Politics And Current Events

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:15 pm

I dont believe the country has ever been so divided. You have two sets of people who see the same exact thing in completely different ways. Has this always been the case? Maybe, to some extent. This current division is destabilizing. Probably not that detrimental, in the big picture, but who knows.
The Civil War would like to have a chat. ;)

Certainly in my lifetime ('73-present), this is about as bad as things have been, politically. That is not a reflection of who sits behind the Resolute Desk, rather, who sits behind the Resolute Desk is a reflection of that divide. The people I know who were alive (and old enough to remember) in the late 60s have almost all said our current state is very reminiscent of that time. That was a time of much greater public discord and actual violence than what we see today, but it's not like it just up and one day was like that.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:16 pm

How is the U.S. currently destabilized?

Anyone?
I dont believe the country has ever been so divided. You have two sets of people who see the same exact thing in completely different ways. Has this always been the case? Maybe, to some extent. This current division is destabilizing. Probably not that detrimental, in the big picture, but who knows.

There is also a president who just lies all the time and has a core group of supporters who believe him and believe in him completely. And yes, every president has had this to some degree, but it’s a joke to consider that anyone has approached this level. Is that destabilizing? I’m not really sure right now, but it certainly could go in that direction.
There were car bombs going off nearly every day in the United States in the late 60's and early 70's. The murder rate was 75% higher than it is now. We were shipping body bags home from Vietnam by the dozens daily. Only on the made up world of the internet are we divided at this heightened level.

We are so arrogantly ignorant of real division and problems that we have to massively overblow the effect of a nincompoop to make ourselves feel important.
I hope you’re right, but I don’t think you’ve got a good read on the situation.

It is kind of funny how you seem to think that anyone who considers Trump “destabilizing” is just crazy and ignorant.
When whatever Democrat wins in 2020 we'll come back here and note that these Red Panic stuff has not come to pass.

Maybe I'm just jaded from all the people who implored me to believe Bush would become a dictator or that Obama was secretly bringing in the Caliphate.
The difference is, there was no evidence of either being any of that. That was people from the other side hating on each guy.

The Trump stuff is pretty real. I’m not sure how that can be ignored

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:17 pm

BLM and the Proud Boys, etc... make up .000001% of the American population. There are no actual real life effects of that stuff in the real world. The internet so balloons this stuff out of reality that we can't process it.
Yes, it does blow stuff out of proportion in the direct effect. The impact these things and how the media extends its reach has an impact on relationships though.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:19 pm

Freddy I don’t agree with you a lot, but in most cases you have a valid point and argument.

This argument just doesn’t make sense. If you don’t think trump and Russia has destabilized the us at all you’re just not watching. Jesus, there were BLM protests that Russian trolls organized!!!
Oh no!!! That’s so much worse than the government killing students at Kent State or the civil rights movements!!!!
Great one. Completely relevant
So those weren’t destabilizing times? Good to know.
Yup, there were destabilizing.

You won the argument.
You said they weren’t relevant in a discussion about destabilization. I’m wondering why they are relevant in your eyes.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:24 pm

Oh no!!! That’s so much worse than the government killing students at Kent State or the civil rights movements!!!!

You won the argument.
You said they weren’t relevant in a discussion about destabilization. I’m wondering why they are relevant in your eyes.
What does destabilization in the 60s have to do with Trump working to destabilize the US? You are arguing the degree of destabilization which has nothing to do with the new report.

You’re argument is that Trump hasn’t done as great of a job at destabilizing, which doesn’t matter one bit. The point is he worked to do it with a foreign adversary to destabilize.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:25 pm

BLM and the Proud Boys, etc... make up .000001% of the American population. There are no actual real life effects of that stuff in the real world. The internet so balloons this stuff out of reality that we can't process it.
Agree 100%. My mom keeps going on about "things getting so bad these days" and I cringe. The world is far from perfect, but by and large we're better off than every generation in the history of the world.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:26 pm

It's like people who say there is a war on cops or that we have to worry about terrorists at the border.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:27 pm

You won the argument.
What does destabilization in the 60s have to do with Trump working to destabilize the US? You are arguing the degree of destabilization which has nothing to do with the new report.

You’re argument is that Trump hasn’t done as great of a job at destabilizing, which doesn’t matter one bit. The point is he worked to do it with a foreign adversary to destabilize.
One of the top points in this argument was this is the most destabilized time in the US. That is a counter to that point. You aren’t this dense are you?

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:31 pm

You won the argument.

One of the top points in this argument was this is the most destabilized time in the US. That is a counter to that point. You aren’t this dense are you?
Again, I never said it was the most destabilized.

And I’m still not sure why that matters in regards to Trump

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:38 pm

How is the U.S. currently destabilized?

Anyone?

There is also a president who just lies all the time and has a core group of supporters who believe him and believe in him completely. And yes, every president has had this to some degree, but it’s a joke to consider that anyone has approached this level. Is that destabilizing? I’m not really sure right now, but it certainly could go in that direction.
There were car bombs going off nearly every day in the United States in the late 60's and early 70's. The murder rate was 75% higher than it is now. We were shipping body bags home from Vietnam by the dozens daily. Only on the made up world of the internet are we divided at this heightened level.

