Politics And Current Events

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:23 pm

Carter/Mondale 2020 - Tha Carter II

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:42 pm

I just had to look up Mondale to see if this was true because I didn’t believe it.

You were right
I looked it up too. ;)

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:49 pm

After Shyster's post, I was going to suggest a Mondale/Ferraro repeat. Turns out, she died a few years ago.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:03 pm

For a party that appeals more to the younger generation, they're run by a bunch of old people.
Yeah... It's definitely some cognitive dissonance.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:18 pm

After Shyster's post, I was going to suggest a Mondale/Ferraro repeat. Turns out, she died a few years ago.
So did the American political system. So don’t let that stop them.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:22 pm

For a party that appeals more to the younger generation, they're run by a bunch of old people.
There was a thing in the '14 or '16 Congress where the average age of the two caucuses was like -23 years to the GOP or something. It was a huge difference, even accounting for the fact that average member of Congress is like 20 years older than the average American.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:12 pm

BREAKING: Federal judge in Texas rules Obama's health care overhaul unconstitutional.
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1073769261175316481?s=19

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:02 pm

*You can replace Sanders with Biden and it still all applies.
Please no.
Was going to say, lol. No.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:20 pm

BREAKING: Federal judge in Texas rules Obama's health care overhaul unconstitutional.

This is a great time to run a hypocrisy check. Are the same people who cheered when single federal district judges did stuff they liked, such as striking down the administration's immigration rulings, now complaining that a single federal district judge shouldn't be able to strike down a law like the Affordable Care Act? Are the same people who attacked Trump for referring to "Obama judges" now attacking this judge on the basis that he is from Texas or was appointed by a Republican?

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:20 pm

:pop:

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:29 pm

I'm not. Wake me up if you find one here.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:33 pm

Activist judges are bad no matter the reason

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:26 pm

If you’re really trying to find a hypocrite, just check out the twitter feed by our one and only Orange President.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:54 pm

Good for him, dump the aca and expand Medicaire

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:59 pm

Price gouging for a big event? Why I never...
If the Trump hotel charged more than the going rate for the venues, it could violate tax law. The inaugural committee’s payments to the Trump Organization and Ivanka Trump’s role have not been previously reported or disclosed in public filings.

“The fact that the inaugural committee did business with the Trump Organization raises huge ethical questions about the potential for undue enrichment,” said Marcus Owens, the former head of the division of the Internal Revenue Service that oversees nonprofits.
They always happens after natural disasters down here and some sheriff dude will come on TV and make a big show about violators and then nothing happens.

In the scheme of things related to Trump's inanity this is like a 2.
I cant piece together the logic here. This isn’t like a peak pricing situation, it’s basically just shoveling money from the innagurial fund to trump and his business. And this is just what we know so far, trump treated this thing like a slush fund. I’m not sure what the legal ramifications are, but it seems about as clear as day that this fun was just transferred to trump through their shady accounting practices.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:33 pm

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1073769261175316481?s=19

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:01 pm

This is a great time to run a hypocrisy check. Are the same people who cheered when single federal district judges did stuff they liked, such as striking down the administration's immigration rulings, now complaining that a single federal district judge shouldn't be able to strike down a law like the Affordable Care Act? Are the same people who attacked Trump for referring to "Obama judges" now attacking this judge on the basis that he is from Texas or was appointed by a Republican?
Since we're checking, let's see how many people we can find who were booing a single District Court judge for nuking something they approved of who are now singing from the hills.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:01 pm

Good for him, dump the aca and expand Medicaire
That's the inevitable endgame imo.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:13 pm

Price gouging for a big event? Why I never...
If the Trump hotel charged more than the going rate for the venues, it could violate tax law. The inaugural committee’s payments to the Trump Organization and Ivanka Trump’s role have not been previously reported or disclosed in public filings.

“The fact that the inaugural committee did business with the Trump Organization raises huge ethical questions about the potential for undue enrichment,” said Marcus Owens, the former head of the division of the Internal Revenue Service that oversees nonprofits.
They always happens after natural disasters down here and some sheriff dude will come on TV and make a big show about violators and then nothing happens.

In the scheme of things related to Trump's inanity this is like a 2.
I cant piece together the logic here. This isn’t like a peak pricing situation, it’s basically just shoveling money from the innagurial fund to trump and his business. And this is just what we know so far, trump treated this thing like a slush fund. I’m not sure what the legal ramifications are, but it seems about as clear as day that this fun was just transferred to trump through their shady accounting practices.
Yeah, if I'm not mistaken didn't this surface (at least part) because of vendors complaining about pricing and payment arrangements? I mean, there are concerns about straw donors covering for foreign nationals, and I think there were also claims of the inaugural committee’s trying to contractors to bill donors directly or something like that. It's not just price gouging, like how membership dues at Mar-a-Lago tripled after the election.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:04 pm

I believe the concerns stem from them raising twice as much money and holding a fraction of the events. It’s also very intriguing that this friend of melania who’s firm was paid something like 25 million, according to the fund’e books, was the one on tape expressing concerns to Cohen and also I think sending the emails to Ivanka about the bills from the hotel

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:07 pm

Basically the trumps are professional fraudsters, they existed in the cesspool that was real estate development for ages. They’ve probably all convinced themselves that this is how you do business and were in no shape to face actual scrutiny.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:32 am

Iranian foreign minister @JZarif at #dohaforum: "If there is an art we have perfected in Iran -- and we can teach it to others for a price -- it is the art of evading sanctions."
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedBen/status/ ... 52133?s=19

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:59 am

Iranian foreign minister @JZarif at #dohaforum: "If there is an art we have perfected in Iran -- and we can teach it to others for a price -- it is the art of evading sanctions."
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedBen/status/ ... 52133?s=19
Wow, that’s a serious troll right there

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:10 am

A REAL scandal is the one sided coverage, hour by hour, of networks like NBC & Democrat spin machines like Saturday Night Live. It is all nothing less than unfair news coverage and Dem commercials. Should be tested in courts, can’t be legal? Only defame & belittle! Collusion?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:12 am

Yes. It can’t be legal for a sketch show to play to their audience. Should be tested in courts.