You spelled 'Joe Rogan' wrong

shmenguin

Unpopular Opinions Thread

Postby shmenguin » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:47 pm

Yeah but have you tried DMT?

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:57 pm

Good to see posts in this thread that live up to the thread's purpose.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:11 pm

Ok, it’s been a week now. Enough of the Kobe stuff. Lakers had their first game at home, the Super Bowl and the Grammys did their tribute, and even the PGA Tour (Kobe hardly played any golf) did something.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:25 pm

Agreed on T-Swift... Incubus hasn't been good since morning view.
I first heard of them on Make Yourself, which was already like their 4th album and the guys were only around 22 or 23 years old. I remember thinking, "If these dudes are still playing in 20 years, I wonder what they'll sound like."

Joke's on me, I guess.
If you take the best stuff from Light Grenades and Crow, you could make a solid album IMO. Lotta filler on those two though.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:36 pm

Ok, it’s been a week now. Enough of the Kobe stuff. Lakers had their first game at home, the Super Bowl and the Grammys did their tribute, and even the PGA Tour (Kobe hardly played any golf) did something.
Agreed...it's starting to get a little tacky, especially with all the questions to Finau, etc. about Kobe this weekend.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:47 pm

I'll give the NBA through the ASG. after that, time to move on.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:38 pm

Agreed.

I get that the Grammys doing their tribute since they were holding it at the Staples Center the day that he passed. There are a bunch of connections within the NBA, not to mention Kobe being one of the league's top players of all time, so I understand why players/teams would have a moment for him. And I'm not even saying it's not okay to personally grieve a week after his accident. Do that as long as it's needed. Some people need a few days, some people might need weeks. I get that.

(now for the possibly unpopular part)

But do we need a camera pointed at every moment where there's an 8 or a 24 listed? Again, I'm not saying it's not ok to do a personal tribute on a shoe, a stick, or a gesture after scoring. But where do you draw the line at planned game time dedications? Will MLB be doing tributes at the ASG? Should we expect a tribute at the Summer Olympics?

But as a side question only because you mentioned it, have you ever passed Kobe at a PGA event as a spectator or a participant?

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:50 pm

I’m not sure Kevin Smith has done anything useful in this millennium.

Edit: confirmed. I enjoyed Dogma, and that was the end of it. That was in 1999. Freaking Y2K bug got him.
I hate agreeing with this.

Jay and Silent Bob Go To Hollywood is ok, but oddly enough the 500 cameos knocked it down a grade for me.

I liked Clerks 2, and I liked that it they didn't overkill it with celebs, but it was always going to be tough trying to match up with the original.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:57 pm

Will MLB be doing tributes at the ASG? Should we expect a tribute at the Summer Olympics?
It wouldn't surprise me if every major sport had some kind of a tribute at its first sport-wide event (like an all-star game). And as Kobe was a multiple gold medalist I'm sure there will be something at the Olympics in Tokyo this summer; he was the 'ambassador' of the Los Angeles 2028 OIy Org Committee, and official presenter of their bid to the IOC.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:05 pm

I thought about that after I hit submit. There might be a little more to the Summer Olympics one, him as a multiple time gold medal winner ('08, '12) and somehow I knew he was part of the LA '28 Committee.

Those are good points and I'll take ownership by not editing it.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:13 pm

But as a side question only because you mentioned it, have you ever passed Kobe at a PGA event as a spectator or a participant?
I was in the office last Sunday after news started trickling out and I did a search for Kobe and golf and there were only scant mentions of him playing in a pro-am here or there and not even a PGA Tour pro-am. He may have popped over to the Genesis at Riviera if he was in town but I had never heard about it. He's definitely not like some other NBA players like Curry or Chris Paul (who was at the Phoenix Open on Friday afternoon ahead of his game in Phoenix on Friday nite) who are golf obsessed. However, Jon Rahm did have a floating 'appointment' to meet Kobe in a couple of weeks to discuss mentalities on and off the field of play.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:29 am

Spring is the worst season

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:54 am

I think for us in the south, @meow , that is absolutely true. It’s like get on with summer already, plus the endless pollen. But up north, I remember being excited for winter to end.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:03 pm

Pre losing a ton of weight: winter>fall>>spring>summer
Now: summer>fall>winter>spring

So I agree with meow.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:05 pm

:|

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:01 pm

Other than a few select items like dark chocolate peanut butter cups, Trader Joe’s is nicely labeled Great Value food played up as organic or healthier in some way.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:03 pm

They're right by the register.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:23 am

Other than a few select items like dark chocolate peanut butter cups, Trader Joe’s is nicely labeled Great Value food played up as organic or healthier in some way.
I remember somebody on my FB timeline going on some type of soapbox awhile back about eating organic and not losing any weight. Somebody actually had to explain to her that organic ≠ diet or low calorie, and it wasn't just one post either. It was one of those posts where you had to keep clicking to view all of the comments because she was in disbelief.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:39 am

When I tell people I’m gluten free, I often hear back “I should do that to lose weight.” I always try to explain that it isn’t a weight loss diet and the alternatives are often unhealthier. It’s a “I feel like I am going to die when I eat it” diet.

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:44 am

Winter is king.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:14 pm

Winter is king.
Still my favorite season. Low humidity. No bugs. No lawn care. Heating bills in the winter are cheaper than cooling bills in the summer. And nothing beats sleeping in a slightly chilly room under a big pile of heavy blankets.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:18 pm

Winter is king.
Still my favorite season. Low humidity. No bugs. No lawn care. Heating bills in the winter are cheaper than cooling bills in the summer. And nothing beats sleeping in a slightly chilly room under a big pile of heavy blankets.
We call this Fall in the South. :lol: Y'all can keep the ice and snow. That sucks, but I love the rest of it.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:48 pm

Winter in the north is summer in the south. Most of the time is spent indoors

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:17 pm

This time of year is my favorite. I really like hot weather, and triple-digit temps are pretty common through September and into October. Plus, in the Before Times you'd have the start of the NFL, NHL, and European soccer seasons within a few weeks of each other, along with the final races of the year for the various motor racing series I follow.

The tradeoff to the hot weather thing is that I really like rain, too. But we live in the desert, sooo......