Find this full quote for me and I'll give you 50$

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:58 pm

Its a Blaise Pascal quote, its relatively long.

He says something about being born to the particular time and place despite the infinite

inb4 someone thinks they're clever

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:01 pm

"He who sees himself thus will be frightened by himself, and, perceiving himself sustained... between these two abysses of infinity and nothing, will tremble... and will be more disposed to contemplate these marvels in silence than to explore them with presumption. For in the end, what is man in nature? A nothing in respect to the infinite, everything in respect to the nothing, a halfway between nothing and all. Infinitely far from comprehending the extremes, both the end and the beginning or principle of things are invincibly hidden in an impenetrable secret; he is equally incapable of seeing the nothing whence he has been drawn, and the infinite in which he is engulfed."

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:01 pm

Dammit

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:23 pm

That's actually not it. He specifically mentions his atoms in the one im ooking for

Believe me, I wish it was that one

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:30 pm

In the spirit of "Give a man a fish..." I have an offer for you. I'll teach you to google for $200.

:pop:

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:31 pm

I'll teach you to ask WK how to google for $350. Capitalism.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:31 pm

"When I consider the short duration of my life, swallowed up in the eternity before and after, the small space which I fill, or even can see, engulfed in the infinite immensity of spaces whereof I know nothing, and which know nothing of me, I am terrified, and wonder that I am here rather than there, for there is no reason why here rather than there, or now rather than then. Who has set me here? By whose order and design have this place and time been destined for me?"

:?:

"But to offer him another astonishing prodigy, let him behold the tiniest things he knows of. Let a mite show him in the smallness of its body parts incomparably smaller, legs with joints, veins in the legs, blood in the veins, humours in the blood, drops in the humours, vapors in the drops, which, dividing to the smallest things, he wears out his imaginative power, and let the last object which he arrives at become now the subject of our discourse; he might think that this perhaps is the smallest thing in the universe. I wish now to make him see therein a new abyss. I want to paint for him not only the visible universe, but all the imaginable immensity of nature within the confines of an atom. Let him see an infinity of universes, in which each has its own firmament, planets, earth, in the same proportion as the visible world; within this earth, there are animals and finally, mites, in which he'll find again the same things as he found in the mite he started with; and finding again the same things without end, let him lose himself in these wonders, as shocking in their smallness as others are in their immensity; for who will not admire our body, which before was imperceptible within the universe, imperceptible itself within the bosom of nature, and which is now a colossus, a world, or rather a whole, in comparison to the nothing, the smallness, we can't arrive at?"

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:37 pm

"He thinks, perhaps, that this is the minutest atom of nature, but I will open to him, within it, a new and fathomless abyss. I can yet exhibit to him, not only the visible universe, but even all that he is capable of conceiving of the immensity of nature, embosomed in this imperceptible atom. Let him see there an infinity of worlds, each of which has its firmament, its planets, its earth, bearing the same proportion to the other parts as in the visible world..."

"The whole visible world is only an imperceptible atom in the ample bosom of nature. No idea approaches it. We may enlarge our conceptions beyond all imaginable space; we only produce atoms in comparison with the reality of things. It is an infinite sphere, the center of which is everywhere, the circumference nowhere. In short it is the greatest sensible mark of the almighty power of God, that imagination loses itself in that thought."

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:42 pm

I'll teach you to ask WK how to google for $350. Capitalism.
I'll tach him how to ask WK for 175. Capitalize that

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:44 pm

Must have been about quarks.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:22 pm

In the spirit of "Give a man a fish..." I have an offer for you. I'll teach you to google for $200.

:pop:
I've been trying to rediscover it for over 2 years lol. Been googling a lot

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:23 pm

"He thinks, perhaps, that this is the minutest atom of nature, but I will open to him, within it, a new and fathomless abyss. I can yet exhibit to him, not only the visible universe, but even all that he is capable of conceiving of the immensity of nature, embosomed in this imperceptible atom. Let him see there an infinity of worlds, each of which has its firmament, its planets, its earth, bearing the same proportion to the other parts as in the visible world..."

"The whole visible world is only an imperceptible atom in the ample bosom of nature. No idea approaches it. We may enlarge our conceptions beyond all imaginable space; we only produce atoms in comparison with the reality of things. It is an infinite sphere, the center of which is everywhere, the circumference nowhere. In short it is the greatest sensible mark of the almighty power of God, that imagination loses itself in that thought."
Omg I owe you 50$

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:36 pm

You can make the check payable to "cash", that's what my friends call me...

Actually, this is gonna be fun...because I don't want the money personally...but I do want to open it up a select group of people here to decide what you will donate that money to...in your name...

I have randomly selected the following members: me, @dodint, @Shyster, @NailedPenguin, @nobody, @shafnutz05 and @Guinness...

I'm thinking $25 to Trump's 2020 re-election campaign and $25 to McDonald's...not the Ronald McDonald House, but just McDonald's...just a little donation that says both "keep up the good work" and "I love your non-dirt food"...

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:37 pm

I once got Pens tickets for buying a guy on LGP a pizza when he was drunk.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:42 pm

Doc Emerick right?

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:49 pm

I remember that thread, I still can't believe it happened

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:49 pm

McDonald's? McDonald's sells salads. Have him cut a check to Krispy Kreme.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:57 pm

Totally worth it

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:20 am

McDonald's? McDonald's sells salads. Have him cut a check to Krispy Kreme.
There was a great radio commercial a couple years ago extolling the awesomeness of bacon. It had a line where the VO guy was like, "It's so versatile it can even be used in salad. Salad!"

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:15 am

Doc Emerick right?

I remember that thread, I still can't believe it happened
You guys are correct. I still can't believe it myself. That guy actually bought 2 extra tickets beyond his season tickets. It was an awesome experience.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:53 am

You can make the check payable to "cash", that's what my friends call me...

Actually, this is gonna be fun...because I don't want the money personally...but I do want to open it up a select group of people here to decide what you will donate that money to...in your name...

I have randomly selected the following members: me, @dodint, @Shyster, @NailedPenguin, @nobody, @shafnutz05 and @Guinness...

I'm thinking $25 to Trump's 2020 re-election campaign and $25 to McDonald's...not the Ronald McDonald House, but just McDonald's...just a little donation that says both "keep up the good work" and "I love your non-dirt food"...
$50 to help fund the wall.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:11 am

Love me some Blaise Pascal. I keep a notepad of quotes I come across, and quite a few are his.

Almost named my first born Pascal. Duper, of course, was an influence, as is the fact I'm a mechanical engineer working in pneumatics, so I see the name everywhere.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:36 am

Donate it to The Human Fund

Money for People

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:41 am

Donate it to @Kicksave with the stipulation that avatars be allowed.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:03 pm

I'd settle for the time being correct so we can actually use it in GDTs.