Politics And Current Events

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:20 pm

'In this indictment'.

Rosenstein was very clear to make that distinction.

And also, the US person who pleaded guilty to identity fraud in relation to this two weeks ago specifically said that the facts to which he was attesting in the plea does not constitute his full knowledge of facts relating to these matters.

The phrase that I heard over and over yesterday was 'speaking indictment'. There is information in that document that goes beyond what is legally required to support the charges. Some have said it was basically a message to the President.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:22 pm

@RepAdamSchiff
To those who have been wondering how “collusion” might be charged, the Special Counsel has now given us a good indication:

But that only deals with the 13 Russian nationals... Rosenstein literally said no American or campaign person knowingly knew about these people’s intentions.

That they know of... yet.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:32 pm

“With persons known and unknown to the grand jury”

Rosenstein also said the investigation is ongoing

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:37 pm

The ability to think is helpful, when interpreting language and writing. Roland Barthes probably would offed himself, rather than having to process the nonsense at hand.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:44 pm

The ability to think is helpful, when interpreting language and writing. Roland Barthes probably would offed himself, rather than having to process the nonsense at hand.
Well you’re screwed... :pop:

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:53 pm

There isn’t a short or long term change related to your post. It was an accurate observation but a complete dead end.
If what you mean is our culture likely to see the wisdom and superiority of a sustainable Agrarian, Localist world any time soon rather than the materalistic, technocratic, and urban culture they prefer than yes, that is likely a "dead end" right now.

Giving this some thought, I think you might be happy living on the South Island of NZ. Not kidding. You could still stream Pirates games. ;)

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:25 pm

Did @Guinness ever move to Liberland?

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:31 pm

Schedule of ad campaigns the Russians were running:

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:33 pm

Are you implying that some of our fellow posters are Russian cut outs?

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:35 pm

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:39 pm

I had a photo shoot today and, as usual, I arrived early. My reward was getting to listen to the 90+ year old great grandmother rant about Hillary Clinton, illegals, Nancy & Chuck, etc. for 15 minutes. It was like a geriatric Fox News. ;)

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:52 pm

Are you implying that some of our fellow posters are Russian cut outs?
Most likely unwitting.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:07 pm

IMO, sexual frustration is more of a factor.
This is an underrated post. I don't think it's a coincidence that most of these shooters are 4chan /pol types that are almost certainly on the spectrum and are outcasts in school. There have been a bunch of manifestos, or what have you, that talk about frustration with girls dissing them, spurning their efforts to profess their feelings for them, etc. It's obviously not the only factor, but it certainly helps send these already mentally fragile guys off the deep end.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:30 pm

The mass murderer who killed 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School was the subject of a social services agency investigation in 2016, because he was cutting himself and posting it on Snapchat.
https://t.co/3I8iCTi1Me

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:32 pm

I think there is something to be said for the fact all these shootings happen in the suburbs. The weapons capable of this kind of destruction have been around for a long time, they just "look" scarier now. So what has changed to make this happen more regularly? Primarily the one common denominator is that each one of the perpetrators came from a broken home, some with no father at all. All lack any kind of moral framework, which regardless of one's views on the "right" version of that (and I obviously have an opinion ;) ), they all inculcate in the recipient a basic understanding of right and wrong. You had boys with no ethical oversight, overstimulated with violence in media/entertainment, and a deep resentment that have no way to process and it is a powderkeg. You add a soulless and anti-community suburb to that, it just raises it even further.

The whole Thomas Dewey/Horace Mann mechanized schooling concept is not good for the mental health of kids, especially of boys.
Broken homes could certainly be a factor, but has that gone up significantly? Also, what constitutes a broken home?

The suburbia thing I don’t buy at all. Soulless and anti-community? In what ways? The ones that I’ve experienced actually have kids that go out and play together, there are neighborhood barbecues and holiday events, and there is a decent “community” feel.

As I mentioned earlier, I think a big aspect is the social media part making kids feel more isolated than they actually are.

Another aspect that I think could contribute is how sports are now. Many kids specialize in a sport early on instead of playing all the sports they can for several years. If they try to play just one sport, and then don’t make a middle school team in that sport, they’re done with sports. I believe that being a part of a team has a huge positive impact on kids. Taking that away can do a lot of harm.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:44 pm

IMO, sexual frustration is more of a factor.
This is an underrated post. I don't think it's a coincidence that most of these shooters are 4chan /pol types that are almost certainly on the spectrum and are outcasts in school. There have been a bunch of manifestos, or what have you, that talk about frustration with girls dissing them, spurning their efforts to profess their feelings for them, etc. It's obviously not the only factor, but it certainly helps send these already mentally fragile guys off the deep end.
On what spectrum?

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:49 pm

Oh, the spectrum is certainly an issue here.

eddy

Postby eddy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:51 pm

@PressSec
Unlike Obama, @POTUS isn’t going to be pushed around by Russia or anybody else. As he said yesterday: It’s time we stop the wild and false allegations that further the agendas of bad actors like Russia & unite as Americans to protect the integrity of our democracy & our elections
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

eddy

Postby eddy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Cannot believe how BADLY DACA recipients have been treated by the Democrats...totally abandoned! Republicans are still working hard.

Isn't that dadhole responsible for ending DACA? These 2 tweets back to back are gold

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:24 pm

It was like a geriatric Fox News. ;)
Which, really, is just Fox News.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:25 pm

While well-intentioned, doing DACA as an executive order in the first place was a mistake. All it really did was create a 'deport me' list with names and addresses for ICE.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:29 pm

Went up into the city today to hit the Japanese Tea Garden in GG Park. (Sakura are blooming all over the Peninsula, so we were hoping to find them in a proper setting; alas, the trees in the garden haven't started blooming yet.) Exited BART at Civic Center and found ourselves in the middle of a Falun Gong lunar new year parade. It was kinda neat; the one organizer said the local Chinese community won't let them march in the 'official' parade, so they have to have their own. That was kinda surprising to me.

eddy

Postby eddy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:31 pm

https://twitter.com/MichaelSkolnik/stat ... twterm%5E1

That is some speech by the 16 year old.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:37 pm

Should we trust the FBI or an unverified account of someone claiming to be a Facebook exec?
“I have seen all of the Russian ads and I can say very definitively that swaying the election was *NOT* the main goal.”
Rob Goldman
Vice President of Facebook Ads
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/sta ... 1670694912

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:18 pm

Facebook has to take this approach. Their entire business model depends on identifying and exploiting user trends. Right now, it's pretty relaxed and groovy with little additional regulation on top of what's normally in place for the type of advertising (e.g. can't promote an M-rated game to an account of someone under 17). If it can (and likely will) be shown that Facebook's advertising policies and practices can criminally exploited like this, the result will be pretty hefty restrictions that will severely hamper their ability to micro-target ads. In other words, it will cost them god knows how much in revenue.

Every user nets about $12 per year in revenue to Facebook, and that prorates out to a billion in ad revenue per quarter.