Investing, Stock Market and Retirement Planning Thread

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:46 pm

FDX announces a $5bn share buyback.

In related news, ya boy won't earmark the bonus check for anything special.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:34 pm

Soooo do you buy puts of DJT? Would that be free money at this point?

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:46 pm

Quite the opposite. You probably couldn't pick a worse time to buy puts of this, in fact...

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:04 pm

Quite the opposite. You probably couldn't pick a worse time to buy puts of this, in fact...
Buy the dip you say?

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:15 pm

No, I don't. Especially if you don't believe in the product...which based on your - ahem - conduct in the political thread, it doesn't appear that you do haha

But options trading, especially what you're winking at, is not as simple as "hit the strike price by the expiry...and WIN!" - something like this won't have a lot in the option chain. So you're going to have some baked in theta decay (time) so you're going to pay for that. And then the biggest thing here, with a stock that is at - what - less than half (!) of its recent high is that you're trying to short a stock that already tanked. But worse, you're paying for what it went way up too...that's the vega of the deal.

Unless you went with some sort of crazy out of the money call/put (i.e. you think it's going to double this week or drop another 75%), it's just the absolute worst time to try to get value out of this in my opinion...

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:39 pm

I’m here for this kind of content. Thank you sir.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:47 pm

I still don't understand options trading

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:12 am

Nobody does.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:40 am

Any of yinz use SoFi for your banking?

Right now we use PNC. We get nothing on checking and like 0.01% APY for savings. I hadn't really thought about it because having PNC has been convenient for us due to having branches right here in town, but those are slowly dying and going to all ATM only branches anyways.

If I'm reading it correctly, SoFi has 0.5% on checking and 4.6% on savings. The only down side (seemingly) is if we need to withdraw large amounts of cash, which really never happens, we wouldn't have a bank to go and do that. But it's seems batsh*t crazy that these rates are available and for us to stick with PNC just for the 1 time ever few years we need to stop into the bank for something.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:41 am

Right now we use PNC. We get nothing on checking and like 0.01% APY for savings. I hadn't really thought about it because having PNC has been convenient for us due to having branches right here in town, but those are slowly dying and going to all ATM only branches anyways.

If I'm reading it correctly, SoFi has 0.5% on checking and 4.6% on savings. The only down side (seemingly) is if we need to withdraw large amounts of cash, which really never happens, we wouldn't have a bank to go and do that. But it's seems batsh*t crazy that these rates are available and for us to stick with PNC just for the 1 time ever few years we need to stop into the bank for something.
I have 4.5% in my PNC savings account. What type of account to you have?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:42 am

I have no idea... a standard one?

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:45 am

I have virtual wallet with performance select. 4.5% in my Growth account.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:47 am

There’s been a lot of grumbling nationwide about banks advertising high yield accounts and not actually switching people to those accounts

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:47 am

Ah, I have virtual wallet with performance spend? Or at least that's what my account says. Maybe we'll just apply for the high yield guy and stick with PNC. A lot less work that way.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:50 am

If you're worried about having access to a local bank, if you're able to, join a local credit union. You'd get better loan rates through one, and if you needed a large amount of cash, you'd be able to transfer between the new one and the CU. That's what we've been doing for as long as I can remember now.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:51 am

I don't use SoFi, but I use Discover which seems similar to what SoFi offers based on what you wrote. They provide a debit card, so if we need cash, we can go to Wawa and take out money with no fees. You can also transfer money from your savings to external accounts although there is a limit of 10 transfers a month. There is a delay, so you wouldn't be able to immediately access the funds, but that would be the only drawback.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:52 am

Keep in mind that you don’t have to switch checking accounts to take full advantage of high yield savings accounts offered on the web. Capital one, Marcus, etc won’t require you to open a deposit account to have access to good rates on savings.

That way you can maintain a checking account with a local presence and make more $$$ on the savings

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:01 am

If you're worried about having access to a local bank, if you're able to, join a local credit union. You'd get better loan rates through one, and if you needed a large amount of cash, you'd be able to transfer between the new one and the CU. That's what we've been doing for as long as I can remember now.
Hmm... my car loan is through a local credit union. I had to open and put $5 into an account in order to get the loan, so technically I'm a member of a local one. Interesting.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:01 am

My savings from PNC also has a monthly limit on the amount of transfers allowed. So if you were expecting to use it like a checking account that may not work.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:01 am

Hmm... my car loan is through a local credit union. I had to open and put $5 into an account in order to get the loan, so technically I'm a member of a local one. Interesting.
PSECU? They're great.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:02 am

Nah, a small local one here near Bellefonte.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:03 am

Well, PSECU is an option for you also I think. And they're really good.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:03 am

I've had PSECU since I was 14 years old. They're not my primarily banking institution but they're good to have in the back pocket.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:05 am

CUs are also good about not charging fees for things like cashier's checks, especially compared to traditional banks. For the most part, we've been very happy with ours. Marcus still annoys me, but there are benefits to using them. I can get around other transaction limits by pushing the money from them as opposed to pulling from the limiting bank.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:05 am

I've yet to find anyone who beats their loan products for cars. You basically just send them the VIN number that you want and then they send you a check. I have two current loans through them and their interest rates were the lowest of anywhere