LOL Weddings

Miami Vice

LOL Weddings

Postby Miami Vice » Tue May 23, 2017 9:32 am

God, what a nightmare. This is as awful as I always thought it would be. 10 weeks away.

The original plan was to do this http://www.siestakeyweddings.com/ and stay in a condo owned by a coworker. Cheap-ish and vacation included. Her mother and grandfather have never left the state of PA apparently, so that was axed by them.

She had a photographer in mind that would cut us a really good deal, but she waited too long to sign the paperwork and they took another job. The check I wrote to the girl doing them now was more than my 1987 Fiero GT cost me.

I own my own tuxedo. So do two of the other guys in the wedding. I figured we'd just wear them and I told the other dudes to just rent a traditional black tie outfit (either notch, peak, or shawl lapel, pleated shirt, black tie, black cummerbund) and apparently these clowns need more direction than that. One is arguing that he can just wear his dark grey suit. I don't understand why guys are wearing what looks like business suits to their weddings these days, but to each their own.

My future mother in law decided she would "pay for a cocktail hour." Which was a nice gesture. But in her mind "paying for cocktail hour" means paying an extra $100 to open the venue an hour early and buying a cheese platter or two. Not the cocktails.

My dad's cousin is a minister now, so I figured he could do the ceremony. Easy peasy. Nope, he wants to meet with us and give us religious counseling or something.

More to come.

Miami Vice

LOL Weddings

Postby Miami Vice » Tue May 23, 2017 9:34 am

We sent the invitations last week and got 3 RSVPs

One person put MY name on the RSVP with a ? in the field for how many would be attending. So I have no clue who that is.

The second came from her senile aunt. She put her own stamp on it. The letter was in our mailbox but didn't have a postmark - did she drive it from Erie PA? And she declined, saying she was busy that day and added a $25 check made out to nobody.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

LOL Weddings

Postby count2infinity » Tue May 23, 2017 9:39 am

Sucks to be you, bro. Ours was easy as hell, but my wife and I purposefully made it easy. The only snag was our photographer after the fact. Did you get the marriage license yet? If you're in PA and you haven't, just get the "self uniting" marriage license. Don't need a priest or any religious person of any kind. All you need is to say you're married and have two witnesses sign it. Boom, done.

mikey

LOL Weddings

Postby mikey » Tue May 23, 2017 9:42 am

Source of the post One person put MY name on the RSVP
:lol:'d at this...

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

LOL Weddings

Postby LITT » Tue May 23, 2017 9:46 am

the people that have a small private ceremony on a beach or something are spot on

we paid an dadholes ransom for our invitations. we sent envelopes to be calligraphied(?) and week before the RSVPs were due she said she couldnt do them so we found some lady through the calligraphers guild who bailed us out big time. that was probably our biggest hiccup

dodint

LOL Weddings

Postby dodint » Tue May 23, 2017 9:49 am

My wife has an uncle that worked in the Penn State publications office for, well, ever. He's retired recently. At the time he got us our invitations as a wedding gift. It was nice but he considers himself an 'artist' and added a third color to our scheme that clashed with everything else. Thanks for nothing.

Miami Vice

LOL Weddings

Postby Miami Vice » Tue May 23, 2017 9:50 am

We ordered save the dates from Vista Print or something and her mother was appalled by them, so she paid to have nicer ones done.

We didnt register for gifts because we dont need anything. I've lived on my own for 10 years and we've lived together for 3, in our house for 2. My aunt asks where we're registered, I tell her we are not. The she asks what I want her to buy for the shower. How about a water heater? its 19 years old and finally started leaking this week.

Miami Vice

LOL Weddings

Postby Miami Vice » Tue May 23, 2017 9:55 am

Source of the post One person put MY name on the RSVP
:lol:'d at this...
yea, i mean, did they think we were hosting multiple weddings for various people, and they wanted to make sure they were RSVPing to the right one?

Viva la Ben

LOL Weddings

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue May 23, 2017 10:00 am

My brother had his reception at a place in the south hills. It was about 18 years ago, and the place held multiple simultaneous events. There was a fistfight at the end of the night in the common hallway.

slappybrown

LOL Weddings

Postby slappybrown » Tue May 23, 2017 10:06 am

Great thread already and good luck

Side note siesta key is wonderful

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

LOL Weddings

Postby meow » Tue May 23, 2017 10:12 am

There was a fistfight at the end of the night in the common hallway.
Hellyes.gif

mac5155

LOL Weddings

Postby mac5155 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:14 am

My wedding went pretty smoothly. Other than the constant nickel and dime-ing that companies can do to you I had no complaints.

It is rather hilarious that guests make the day about themselves though instead of you.

Congrats, BTW.

DigitalGypsy66

LOL Weddings

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:40 am

I think weddings and specifically wedding planning is a couple's first deep interactions with their in-laws. These interactions are very telling about how the dynamic between the couple and their families will go over the course of a marriage.

