Politics And Current Events

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:51 pm

What else are you going to invest in that will provide a reasonable rate of return?
It all depends on your definition of 'reasonable' in that context. IMO, a reasonable rate of return is all that Warren is pushing for.
Or would you be planning to never retire?
Guaranteed benefit pensions should be a mandatory requirement of incorporation, and should always be the #1 creditor.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:17 pm

Guaranteed benefit pensions should be a mandatory requirement of incorporation, and should always be the #1 creditor.
Who on earth would agree to fund new companies under those circumstances?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:38 pm

I'm finally getting a handle on what McCabe did that is getting him indicted. Very similar to the Comey firing, in that they are getting punished for making improper decisions that hurt Clinton's campaign.

So, yeah, **** him, he was a coward. I think both Comey and McCabe assumed Clinton would win, I bet 99% of their decision making process was based on assuming that the republican congress would spend all of 2017 investigating the clinton email server and the decision to not charge.
Not sure what actions by McCabe you're referencing here (the texts?). But as regards Comey's decision tree didn't he say as much in Congressional testimony?

McCabe leaked to the wsj that the Clinton foundation probe was open or proceeding or something to dispute some bs that alleged he **** it down. Point is, both of them broke protocol to combat any notion that they were somehow benefiting Clinton. As opposed to just staying out of it because it didn’t matter, they would be accused of such things regardless if Clinton won
Haha, I was out and about and blessedly news-free all day, so I didn't know what you were talking about here. Just popped into the forum while waiting for my lunch noodles and saw your post.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:48 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but..... aren't employees (and pensioners) ahead of shareholders in a BK liquidation? I thought it went secured creditors (because the debt is collateralized by some physical or real property), unsecured creditors (which includes employees and - sometimes - pensioners), and then shareholders.

That's a gross oversimplification, but I thought that generally that's how it broke.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:48 pm

People that have never paid any attention to the auto industry.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:59 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but..... aren't employees (and pensioners) ahead of shareholders in a BK liquidation? I thought it went secured creditors (because the debt is collateralized by some physical or real property), unsecured creditors (which includes employees and - sometimes - pensioners), and then shareholders.
That is correct. For companies that have pension plans, the pensions plans generally stand at the front of the line for any BK proceeds. In fact, I think they might come in front of taxes. That's why I referred to funding new companies. Most start-ups don't jump right into having pension plans, if they ever do. Defined-benefit pensions these days usually only exist for legacy companies in unionized industries.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:01 pm

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:39 pm

Huge applause for Democrats calling for using an executive order to confiscate guns. Do democrats want to lose PA, Ohio, and Michigan again?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:46 pm

Julián Castro touched off one of the most aggressive exchanges of the Democratic debate when he attacked Joe Biden for both his healthcare plan and then allegedly forgetting what he said about it just moments before
https://t.co/1OAcEDeOEI

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:51 pm

Huge applause for Democrats calling for using an executive order to confiscate guns. Do democrats want to lose PA, Ohio, and Michigan again?
Never mind those three. It would take the 64 electoral votes from NV, NC, FL, CO, and (maybe) NM off the table as winnable purple states, and solidify TX and GA as out of reach for at least another cycle at a time when solid Democrat candidates over-performed in statewide elections recently.

There's a saying in motor racing: To finish first, you must first finish. Beto and these other numbskulls talking about confiscation are not going to finish; I suspect they know this, or at least believe it to be the case, but recognize this as an applause line that will yield much Poli-Bucks for 24 hours and prolong their agony a few more weeks until the next batch of polls come out and they're still at 2%.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:54 pm

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:56 pm

No grenade launchers for Beto

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:22 pm

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:31 pm

I really wish yang or Pete had a shot.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:29 am

No grenade launchers for Beto

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:33 am

Beto was getting no traction, so he's become the gun guy after El Paso. Politicians gonna pander.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:35 am

I think at this point he's mostly campaigning for the VP spot, a Biden-Beto ticket probably makes sense. If he weren't going all in for the VP spot, he probably would have committed to the TX senate race.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:37 am

I think at this point he's mostly campaigning for the VP spot, a Biden-Beto ticket probably makes sense. If he weren't going all in for the VP spot, he probably would have committed to the TX senate race.
Any ticket with Beto on it loses because of his theatrics on guns.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:38 am

Make it Beto/Swalwell and I'm sold.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:47 am

There are so many worthless candidates at this point, I'm not sure it makes sense to single any of them out. Like Klobachar, what the hell is her purpose at this point?

Fire0nIce228

Postby Fire0nIce228 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:53 am

I'm not pro or anti gun - I dont own any guns - but I am scared shitless of politicians and/or people who do/want to run our Country saying they're going to take anything from the citizens. Land grabs and things like that for is bad enough but then where does that stop once it happens once for guns?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:55 am

They're coming for you vape pen.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:04 am

There are so many worthless candidates at this point, I'm not sure it makes sense to single any of them out. Like Klobachar, what the hell is her purpose at this point?
Joe Biden, 20 years younger, in a pant suit.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:04 am

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/09/ ... party.html

The NYTimes needs to just gut it's entire editorial staff and start over.
Weiss herself was not shy about the barbs. Her teary thank-you speech focused on the book’s subject, using a column by her colleague David Brooks to explain the Jews’ “survival and success.” But she credited her own social-media survival to her inner circle: “A lot of people, the first thing they say when they meet me is ‘You seem like a nice person; how do you withstand the things people say about you on Twitter?’ And the answers are standing here by my side. Chief among them is Nellie Bowles, who is by far the most unexpected thing to happen from working at the Times.” She thanked Bowles her “vetting” her online activity.

Fire0nIce228

Postby Fire0nIce228 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:04 am

I live in Michigan they're already here! ahhhhhhhh!