We are so arrogantly ignorant of real division and problems that we have to massively overblow the effect of a nincompoop to make ourselves feel important.

It is kind of funny how you seem to think that anyone who considers Trump “destabilizing” is just crazy and ignorant.
When whatever Democrat wins in 2020 we'll come back here and note that these Red Panic stuff has not come to pass.

Maybe I'm just jaded from all the people who implored me to believe Bush would become a dictator or that Obama was secretly bringing in the Caliphate.
What red panic? That’s not an accurate depiction of what I’m (and I think a lot of people here) are saying. There is space between destruction of the state and nothing wrong at all.

I never knew or interacted with people who thought that about bush or Obama. I do interact and know a lot of people who are full on Trump supporters that swallow everything he blows out.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:41 pm

You won the argument.

I don’t think anyone made that point. I said most divided. It’s not the same thing.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:42 pm

What red panic? That’s not an accurate depiction of what I’m (and I think a lot of people here) are saying. There is space between destruction of the state and nothing wrong at all.

I never knew or interacted with people who thought that about bush or Obama. I do interact and know a lot of people who are full on Trump supporters that swallow everything he blows out.
You need to find a more diverse crowd then. Some people in my office, before trump, believed Obama was the anti-Christ. The previous place I worked some believed Bush was the anti-Christ. Sure Trump is a whole other level of dumbass and controversy.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:45 pm

You guys are as bad as the FoxNews idiots who brought us Trump in the first place.

Take a deep breath and we can go back to Mitt Romney giving people cancer being our biggest worry in 2021.
I’m not sure how it’s not a big deal if the POTUS has actively worked against US interests

In fact, I don’t there could be anything worse in regards to politics.
Just about every president for at least the last century has actively worked against the interests of the American people. Most of Congress too.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:47 pm

You won the argument.

I don’t think anyone made that point. I said most divided. It’s not the same thing.
There is definitely a correlation between the two.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:49 pm

I had a Philosophy professor at Pitt in 2005 who swore up and down Bush was working with Blackwater and the CIA to not only bleed Iraq of oil, but to begin a monarchial Bush dynasty in the White House.

He did this for a whole class period.

I was told Mike Pence would open reorientation camps for gays.

People believing insanely dumb stuff is not unique to Trump people.

It's also not proof that Trump is a uniquely bad actor in our political history.

He'll be gone in 2020 and everything will go back to its boring routine.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:54 pm

You need to find a more diverse crowd then. Some people in my office, before trump, believed Obama was the anti-Christ. The previous place I worked some believed Bush was the anti-Christ. Sure Trump is a whole other level of dumbass and controversy.
My crowd is plenty diverse. Just because my experience doesn’t mirror yours, doesn’t mean it’s not relevant.

The point that the numbers of Bush/Obama extremists match those of Trump is completely inaccurate imo.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:55 pm

Just admit you were wrong. It’s not that hard. I do it all the time.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:59 pm

Just admit you were wrong. It’s not that hard. I do it all the time.
The house divided speech.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:04 pm

It's like people who say there is a war on cops or that we have to worry about terrorists at the border.
The local (Johnstown) news has a "Terrorism Alert Desk!" segment every half hour in from 5-6:30. Most of the time the stories they mention aren't even actual terrorism. It's just sensationalist BS to keep people scared.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:24 pm

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:30 pm

Using Wounded Knee in that tweet shows how incredibly clueless and tone deaf that buffoon is. What a disgrace. :face:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:01 am

The local (Johnstown) news has a "Terrorism Alert Desk!" segment every half hour in from 5-6:30. Most of the time the stories they mention aren't even actual terrorism. It's just sensationalist BS to keep people scared.
This may come of as a totally ripe a-hole comment, but i mean it sincerely.

I haven't lived in the area for over 20 years. What are the 'terrorism targets' in Johnstown?

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:22 am

I haven't lived in the area for over 20 years. What are the 'terrorism targets' in Johnstown?
Oh, it's a national bit. They probably play the same segments on small town news broadcasts across the county. The stories are rarely even in the US.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:12 am

I had a Philosophy professor at Pitt in 2005 who swore up and down Bush was working with Blackwater and the CIA to not only bleed Iraq of oil, but to begin a monarchial Bush dynasty in the White House.

He did this for a whole class period.

I was told Mike Pence would open reorientation camps for gays.

People believing insanely dumb stuff is not unique to Trump people.

It's also not proof that Trump is a uniquely bad actor in our political history.

He'll be gone in 2020 and everything will go back to its boring routine.

"Boring routine" before or after the economy collapses because of his poor decisions?

Guinness

Postby Guinness » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:00 am

You guys are as bad as the FoxNews idiots who brought us Trump in the first place.

Take a deep breath and we can go back to Mitt Romney giving people cancer being our biggest worry in 2021.
I’m not sure how it’s not a big deal if the POTUS has actively worked against US interests

In fact, I don’t there could be anything worse in regards to politics.
Just about every president for at least the last century has actively worked against the interests of the American people. Most of Congress too.
I think I love you.