Politics And Current Events

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:22 pm

Technically she only lost six of the seven claims. She may lose the seventh eventually though.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:05 am

Who?

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:23 am

So refusing to hire Barney would be illegal, I guess.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:45 am

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:47 am

https://news.yahoo.com/michigan-college ... 04391.html

Isn't this kind of going backwards?

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:52 am

https://www.wgal.com/article/pennsylvan ... s/43179117

Missed this from a few weeks ago. Shapiro looking to have $2,500 tax credit for all new teachers, nurses, and cops in PA to incentivize people to go into the field. Personally I think this is a good idea. Like I mentioned before, those 3 careers I would not want to go into right now.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:14 am

I still wouldn't even consider going into those fields for a tax break like that.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:17 am

I get teacher and cop, but why is nursing lumped in with those two?

As far as I can tell, the obstacle there is the additional schooling requirements? It’s what, like one extra year of school and then you can pretty much get a job for a hospital system?

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:21 am

I'd guess the work culture of nurses is pretty poor.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:22 am

I'd guess the work culture of nurses is pretty poor.
Yeah, assuming you have to be as committed as a doctor for like a third of the pay.

But it’s still a respectable profession where you aren’t treading water financially
Last edited by Troy Loney on Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:23 am

Everything I know from nurses is on TikTok and Instagram, and everyone I've ever seen seems to be absolutely psychotic and drama filled. Also anti-vax.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:25 am

Everything I know from nurses is on TikTok and Instagram, and everyone I've ever seen seems to be absolutely psychotic and drama filled. Also anti-vax.
I think that first sentence is the tell right?

Kind of like how you can’t extrapolate from what people in your company say on fishbowl.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:33 am

Yeah great idea. Nothing like creating animosity between new and existing employees immediately. What could go wrong

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:43 am

I think that first sentence is the tell right?

Kind of like how you can’t extrapolate from what people in your company say on fishbowl.
Well I can say when my wife gave birth, we had a "natural" nurse who advised us against doing some things that both my wife and I were put off by. I have friend nurses that are the sweetest people on earth, but I'd imagine there are some bottom of the barrel type situations given what's been going on in healthcare for the past x years.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:46 am

Missed this from a few weeks ago. Shapiro looking to have $2,500 tax credit for all new teachers, nurses, and cops in PA to incentivize people to go into the field. Personally I think this is a good idea. Like I mentioned before, those 3 careers I would not want to go into right now.
So I’ve spoken to my wife about this. 2500 is nothing. Our healthcare system will be completely broken in a decade if more isn’t done to attract people into healthcare. And what I’m saying is all professional programs will need to be government funded.

There’s just no reason to become a doctor, pharmacist, nurse, therapist when you are coming out of school with hundreds of thousands of debt. There’s an amazing neurosurgeon I know at UPMC who is doing some things that no one else does. He is essentially a real genius. And he’s probably making a million a year. Yes, that’s a ton of money. But the guy didn’t start making a dime basically until he was done with his two fellowships at age 35. And he probably has 300k of debt too. So what does it take to attract these sort of people when he could easily become a partner at a consulting firm by that age and be making at least they much?

Pharmacy schools, nursing schools and med schools enrollment is way down. My pharmacy schools enrollment is half of what it was when I was there. People are realizing that going into healthcare just isn’t worth it in a lot of ways when you don’t make as much, needs to be schooled longer, and then on top of it deal with alot of people who are often downright nasty to you. It’s tough

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:55 am

So I’ve spoken to my wife about this. 2500 is nothing. Our healthcare system will be completely broken in a decade if more isn’t done to attract people into healthcare. And what I’m saying is all professional programs will need to be government funded.

There’s just no reason to become a doctor, pharmacist, nurse, therapist when you are coming out of school with hundreds of thousands of debt. There’s an amazing neurosurgeon I know at UPMC who is doing some things that no one else does. He is essentially a real genius. And he’s probably making a million a year. Yes, that’s a ton of money. But the guy didn’t start making a dime basically until he was done with his two fellowships at age 35. And he probably has 300k of debt too. So what does it take to attract these sort of people when he could easily become a partner at a consulting firm by that age and be making at least they much?

Pharmacy schools, nursing schools and med schools enrollment is way down. My pharmacy schools enrollment is half of what it was when I was there. People are realizing that going into healthcare just isn’t worth it in a lot of ways when you don’t make as much, needs to be schooled longer, and then on top of it deal with alot of people who are often downright nasty to you. It’s tough
Yep. Amazing to see higher education and healthcare, the two industries just sucking every dollar out of the country that they can, collaborating together to suffocate the country here.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:58 am

plus the actual art of practicing medicine and nursing has evolved dramatically. you are tethered to a PC and that is a barrier between the provider and the patient. less time actually spent being with patients more time documenting and staying out of trouble. and as the anti-vax comment above, the entire land scape is different now and has external factors that are more difficult and complex to mangae

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:15 am

plus the actual art of practicing medicine and nursing has evolved dramatically. you are tethered to a PC and that is a barrier between the provider and the patient. less time actually spent being with patients more time documenting and staying out of trouble. and as the anti-vax comment above, the entire land scape is different now and has external factors that are more difficult and complex to mangae
Social media and too many lawyers. I think this CYA aspect is a consistent theme across all industries, but I wouldn't dispute the impact on medicine is greater than say real estate. But the ability to broadcast experiences and mess ups immediately and unfiltered does likely impact how doctors and healthcare providers choose to care for people.

I don't really have an answer, my frustrations with the current environment are summed up in Trip's commentary. The burden we put on workers to accrue massive debt to learn a profession is bad for society. We can keep framing education from the viewpoint of a consumer, and that helps to distract from the issue of student load debt. But that just keeps allowing this education cost to go unaddressed, and as we're seeing, there are better ways to spend 500K and 15 years of your life than to become a doctor.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:25 am

My sister's a Doctor at a very respected Childrens' hospital. She assures me that just getting my MBA was a much better call than her getting an MS in epidemiology and her MD, both for the debt and years before you can start your career. And work paid 100% of my MBA, granted I went to PC which is not known as a great b-school, but nobody has ever asked.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:29 am

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... -rcna76260

Looks like Ron got himself in trouble with the donors.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:47 am

$2500 is MAYBE one months rent/mortgage. That’s not helping anyone

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:58 am

Last year one of the local hospital systems was giving a $15K sign on bonus for new nurses. I'm sure it had strings (I think it was spread out over 3 years), but it still makes a $2,500 tax credit seem pretty paltry. I'm fine with tax incentives for teachers and cops, but let the hospitals pay their own staff.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:02 am

Plenty of health systems in my area are still offering signing bonuses.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:13 am

I think we are in more trouble when it comes to physicians than anything else.

Again, we want doctors to be the smartest people in the room obviously. But when you a) don’t make as much, b) get your ass locked in school, c) get your ass kicked with loans, and d) have to commit your entire life to a profession moreso than any other profession, why do it? Just work for a hedge fund or some PE firm and live a life of making lots while not have to commit nearly as much as a doctor. You are essentially relying on people to do it out of the good of their hearts. And eventually that gets stale when you aren’t even respected by a lot of patients now.

Personally I’m fine with what I do. I like it, I have a stable job, and I’m paid well considering. Would I do it again? No I wouldn’t. I’d major in finance instead of biology, try to get a job as an analyst at a bank, and then work on from there. Or I’d work some bullshit consulting job, which wasn’t even an option 30 years ago, and make dough on the sales side or something

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:13 am

$2500 is MAYBE one months rent/mortgage. That’s not helping anyone
In Jefferson County pa?