Politics And Current Events

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:27 pm

There is most definitely a double standard. The courts have found that the law actually *was* violated in Florida, yet the media is acting like Trump and the GOP are crushing our democracy for pushing that issue. There are 100% shenanigans going on in Florida to try and shove Gillum into the governorship. Meanwhile, in Georgia, the only thing Abrams has done is complained about Kemp stealing the election and raising baseless claims with the same repeated talking points. Because remember folks, only Republicans "steal" elections.
Only republicans violate the law. Democrats fight the law, or accuse it of being racist or disenfranchising if it doesn’t always go their way.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:54 pm

Kemp didn't 'violate the law' or 'steal the election'...

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/10/ ... in/572899/

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:00 pm

Democrats fight the law, or accuse it of being racist or disenfranchising
Georgia's law is both.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:05 pm

Georgia's law is both.
So you think minority populations aren’t able to fill out voter information correctly?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:07 pm

It's still completely alarming to me that there was no statutory obligation for Kemp to resign his office when he announced his intent to run for governor. (Or any other office, really.) That's not an R-D thing, or anything to do with the way he conducted himself in office, or even anything unique to Kemp.

I mean wasn't one of the statewide candidates in FL a sitting Congressperson who had to resign their seat to run for another office?

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:08 pm

Georgia's law is both.
So you think minority populations aren’t able to fill out voter information correctly?
From the link I posted above:
One of the biggest flaws of Georgia’s current “exact-match” program is that it relies on the work of county election officials who input voter registration data into the match system. This means that errors in the system could happen not just by the person filling out the form, but also by the election officials themselves.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:10 pm

Georgia's law is both.
One of the biggest flaws of Georgia’s current “exact-match” program is that it relies on the work of county election officials who input voter registration data into the match system. This means that errors in the system could happen not just by the person filling out the form, but also by the election officials themselves.
So it affects everyone, not just minorities... it’s just a bad law.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:12 pm

It's still completely alarming to me that there was no statutory obligation for Kemp to resign his office when he announced his intent to run for governor. (Or any other office, really.) That's not an R-D thing, or anything to do with the way he conducted himself in office, or even anything unique to Kemp.

I mean wasn't one of the statewide candidates in FL a sitting Congressperson who had to resign their seat to run for another office?
He should have recused himself, but he doesn’t have unilateral power over the elections.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:15 pm

Georgia's law is both.
Nope.
Before the U.S. Supreme Court invalidated it in 2013, Section 5 required states like Georgia to submit election changes like this to the U.S. Department of Justice for review and “preclearance” before implementation. Kemp’s 2008 program failed that review because, as the Justice Department’s rejection letter read, the “flawed system frequently subjects a disproportionate number of African-American, Asian, and/or Hispanic voters to additional and, more importantly, erroneous burdens on the right to register to vote.”

Kemp’s program later passed federal muster in 2010 after he modified the program with a few new safeguards—though “it is not apparent that the Secretary of State ever followed the safeguards,” according to the lawsuit against Kemp’s current “exact match” program. Civil rights organizations sued Kemp in 2016 over this program as they discovered that his administration rejected nearly 35,000 voter registrations between July 2013 and July 2015—76.3 percent of which were for black, Asian, and Latino voters. Kemp agreed to suspend the program as part of the settlement of that suit.
African-American voters caught in the crosshairs of this program—they constitute 70 percent of the currently pending voter registrations despite having only 31.6 percent of the state’s voting-age population

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:19 pm

Georgia's law is both.
Nope.
African-American voters caught in the crosshairs of this program—they constitute 70 percent of the currently pending voter registrations despite having only 31.6 percent of the state’s voting-age population
Actually the part of the law that is bad, state officials typing it in wrong affect everyone, the other part is on the people themselves. So you believe that minorities need special treatment because they can’t do it by themselves, and we are led to believe that only republicans are racist....

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:29 pm

:lol: See additional quote in my previous post. Kemp has led a 10 year effort to disenfranchise as many minority Georgia voters as possible. Several federal decisions forced him to rescind previous versions of this law because they were blatantly discriminatory. Georgia will be sued again and will lose again because the law is blatantly discriminatory.
Last edited by Willie Kool on Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:29 pm

The implication is obviously that election officials are deliberately messing up the data input of African American voters.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:40 pm

The implication is obviously that election officials are deliberately messing up the data input of African American voters.
If it is a case of an election official being responsible for disenfranchising someone, it's probably more likely due to negligence or incompetence...

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:57 pm

:lol: See additional quote in my previous post. Kemp has led a 10 year effort to disenfranchise as many minority Georgia voters as possible. Several federal decisions forced him to rescind previous versions of this law because they were blatantly discriminatory. Georgia will be sued again and will lose again because the law is blatantly discriminatory.
So you believe that minorities need help to fill out registration...

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:00 pm

Pretty interesting.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/11/spor ... -race.html
No One Has Ever Crossed Antarctica Unsupported. Two Men Are Trying Right Now.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:00 pm

Some people of all races need help, but that's not the point and you know it.

Exact match laws are implemented to deliberately disenfranchise people - predominantly minorities.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:08 pm

Pretty interesting.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/11/spor ... -race.html
No One Has Ever Crossed Antarctica Unsupported. Two Men Are Trying Right Now.
Pffft, give global warming a long enough timeline and anyone can do it.

;)

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:40 pm

Exact match laws are implemented to deliberately disenfranchise people - predominantly minorities.

I’m sorry you believe that minorities aren’t able to do it. It’s ok... as South Park says, everyone is a little bit racist. Some... more than others.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:47 pm

:roll:

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:54 pm

I’m sorry you believe that minorities aren’t able to do it. It’s ok... as South Park says, everyone is a little bit racist. Some... more than others.

That was Avenue Q.
Last edited by MR25 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:55 pm

I'd probably be screwed in an exact signature match situation.

My signature when I was 18 (that is still on my registration) is nowhere near my current Hancock.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:01 pm

My signature reflects my mood.

I also vote in person instead of relying on the USPS and these weak ass vote counters.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:05 pm

Same here, MR. I have no idea what my 1997 registration signature looks like.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:27 pm

That was Avenue Q.
My bad. It was avenue q.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:52 pm

So nobody thinks literacy tests are ok, got it.