Politics And Current Events

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:18 am

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:25 am

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... th/600292/
His speech has changed over time too. Software programs show that Trump currently speaks at a fourth-to-sixth-grade level. (Politicians are practiced at speaking to wide swaths of Americans, but Barack Obama, for example, according to those speech analyses, spoke at an 11th-grade level in his final news conference as president.) A study last year by two University of Pittsburgh professors examining Trump’s appearances on Fox News found the quality of his speech is worsening. They studied his comments over a seven-year period ending in 2017—ending just as his presidency began—and found that he began using substantially more “filler words” like “um” and “uh,” though the authors did not conclude that the change signaled cognitive decline.

Even a casual observer can see the disordered and nonlinear thinking behind Trump’s speech. A case in point was Trump’s rally last week in Minneapolis. Within minutes of taking the stage, Trump launched, without explanation, into a dramatic reading of what he imagined was the pillow talk between Peter Strzok and Lisa Page, a pair of former FBI officials who had exchanged text messages critical of the president. He gave no context as to why he was talking about them, leaving it to the audience to fill in the Mall of America-sized blanks. Trump never even mentioned that they worked for the FBI or that Strzok was at one point involved in the Russia investigation—just that they were “lovers” who disliked him. (Still, as theater, it seemed to work. When Trump cooed, “Oh, God. I love you, Lisa!” the audience laughed appreciatively.)

Ted

Postby Ted » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:33 am

Teacher strike in Chicago.

Union asking for 15% raise over three years, smaller class sizes, sanctuary protection for immigrants, and housing assistance for staff, among other things.

Guaranteed 15% over three years up and down the line. Hard to have sympathy for teachers with a demand like that which is totally detached from reality.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:38 am

"We looked the other way when Saudi Arabia gutted and cut up a journalist, but are concerned about words in diplomacy."

:lol:
Well, POTUS looked the other way when Khashoggi was murdered, too, so I'm not sure how that's a snickerdoodle on Turkey.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:39 am

Teacher strike in Chicago.

Union asking for 15% raise over three years, smaller class sizes, sanctuary protection for immigrants, and housing assistance for staff, among other things.

Guaranteed 15% over three years up and down the line. Hard to have sympathy for teachers with a demand like that which is totally detached from reality.
School system offered 16% over five years. Asking for 15% over three seems like how negotiations work.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:40 am

Meanwhile, Microsoft's CEO just got a 66% raise. CEO's in general averaged a 7% raise last year. Talk about detached from reality...

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:41 am

"We looked the other way when Saudi Arabia gutted and cut up a journalist, but are concerned about words in diplomacy."

Well, POTUS looked the other way when Khashoggi was murdered, too, so I'm not sure how that's a snickerdoodle on Turkey.
It is possible to point out the absurdity of Turkey saying this, without bringing up Trump.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:44 am

Meanwhile, Microsoft's CEO just got a 66% raise. CEO's in general averaged a 7% raise last year. Talk about detached from reality...
Private companies can do what they like. There is no comparison here if you were attempting to draw one.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:45 am

It is possible to point out Turkey's response to Trump without bringing up Trump. Hmm.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:38 pm

So apparently the company behind this is Dhvani, which has suddenly rebranded themselves as an "activist wear" company. I went to check out their Twitter page....

Ted

Postby Ted » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:34 pm

Well, this is creative anyway: https://www.yahoo.com/news/hillary-clin ... 57046.html

Almost as funny as the 2016 post mortem conclusion that Facebook cost Hillary the election.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:47 pm

It is possible to point out the absurdity of Turkey saying this, without bringing up Trump.
:lol: This is tops "I'm not a Trump defender, butttttt........."

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:53 pm

Turkey is suspected of using white phosphorus against Kurdish civilians in Syria

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/turk ... -jp23jmqvv

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:12 pm

So apparently the company behind this is Dhvani, which has suddenly rebranded themselves as an "activist wear" company. I went to check out their Twitter page....

Hey, if Tomi can do it on one side... :lol:

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:16 pm

Hillary attacking Tulsi is laughable. She acknowledges hard truths, I guess that makes her a Russian asset.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:18 pm

All those girls look better than shad's girl, Lena Dunham, so I don't know why the Seinfeld shutter.... :slug:

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:19 pm

Plus I remember the reality completely differently - Saudi Arabia was willing to pay Turkey a lot of money to "look the other way", US would have happily go with that - but it was Turkey that insisted on murder investigation. I don't think they did it because "murder is wrong", but "Turkey looked the other way" is simply an urban legend...

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:36 pm

All those girls look better than shad's girl, Lena Dunham, so I don't know why the Seinfeld shutter.... :slug:
Shudder, imo.

This imagery is pretty close to the stuff that got Kathy Griffin in trouble, right?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:41 pm

Shudder, imo.

This imagery is pretty close to the stuff that got Kathy Griffin in trouble, right?
Severed bloody head = Tape across mouth?
If that's true they would have only made it through half a Bond movie.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:42 pm

The 'hog-tied' one from the tweet is a bit more extreme, no?

I'm not offended, I think it's silly. Just pointing out there may be a parallel.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:44 pm

Speaking of Griffin

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:44 pm

Not sure there's any need to draw a distinction, seems pretty clearly to be encouraging violence.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:47 pm

Speaking of Griffin

Seems like Wohl and Burkman are making that up.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:49 pm

The 'hog-tied' one from the tweet is a bit more extreme, no?

I'm not offended, I think it's silly. Just pointing out there may be a parallel.
Yep, I had forgotten about that.
I think they're all stupid, violent imagery isn't necessary.
I was just commenting that on the scale holding a blood covered severed head is pretty far and away the leader at this point.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:51 pm

I love that disgruntled former staffer is in the write-up. Usually you keep that on DL to help their credibility, but since it's Wohl everyone knows its made up already.