Investing, Stock Market and Retirement Planning Thread

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:37 pm

Anyone reading AMC's financial statements for about 25 minutes would come to the conclusion that it will fail.
I am financial statement illiterate but aren't they analysis of what happened rather than an estimation of what will happen?

of course AMC's financials look bad now. We're in a pandemic, people aren't going to the movies. I'm hoping that they'll open up at some point this year and movies will be back

albeit, AMC was on the decline before the pandemic, but I think they have a chance to bounce back

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:20 pm

It would be a bummer if AMC shuttered, because they are the theatrical partner for Dolby Cinema. There's just no better way to see a movie imo.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:50 pm

Anyone reading AMC's financial statements for about 25 minutes would come to the conclusion that it will fail.
I am financial statement illiterate but aren't they analysis of what happened rather than an estimation of what will happen?

of course AMC's financials look bad now. We're in a pandemic, people aren't going to the movies. I'm hoping that they'll open up at some point this year and movies will be back

albeit, AMC was on the decline before the pandemic, but I think they have a chance to bounce back
yes, like all the textbooks say, a stock should be valued based on its future cash flows etc. etc. all that stuff you read on the I-net or investing for dummies is true.

that doesn't mean looking at a balance sheet or income statement or statement of cash flow can't help you forecast into the future.

As I mentioned a few pages ago, AMC has more than $5 billion in debt. It's 2019 EBITDA (back when things were normal) was around $750 million. A basic way to measure financial health is to look at cash flow leverage. There are a lot of different numerators and denominators, but basically the S&P as a whole is around 2.5x. AMC at the end of 2019 was 6.2x. The lower the number, the stronger the company. Their balance sheet equity (liabiliites to equity) also show that they have a lot of debt.

So to put it simply, even if you brushed aside the disaster of covid, AMC was facing and uphill battle. In oder to handle that debt load, they needed to either improve their cash flow or reduce the amount of debt on the balance sheet, by, like, a lot.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:24 pm

Movie pass baby, bring it back. That was a solid model right?

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:15 pm

What's everyone's opinion on Nokia?
Long hold, if at all.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:24 pm

Well the 20% I made on snapchat the last week has all been but washed away in the past hour

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:00 pm

r/wsb has completely changed their tune. They’re pretty much accepting that it’s done now

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:23 pm

Funny, I read a headline just 10 seconds ago that said it’s squeezing again. :lol:

I checked out wsb earlier, only looking at thread titles... what in the **** happened over there?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:40 pm

Funny, I read a headline just 10 seconds ago that said it’s squeezing again. :lol:

I checked out wsb earlier, only looking at thread titles... what in the **** happened over there?
WK posted earlier. I’m not exactly sure how Reddit works, but a bunch of the mods got canned by shadow mods who want to try to monetize the subreddit.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:05 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:09 pm

that registers a 0.1/10 for me

who cares

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:11 pm

That's about what I would have guessed.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:20 pm

Lol

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:27 pm

I feel like that's a personal attack but I don't get it

Before the GME thing RH was pretty respctable. They opened up the ability to invest to stocks to people who normally wouldn't think about it, which is commendable. I use TD and their UI looks pretty bad sometimes. Not that it matters a ton but it, like most brokers, have an archaic look and feel. RH is modern and sleek

If RH didn't exist, normies who never invested before GME still would've found a way to lose their money on another platform. They just gravitated to using RH since it, like I said, is a modern app compared to the others in the market

I also have a pretty laissez-faire attitude towards things like gambling because I like gambling (and I'm smart about it). Maybe that's inappropriate and selfish

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:47 pm

It was also the instant deposits that really got everyone on to RH for the GME run. If you didn't already have an account set up somewhere else, you couldn't get money in quick enough. With RH, once you link your account and initiate a transfer, you've got up to $1000 or $5000 to invest immediately.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:51 pm

WK posted earlier. I’m not exactly sure how Reddit works, but a bunch of the mods got canned by shadow mods who want to try to monetize the subreddit.
Looks like they set that new sub to private. Here's the original post that started it all.

https://archive.is/Q5Pqr

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:56 pm

Invested my GME and AMC gains in ARK funds, and going to keep adding to them. Saving my initial investment for the ARKX IPO. Thanks for the tip @mikey

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:59 pm

Looks like they set that new sub to private. Here's the original post that started it all.

https://archive.is/Q5Pqr
I can see words in English in that post - but no freakin' idea what that post means... :lol:

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:28 pm

Invested my GME and AMC gains in ARK funds, and going to keep adding to them. Saving my initial investment for the ARKX IPO. Thanks for the tip @mikey
Enjoy your early retirement...:thumb:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:13 am

Which ARK funds? I'm looking at a 50/50 split or ARKK and ARKG right now.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:43 am

I threw a little into the ARKW

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:28 am

There's 58% overlap between ARKK and ARKW, and 30% between ARKK and ARKG (via https://www.etfrc.com/funds/overlap.php). I'm torn on what to actually do here.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:10 am

I read a little critique of the ARK funds, and the biggest "negative" is just that - the funds overlap quite a bit. And the main reason being they are heavily invested in Tesla. Which is fine if you are a fan of Tesla stock and see good things for them in the future. It also may explain their returns the past few years. With that said, you shouldn't expect more rockets with them unless they truly are great at picking up and coming stonks.

I still like the fund and where they are investing so I put a few ben'jins in to see where it goes.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:26 am

They trim off the Tesla shares as it becomes heavy, which is good; I'd be a little more worried if they just let it become overweight in the ETF.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:56 am

TSLA has unlimited gainz potential...