Politics And Current Events

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:35 am

I stopped reciting it in high school because I was "woke" and even then (mid 80s) didn't believe that there was "liberty and justice for all". true story. :pop:

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:41 am

I had to recite it at my son's awards ceremony yesterday. Ugh, why? And I'm also over the national anthem before sporting events. Enough already.

I read this article about what Europeans find funny about living/visiting the US, and a huge number of them said the flag waving/nationalism. Like they don't get why we fly flags at our homes outside of Independence Day etc. I have not traveled abroad much, but I've been to Canada a few times - and other than a big Maple Leaf flag at a factory just over the border - you don't see many flags on homes. Gubmint buildings, banks, sure. But not flying on many homes - and we usually go around Canada Day, too.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:48 am

I fly a flag because it implies I'm a gun toting, America loving citizen and keeps any potential intruders away.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:54 am

I fly a flag because it implies I'm a gun toting, America loving citizen and keeps any potential intruders away.
Cat's outta the bag now, pal.

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:58 am

Guys with toupees are always hiding stuff.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:05 am

Guys with toupees are always hiding stuff.
🖕

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:17 am

:lol:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:33 am

Yeah, I don't think there is anything inherently "wrong" with patriotism. You can fly a flag out front every day while fully recognizing the numerous shortcomings of our nation. We are a deeply flawed society like most places.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:34 am

Source of the postWe are a deeply flawed society like most places.
How dare you... we're perfect. The best.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:51 am

Yeah, I don't think there is anything inherently "wrong" with patriotism. You can fly a flag out front every day while fully recognizing the numerous shortcomings of our nation. We are a deeply flawed society like most places.
I do think there is something dangerous about patriotism. I think it’s an easy path to those in power taking control of the population, similar to what happened after 9/11. Under the guise of patriotism and freedom we justified wars in countries that I and probably many others don’t really understand the why

And this isn’t to say that I believe in open borders or anything. I understand the importance of the separation of countries. But to me, I don’t “love” the US any more than I “love” the corporation I work for. I’m not proud to be an American, I just was born here and if it comes to the point where I feel like this country is really **** up I would have no problem moving to another country

I personally don’t see the benefit of people being patriotic

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:55 am

I think what you are describing is more akin to nationalism.

I have an affection for the traditions, culture, and history of this country. I was born here, my entire family was born here, and I will always have that love for the US and what it has had to offer us. A lot of that was instilled when I was young, and has been tempered by my experience as an adult.

There's a difference between that and thinking that America is the best country on Earth. Or, in the case of Christian Nationalism, believing that the US is somehow God's chosen nation, which is, of course, absurdly unbiblical.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:56 am

the CRT stuff is a great example of where patriotism hurts us more than it helps us. I think SOME of CRT teachings can be misguided but I do think many of the teachings are necessary; including but not limited to slavery/racial civil rights struggles, the near extermination of American Indians (and their modern struggles ie the poorest counties in the US are on reservations) and the interment of Asian Americans during WW2. All awful things and sticking our fingers in our ears because “America is the greatest” is actively harmful

If people want to sing the praises of the US then fine but actively ignoring the criticisms is very dangerous

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:59 am

I think what you are describing is more akin to nationalism.

I have an affection for the traditions, culture, and history of this country. I was born here, my entire family was born here, and I will always have that love for the US and what it has had to offer us. A lot of that was instilled when I was young, and has been tempered by my experience as an adult.

There's a difference between that and thinking that America is the best country on Earth. Or, in the case of Christian Nationalism, believing that the US is somehow God's chosen nation, which is, of course, absurdly unbiblical.
is there a difference between patriotism and nationalism?

And like I don’t disagree with you. I celebrate July 4 and do really appreciate the US’ traditions (including the tradition of civilian gun ownership) but I also can’t stand people who police others about flag code, for example. It’s a piece of cloth; I’m gonna leave it outside if it’s raining. If you complain to me I’ll tell you to eat a dick

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:15 pm

There is a huge difference.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:35 pm

ok. What is it?

I guess my point is that it’s subjective and definitions change from person to person. To me, both are bad

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:44 pm

I pledge allegiance to the mag...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:02 pm

the CRT stuff is a great example of where patriotism hurts us more than it helps us. I think SOME of CRT teachings can be misguided but I do think many of the teachings are necessary; including but not limited to slavery/racial civil rights struggles, the near extermination of American Indians (and their modern struggles ie the poorest counties in the US are on reservations) and the interment of Asian Americans during WW2. All awful things and sticking our fingers in our ears because “America is the greatest” is actively harmful

If people want to sing the praises of the US then fine but actively ignoring the criticisms is very dangerous
Thats just history.

Problem you are talking about here are bad actors demonizing the term CRT and confusing it with things they don’t like being told about.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:02 pm

They're just celebrating Santos inventing the AR 15. What's wrong with that?

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:17 pm

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:29 pm

ok. What is it?

I guess my point is that it’s subjective and definitions change from person to person. To me, both are bad
You seem to make that point quite often.

Anyway: I'm not a big fan of either, but nationalism is certainly the more dangerous variant. I think this is a pretty good definition (which I stole from the net; sorry, I'm lazy): Patriotism refers to devotion to a particular place and involves social conditioning and personal opinions. Nationalism involves national identity and a superior feeling towards one's own nation.

Of course, nationalists tend to frame themselves as patriots. Then they storm the Capitol where they get shot by patriots.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:30 pm

Source of the post Then they storm the Capitol where they get shot by patriots Antifa.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:41 pm

Falling back on "words mean whatever I want them to" is a great way to win any argument. :lol:

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:42 pm

Falling back on "words mean whatever I want them to" is a great way to win any argument. :lol:
Worked for the current administration and the word recession.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:46 pm

Did it though?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:49 pm

:lol: