Investing, Stock Market and Retirement Planning Thread

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:30 pm

Yes, that's it. Thought it was quackery when I heard the ads.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:19 pm

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:26 pm

I just had some KFC and bought some more VT. It's kind of fun to make discrestionary buys, when things are flying down the slip and slide.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:55 pm

Is this fall the 7 year drop year?

1980, 1987, 1994, 2001, 2008, 2015
Not quite fall yet but the pattern seems to be happening.

See you all in 2022.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:15 pm

It's never too early to think about retiring. ;)

Reframing the Social Security Decision
So if you can wait until 70, you can enjoy your money now by spending down your portfolio at a faster rate while deferring Social Security, which is like buying a deferred-income annuity at a bargain price. What’s more, you will have lowered the probability you will run out of money.

This strategy is also validated by academic research by the Stanford Center of Longevity. Recent papers support delaying Social Security benefits, and coauthor Steve Vernon told me their work “confirms the desirability of the strategy to use retirement savings to delay starting Social Security [benefits].”
http://blog.aarp.org/2015/09/02/reframi ... ecision-2/

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:54 am

I'm really god awful horrible about saving money. I know this, so I dump a lot into my TSP (401k) knowing that if some true emergency happens I can access the money if I need it.

That said, I want to build up an emergency fund. The kind of thing where I can support unemployment for a few months, or fund a move if I take a position back east. Are there any decent online savings accounts I can divert my money to where I can just leave it and forget about it? With my payroll system I can setup allotments so the money is gone before I even see it. I suppose I should setup a money market account or buy mutual funds with the money, but if there exists a savings account out there with a respectable yield that'd be the easiest way to start. Looking for a service that is just a savings account, I don't need a bill payer, checks, FICO monitoring, etc. I have an old account at PSECU I might use if there isn't an internet based solution.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:58 pm

Au.element

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:03 pm

I'm really god awful horrible about saving money. I know this, so I dump a lot into my TSP (401k) knowing that if some true emergency happens I can access the money if I need it.

That said, I want to build up an emergency fund. The kind of thing where I can support unemployment for a few months, or fund a move if I take a position back east. Are there any decent online savings accounts I can divert my money to where I can just leave it and forget about it? With my payroll system I can setup allotments so the money is gone before I even see it. I suppose I should setup a money market account or buy mutual funds with the money, but if there exists a savings account out there with a respectable yield that'd be the easiest way to start. Looking for a service that is just a savings account, I don't need a bill payer, checks, FICO monitoring, etc. I have an old account at PSECU I might use if there isn't an internet based solution.
i put my cash in capitalone360.com

i set up the account when it used to be ING and you got 4.5% interest. it was so sweet. and then right when i started making better money, the market crashed and the rate plummeted. it's now at .75%, but i still use the account because i'm sort of in financial limbo, and don't know if i need my money accessible or not right now.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:03 pm

Nice, thanks.

I usually prefer to put stuff in the stock market, but that's too active. I'll tinker with it, see something shiny, sell it off and have no savings. ;)

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:59 am

Vanguard could be forced to raise fees to cover taxes: plaintiff's expert
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/ ... BN20150925

That seems to be a sketchy argument, but I suppose we'll see.

@Tomas Any thoughts on this?

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:40 pm

HUGE, absolutely HUGE decision today by the Southern District of NY.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2015/10/gover ... ding-case/

This is extremely bad for the US market.

This and what I expect to be an extremely poor "earnings season" do not bode well for the market. As I write this the VIX is trading at $19.40 I expect a significant swing upwards in the next two-three weeks.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:50 pm

HUGE, absolutely HUGE decision today by the Southern District of NY.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2015/10/gover ... ding-case/

This is extremely bad for the US market.

This and what I expect to be an extremely poor "earnings season" do not bode well for the market. As I write this the VIX is trading at $19.40 I expect a significant swing upwards in the next two-three weeks.
Can you give an abbreviated version of what that case was?

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:19 pm

Insider trading... When a broker or hedge fund acts on a tip, it's not considered "insider trading" unless they have first hand knowledge that the person giving the tip will materially benefit in some way from disclosing the information.

So if I'm the CEO of a company and I know that my company, which is trading at $10 a share, is going to be acquired by a competitor for $25/share, I can tell the pretty little waitress that I've been trying to bonk, or my gf's kids or anyone else where I don't stand to benefit directly, and that's NOT insider trading.

Tonight there's going to be a lot of parties at bars/pubs frequented by financial types.

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:00 pm

Federal Reserve meeting meetings are released here any minute. Watch for the market to make a slight move down and then recover.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:50 am

John Bogle's legacy: Falling prices everywhere
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/john-b ... beforebell

:thumb:

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:54 am

Re: Rollovers

This gentleman sent in some paperwork for a rollover a month or two ago. The paperwork was sent to Citizens, holder of old retirement account. kennythekangaroo has yet to hear from citizens (the old account) or vanguard (the new account). How long does this stupid process usually take?

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:56 am

The last time I did it (from a pension plan to IRA) was at least a month.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:03 am

It is a cumbersome process

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:05 am

I have an extreme dislike for all things Citizens bank. They are a bunch of ass hats.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:14 am

I'm in the process of buying back my military time, basically transferring the time I spent in the military to the federal retirement system. The process is somewhat convoluted and there is about 4 weeks between each stage of paperwork. It's best to just forget about it until you're notified that the next part needs to happen. ;)

It'll allow me to either retire early or have a larger pension, though, so it's worth the hassle I think.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:46 pm

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:17 pm

I'm and idiot but I'm intrigued by this story. How does this work that he owes when the stock went up?

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:30 pm

I'm and idiot but I'm intrigued by this story. How does this work that he owes when the stock went up?
The keyword here is that he sold the shares *short.* Shortselling basically means that you borrow the shares, sell them, and you hope that after the price falls, you buy she shares back, return them, and keep the profit. Of course, if you are wrong, and the price climbs instead, then you lose (because you have to buy the shares back at a higher price).

I think the MarketWatch story suggests that he sold the shares at $2, hoping that the company would quickly go bankrupt (and the share price would go to close to $0). Instead, the price went much, much higher.

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:18 pm

The keyword here is that he sold the shares *short.* Shortselling basically means that you borrow the shares, sell them, and you hope that after the price falls, you buy she shares back, return them, and keep the profit. Of course, if you are wrong, and the price climbs instead, then you lose (because you have to buy the shares back at a higher price).

I think the MarketWatch story suggests that he sold the shares at $2, hoping that the company would quickly go bankrupt (and the share price would go to close to $0). Instead, the price went much, much higher.
Recognize that if you buy 10 shares of a $20 stock, the worst that can happen is that that stock goes to zero and you lose $200.
If you short ten shares of that stock, your losses are theoretically unlimited as the stock "goes to the moon".

You wouldn't have wanted to short Apple at $7 a share in 1998 and then again in 2002.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:28 pm

Thanks Tomas and EPP. That answered my question.