My parents paid for the rehearsal dinner, which is typically reserved for members of the wedding party and out of town guests. My wife's degenerate aunts, uncles, and grandmother RAGED that they weren't invited. They all live 10 minutes from my parent's house, where we had the dinner. They fumed about this for YEARS after the fact.

My wife's parents were divorced, but were amicable. So there's that. The budget we set for the wedding was $5000 (this was 2003 lol), and we stuck pretty close to that. We budgeted for a champagne toast, but no open bar (couldn't afford it). My father-in-law, instead of ponying up another $500 for a full bar, invited all of the above mentioned degenerate aunts, uncles, and grandmother out to his car to drink during the reception. None of my family was invited. Classy.

When he passed away suddenly in 2008, we stopped talking to that side of the family (not my mother in law though). What a special group. :lol:

Miami Vice

LOL Weddings

Postby Miami Vice » Tue May 23, 2017 10:46 am

My dad passed away a few years ago and my mom is mostly retired now, so she doesn't have a lot of money. Still she wants to contribute how she can, which is nice. Her parents aren't super well off but they're pitching in more than I expected, which is also nice. I'm hoping our share doesn't creep above $6,000 (not including rings and dresses and stuff), and that gifts help defray most of it.

But since my mom tossed us a little bit of cash she asked I invite some people from her side that I never would have otherwise. The kind that will probably bring their [non-invited] children.

Dickie Dunn

LOL Weddings

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue May 23, 2017 10:57 am

Got married in Las Vegas. Extremely nice chapel. Had 12 guests. Ceremony, photographer, wedding planner, flowers, hair and makeup, and whatever the hell else ran about $1,500. Plus our flights, hotel, and wedding attire our wedding cost less than $3,000.

Of course, according to my wife's extremely religious grandmother we're still not actually married because it wasn't in a church and are therefore living in sin, so for a future anniversary we'll end up "renewing" our vows at a church in Mexico for a destination "wedding" that people can attend if they feel like paying their own way. With that sweet exchange rate everything would still be comparatively cheap.

dodint

LOL Weddings

Postby dodint » Tue May 23, 2017 11:17 am

Found out the officiant that married us is now divorced. His wife lost a ton of weight and is seeing some other guy, got her teeth fixed, etc.

I'd say bad omen but that's their problems, not mine. ;)

tifosi77

LOL Weddings

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:24 am

Most wackadoo thing I've seen at a wedding was the Best Man failed in his one job: Have the groom at the altar before the bridal processional. They were in a little ante-room off to the side (there's a Catholic word for this space, but I don't remember/care), and the music started and no one was up there. Father walked the bride down the aisle got to an empty altar, then the groom and best man appear out of the side room and scurry up to the altar to meet the bride and priest.

Six or seven months later at our own wedding, they were guests. As I was walking up the aisle (with my mom, no best man) I heard her say, "Oh look, the groom."

dodint

LOL Weddings

Postby dodint » Tue May 23, 2017 11:27 am

Why on earth would they walk the bride to an empty alter?

mac5155

LOL Weddings

Postby mac5155 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:28 am

But since my mom tossed us a little bit of cash she asked I invite some people from her side that I never would have otherwise. The kind that will probably bring their [non-invited] children.
We had people like this. Invited 2 of them and they added a third onto their reservation (an 18+ year old child). We didn't say anything about it even though it fumed me up terribly.

Wedding day, said added invitee didnt show. I was about to rage.

Morkle

LOL Weddings

Postby Morkle » Tue May 23, 2017 11:32 am

From what I remember about my wedding. It was a blast.

My only complaint was that we forgot alcohol on the limo bus during pictures. So I made up for it double time at the reception.

dodint

LOL Weddings

Postby dodint » Tue May 23, 2017 11:35 am

I got bombed at my wedding reception in Ligonier. Drank rum and coke all night then when they stopped serving I grabbed a bottle of blush wine and carried it around with me until I was done. And good lord, I was done.

mac5155

LOL Weddings

Postby mac5155 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:36 am

Haha, we stopped at the bar in the limo because it was stocked with crappy bottom shelf liquor (and we're all mostly beer drinkers). Got some cool shots of us buying 12 packs in a bar. Our photographer was following the limo and he got out of the Jeep, ran into the bar, jumped on a stool and just started shooting. It was so unexpected and some of the most awesome pictures we have.

DigitalGypsy66

LOL Weddings

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:36 am

Yeah, I was completely sober for my wedding, but it was all a blur...I remember very little of the ceremony or reception.

To this day, I find it hard that I'm a) married b) a father of two. :lol:

dodint

LOL Weddings

Postby dodint » Tue May 23, 2017 11:39 am

Source of the post Haha, we stopped at the bar in the limo
My wife was starving so we stopped at McD's. I projectile vomited out of the back window while the ordering was happening. Not once, but several evolutions. Even in my stupor I felt bad for the people behind us. I'm not that kind of public drunk person and it only happened twice in my life. The day I got out of boot camp at the BnB my wife got us, and the wedding reception.

mac5155

LOL Weddings

Postby mac5155 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:48 am

You had a limo drive you home? #baller
I could barely afford the time from the church to the reception. lol