Politics And Current Events

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:54 pm

It's hard to compare Islam and Christianity because one holy text specifically demands conversion or the sword.
One calls for conversion or the sword, one professes conversion or face eternal damnation in the lake of fire.

Comme ci comme ça, I guess.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:01 pm

Now we have/had the leader of our country pushing violent ideas and claiming he was divinely chosen to lead.
If we were to poll the 1/6 insurrectionists, what percentage of them do you think would say the Father of the Lord Baby Jesus Himself sent Donald John Trump down to Earth to be President? And how different do you think that percentage would be compared to 2-time Trump voters at large?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:08 pm

Islam’s inherent violence is part of the equation. You take a group of insincere elites, target disenfranchised and desperate followers and use the scripture agains their weak wills to justify a violent act. It’s unique to Islam, IMO.

Evangelicals aren’t using a verse in the Bible to justify racism or insurrection attempts. At least not as overtly as the concepts of Jihad and murdering non believers allows Islam to
What do you mean when you say "disenfranchised" and "desperate"?
I think it was the movie Syriana that demonstrated this pretty well. Migrant workers in the middle east toiling in what's effectively dangerous slave labor with no purpose or joy in their lives. They get seduced by the promises and the glamor of terrorist recruiters and the prosperity of a post-jihad after life...and the movie ends with the migrant worker blowing up an oil tanker or something.

even if that's not a completely accurate representation, it covers the playbook fairly well

it's not too different from most hate groups, and the equivalent of that migrant worker is a significant amount of american men who work with their hands. but islam has that sweet sweet afterlife, and a church-state in many cases.
Last edited by shmenguin on Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:09 pm

Hot take...Qanon ain't anything and won't be in the zeitgeist in a year.

At best, it's a way to locate rubes to recruit them into more dangerous hate groups.
There was a dude on the TV yesterday who made an interesting point. He stated that 1/6 - or rather its aftermath - was a real sobering up point for the Q wackos. They realized three fundamental truths at the exact same time: 1) They were powerless to prevent anything substantive happening via the insurrections because the Big Lie was just that; 2) they were absolutely not prepared for the legal and professional consequences arising from being identified as participants in the riot; and 3) there is not a 3, but I needed 3 points to make the Hamilton reference track.

But the point being that the Q crowd has largely receded into the internet ether once again, resorting to rage posting on message boards, cowed to inaction. So what is left are organizations like the Proud Boys and III%ers, which is why the FBI remains concerned because these are the people with military/police training and backgrounds and such, as opposed to dingbats with just a really strong dislike of Hillary Clinton coupled to not-fully-formed cognitive abilities.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:22 pm

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:36 pm

Islam’s inherent violence is part of the equation. You take a group of insincere elites, target disenfranchised and desperate followers and use the scripture agains their weak wills to justify a violent act. It’s unique to Islam, IMO.

Evangelicals aren’t using a verse in the Bible to justify racism or insurrection attempts. At least not as overtly as the concepts of Jihad and murdering non believers allows Islam to
I think it was the movie Syriana that demonstrated this pretty well. Migrant workers in the middle east toiling in what's effectively dangerous slave labor with no purpose or joy in their lives. They get seduced by the promises and the glamor of terrorist recruiters and the prosperity of a post-jihad after life...and the movie ends with the migrant worker blowing up an oil tanker or something.

even if that's not a completely accurate representation, it covers the playbook fairly well

it's not too different from most hate groups, and the equivalent of that migrant worker is a significant amount of american men who work with their hands. but islam has that sweet sweet afterlife, and a church-state in many cases.
While I liked Syriana very much, that's not really an accurate representation of the run-of-the-mill Islamic extremist moved to violence. By and large, they tend to be well-educated coming from fairly well-off families with the means to send their kids to higher schooling overseas, which tends to be where these people become radicalized. And prior to that radicalization there is commonly a paucity if not a complete absence of religiosity in their lives.

What you are describing is more likely the type to lob rockets at Israeli settlements while shouting INSHALLAH, as opposed to a jihadi.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:43 pm

Now we have/had the leader of our country pushing violent ideas and claiming he was divinely chosen to lead.
If we were to poll the 1/6 insurrectionists, what percentage of them do you think would say the Father of the Lord Baby Jesus Himself sent Donald John Trump down to Earth to be President? And how different do you think that percentage would be compared to 2-time Trump voters at large?
100%

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:46 pm

Can't afford a Tesla?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:47 pm

Talk about some awesome dudes

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:44 pm

Biden apologizes...kind of. :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:46 pm

Glad we got to the bottom of that.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:54 pm

God, I hope you aren't saying that you think Biden should apologize

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:01 pm

More surprising is she gave an answer without having to er and um her way through it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:06 pm

lolwut

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:13 pm

More surprising is she gave an answer without having to er and um her way through it.
Yeah. She doesn’t even bring props like the last lady.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:16 pm

Presented without commentary.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:21 pm

One other thing Neanderthals have going for them: They are extinct.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:39 pm

Christ almighty. You'd think Biden would've done a full-body imitation of someone with cerebral palsy, judging from Fox's reaction.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:45 pm

So insensitive, he must be canceled

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:45 pm

Man, I'm glad I've been burning the candles at both ends...less I have to hear about this now because I'm too busy enjoying my life, and I'll probably be dust by 60...

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:09 pm

Man, I'm glad I've been burning the candles at both ends...less I have to hear about this now because I'm too busy enjoying my life, and I'll probably be dust by 60...
**** yeah

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:45 pm

This country deserves to fall apart.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:01 pm

Wait...she’s super into Neanderthal culture and just their whole vibe. So then Biden called Abbott one of her favorite things. Why the complaint?

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:06 pm

If you use the word opprobrium in an article, I'm out. Feels like the author was right clicking on words in their microsoft word document and went to the synonyms button for a bit of spice.
Someone's feeling pervicacious today.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:11 pm

If you use the word opprobrium in an article, I'm out. Feels like the author was right clicking on words in their microsoft word document and went to the synonyms button for a bit of spice.
Someone's feeling pervicacious today.
You’re being obtuse