then you have to walk between terminals.

Atlanta, O'Hare... I'd want an hour.

Caveat of course is that wherever you connect, if your first flight is 1/2 hour late you're probably not making a 50 min connection.

faftorial

I need a ruling on this

Postby faftorial » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:06 pm

Airports are covid transmission areas. I won't go in one until this is over.

Shyster

I need a ruling on this

Postby Shyster » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:27 pm

I usually look for at least an hour for a layover, although I might be able to accept less if I knew the connection distance would be short. For example, because DTW is a Delta hub, Delta flights there could arrive/depart from any of Concourses A, B, or C. Pretty much everyone else uses Concourse D in the North Terminal. So if I'm connecting through DTW on United, I know that I'll be in the same terminal for everything, but connecting on Delta could be a longer walk. Conversely, if you are switching between Delta and another carrier, I'd schedule at least two hours because a terminal change is essentially guaranteed.

Also depends on the time of year. Am I connecting though someplace like Chicago / Denver / Detroit in the winter or Houston / Atlanta / Dallas during the peak of summer thunderstorm season? I think I'd want extra time in either case.

MrKennethTKangaroo

I need a ruling on this

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:32 pm

Depends on the airport. Detroit I would say you will be fine with 50 min. Main issue is if you arrive in Concourse A and connect in B/C (or vice versa) then you have to walk between terminals.

Atlanta, O'Hare... I'd want an hour.

Caveat of course is that wherever you connect, if your first flight is 1/2 hour late you're probably not making a 50 min connection.
Yeah it would be a first flight of the day situatio (6:30 or something). But it is in January, so the threat of bad weather in January in pittsburgh is real.

mikey

I need a ruling on this

Postby mikey » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:33 am

I've done as little as 25 minutes before...I think 40+ is a pretty fair number...

RonnieFranchise

I need a ruling on this

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:33 am

Also assume this is Delta, but on Southwest I want as much time as possible so I don’t board late and have to ride dodint on my second flight.

Tomas

I need a ruling on this

Postby Tomas » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:18 pm

Since I regularly force a good portion of my graduate classes to re-take the course, students are typically very tense before taking my exam. So, one method that has worked for me to lighten the pre exam mood has been giving my audience movie-themed pep-talks right before the exams. I have been noticing, though, that less and less people (my audience is usually mid-to-late 20's for the full time class and mid-to-late 30s for the exec class) actually understand that there are movies that inspired the speeches.

I have already resigned to the fact that 50+% of each class will try to correct me that "Germans did NOT bomb Pearl Harbor." (even the 30-40 something crowd!). Nobody recognizes "if you put your effort... I don't care what the score says at the end of the exam - in my book you'll gonna be...", either.

I am not that surprised that "You were born to be financial economists, every one of ya... I'm sick and tired hearing about what a difficult course..." does not get recognized (it's a niche movie).

I am somewhat surprised that "when we add up all those exam points...that's gonna make make the ****' difference..." does not ring a bell. Same for "Pain heals...glory of passing Corporate Financial Management lasts forever".

BUT WHAT SHOCKED ME yesterday that at least 1/3 of the class did not seem to get why "there is no nobility in ignorance" and why I'd sent them to go get a job in %^&# McDonald's...!
I would have expected that 2013 is not that long time ago.

So - is it normal for 25+ year old crowd to have such a relatively short "cultural history span"?

(Just to make sure - I am not complaining - even the people who do not understand the connections generally laugh a lot and get relaxed - plus in their eyes, I get the full credit for coming up with those quotes. :D )

count2infinity

I need a ruling on this

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:58 pm

You're old... that's my ruling.

Nuge

I need a ruling on this

Postby Nuge » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:56 pm

I've noticed that a lot of kids don't watch movies now, they just watch stuff on youtube. They don't watch new movies, let alone older movies.

MrKennethTKangaroo

I need a ruling on this

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:21 pm

maybe try some blazing saddles quotes. im sure that would go over gr8 with the college crowd

DigitalGypsy66

I need a ruling on this

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:35 pm

I've noticed that a lot of kids don't watch movies now, they just watch stuff on youtube. They don't watch new movies, let alone older movies.
Yep. My kids have to be forced to family movie night or to a theater. Not as big of a problem pre-covid though.

Also, no video stores. Sure, you have a larger amount of content on Netflix or Hulu etc., but a lot of it is recent. No stumbling across some random movie from the 80s on Netflix, like we used to at the video store or on late night cable.

dodint

I need a ruling on this

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:40 pm

Youtube probably makes up about 70% of my viewing time. At the expense of traditional TV, though. We still watch movies pretty regularly.

Makes sense though. Youtube isn't generally episodic, and neither are movies. I can only track one or two TV series at a time with as busy as my wife and I are. The only reason I'm working through Friday Night Lights at a reasonable pace is because I usually watch it alone when the wife is at work.

Tomas

I need a ruling on this

Postby Tomas » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:49 pm

You're old... that's my ruling.
Oh yea?? :D

nocera

I need a ruling on this

Postby nocera » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:54 pm

Wondering why a 25 year old doesn't recognize a quote from a 43 year old film. That's like somebody wondering why a 25 year old me doesn't recognize a film quote from 1940.

Tomas

I need a ruling on this

Postby Tomas » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:59 pm

Wondering why a 25 year old doesn't recognize a quote from a 43 year old film. That's like somebody wondering why a 25 year old me doesn't recognize a film quote from 1940.
No, I get the Animal House. But, business movie earning $0.25B+ from 8 years ago surprises me...

nocera

I need a ruling on this

Postby nocera » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:02 pm

:lol: I saw Wolf of Wall Street when it was released, I'm pretty good with movie quotes and other pop culture ****, and I had no idea what that was from.

Tomas

I need a ruling on this

Postby Tomas » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:09 pm

:lol: I saw Wolf of Wall Street when it was released, I'm pretty good with movie quotes and other pop culture ****, and I had no idea what that was from.